Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 22

Washer/Dryer Suggestions

Moving to a duplex in a few days and we are needing a washer and dryer. I have looked around the last few days. I know I want a front loading washer. I also only want to spend around $1400 for the washer and dryer together.

I have my eyes on these:

Samsung DV220AEW

Samsung WF220ANW

Anyone have similar ones or other suggestions. Thanks for the help in advance.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Rookie
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Washer/Dryer Suggestions

[QUOTE=tman24;1976090]Moving to a duplex in a few days and we are needing a washer and dryer. I have looked around the last few days. I know I want a front loading washer. I also only want to spend around $1400 for the washer and dryer together.

I have my eyes on these:

Samsung DV220AEW

Samsung WF220ANW

Anyone have similar ones or other suggestions. Thanks for the help in advance.[/QUOTFront Loaders are great for water savings and it gets em clean. However, there is NO soak cycle if you have small children as the water level is only about 3 inches. I have had both and I like the front loader. I wouldn't spend too much money for them however. I would buy a cheap set to see if I like the DNA then upgrade accordingly. IB

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 34

Those will probably work well. I bought a set one year ago. They are LG 2301 and have been very happy with them. It was going to get either the LG or Samsung, but the LG was cheaper and the replacement parts are easier to get.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Speed Queen only. Limited numbers of selling locations, made in WI, best reliability in the industry. Each unit is $550, plus or minus. Don't need all the bells and whistles. Front loading saves water but that's not a consideration in the Midwest. Save the money.

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

You might also want to look at the Maytag Bravos series. We just bought some of these earlier this year, and even though it is a top loader, it conserves water as it is agitator-less and only uses water necessary in comparison to the load size.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

We have an older model of this:

LG Electronics 4.0 cu. ft. Large Capacity Front Load Washer - WM2140CW at The Home Depot

We love them. The dryer is selected separately. The nice thing about the LG is the motor is direct drive to the tub cylinder. There isn't a belt.

They are very quiet and the spin out goes at such a high RPM that the clothes come out really dry and helps save on the drying cost.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 186

2 years ago we got a set of Samsungs at Sears pre black friday sale(2 or so weeks before actual black friday). The set was $900 for both, about half price of normal. We had to wait a month or so to get them, but they work pretty well. The only down side is during the final spin it gets a little load for a second, but we've been very happy with them so far. If you can wait until then, I would see if they have a similar deal.

#BEATIOWA

Prospect
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

WORTH IT TO TAKE A LOOK AT THESE!

Menards.com - Weekly Ad

hopefully the link works but this is the Whirlpool Cabrio Washer and Dryer package that Menards has been running a special on for the past few months. The washing machine was originally $900 and the dryer $700. It is the largest top load washer on the market - 5.0 cubic feet.

They are on sale for $800 for the washer and $650 for the dryer, but you get a $200 Menards credit rebate for each, so it brings the price down to $600 for the washer and $450 for the dryer.

My wife and I upgraded to this set a couple of months ago and have loved the set. We weren't really planning on upgrading my my in-laws and my brother in law both have this set and had nothing but good things to say about it. After talking with the Menards people when we bought the machine, this is the end of the year model and Menards basically bought up the rest of the supply and that is the reason they are offering the large rebate.

We've loved ours and it has definitely decreased the number of loads we do each week. It will cost you around $1500 with tax up front, but you get the $400 in Menards credit after you fill out the rebate form. We shop at Menards alot so it ended up being a great deal for us, but you cannot use the rebate on the actual purchase. Once you fill out the paperwork, you get the rebate check about 4-6 weeks later.

Good luck.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 136

The repairman just left my house and apparently my Maytag Neptunes set some kind of record for living 12 years. But, now I need a new washer. What did you end up getting and do you like it?

And it cost $60 for the guy to spin the drum with his hand and say "That's not good, you need a new one"

EDIT: that is a record for Maytag Neptunes, not in general. Apparently they had a lot of problems with that model.

Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post
    Moving to a duplex in a few days and we are needing a washer and dryer. I have looked around the last few days. I know I want a front loading washer. I also only want to spend around $1400 for the washer and dryer together.

I have my eyes on these:

Samsung DV220AEW

Samsung WF220ANW

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 308

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    The repairman just left my house and apparently my Maytag Neptunes set some kind of record for living 12 years. But, now I need a new washer. What did you end up getting and do you like it?

And it cost $60 for the guy to spin the drum with his hand and say "That's not good, you need a new one"

EDIT: that is a record for Maytag Neptunes, not in general. Apparently they had a lot of problems with that model.
    I just bought these:

WHIRLPOOL WFW94HEXW washer (#1 in Consumer Reports)
    WHIRLPOOL WED94HEXW dryer

$1599 TOTAL from appliancesconnection.com, which was $800 less than Sears. Came via freight, which took almost three weeks, but it was worth it to save the money.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 308

Quote Originally Posted by leroycyclone View Post
    Speed Queen only. Limited numbers of selling locations, made in WI, best reliability in the industry. Each unit is $550, plus or minus. Don't need all the bells and whistles. Front loading saves water but that's not a consideration in the Midwest. Save the money.
    Do you have any backup for your claims? I have not seen any data naming Speed Queen as a champion of reliability. I haven't seen anything saying they are bad, either.

Their washing performance is middle-of-the-road compared to other brands, but rated "good" overall in Consumer Reports testing.

There are many other models that are superior in performance and actually cost a lot less. I also don't see any support for your price claims, as Consumer Reports gives the price range for Speed Queen between $1300-$1600.

Lastly, I also don't understand your claim that Midwesterners shouldn't care about saving water?

Legend
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 1,447

We just bought this (and the matching dryer) this weekend at Nebraska Furniture Mart:

http://hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp...roductID=73189

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post

Yep I ended up getting those ones I posted. So far I haven't had any problems.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post

I have my eyes on these:

Samsung DV220AEW

Samsung WF220ANW

We have the 218 models and really like them. We have 6 people in the house and have had no issues whatsoever in the 2 years of use..

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 44

ajmadison.com has the cheapest prices of anyone.
    I bought the 210 versions of the samsung washer and dryer. I've only had them for a few months so I can't speak for reliability, but they're very quiet, and only cost about $1000 for the pair.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy