Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Is the Big 12 down, or is it Texas?

I personally think the Big 12 is down a little bit (as well as college football overall), but I think the perception of most people is being shaped by Texas being down.

Think about it. Nebraska is the best they've been in ten years. Despite Missouri's loss today, the Tigers are having one of their best seasons in school history. Oklahoma is about what they usually are. Oklahoma State is having another good season. Kansas State is better than they've been in recent years. Baylor is having a great year. Iowa State is the best they've been in five years, even if the record doesn't show it because the schedule is so tough. Texas A&M and Colorado are about the same as they've been recently.

So what's the biggest difference between this year and other years? Texas is down. I can't help but think the league would be seen in a better light if Texas had won the past two weeks.

Every year we hear about how great the SEC is and how they "beat up on each other" because Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, etc. are able to compete with and beat the big boys. When it's the Big 12, however, and Baylor, Iowa State, etc. are competing with the big boys, it means the conference sucks. It's a double standard.

Taking a closer look at the divisional level, we've heard all the time over the past several years about how terrible the Big 12 North is. How much discussion have you heard this year about how pitiful the SEC East is? There's a good chance the team that wins the East is going to have three conference losses. Heck, the third best team in the division lost to Colorado.

It's all about perception. If Indiana, Illinois, and Northwestern were all 11-1, but Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State were 7-5, the consensus would be that the Big Ten is down because the top teams are. The SEC is the only conference that doesn't ever have to worry about that because they have the most big name teams. If one or two of them are down, it doesn't affect the way people view the league.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,422
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 14

Re: Is the Big 12 down, or is it Texas?

I agree. I think the Big 12 is down, but not nearly as much as some in the media would have you believe.

I also think the Big 12 is very even this year. The Big 12 is more like the Big 10 usually is with 1 or 2 excellent teams and a bunch of good teams. The media of course thinks this a positive when it happens in the Big 10, but apparently it is crap when it happens in the Big 12.

I was pulling for Texas b/c I don't want anything to cheapen our win there. Oh well, they still beat Nebraska.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

All I know is everyone is getting beaten in the conference.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

I do not know if the Big 12 is down or not. What it lacks are premier teams that are true national title contenders.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    All I know is everyone is getting beaten in the conference.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29uxLWUOwEw]YouTube - Whose Line Is It Anyway: Super Heroes[/ame]

Starter
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 695
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Not a dominant team in all of college football this year.

Addict
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 42

Not very top heavy but solid mid range teams. Better than usual IMO. Kansas is the only horrible team. The Big 10 has Purdue, Minnesota and sometimes Indiana in that horrible category. Texas is vastly approaching that level. :)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,323
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 42

Texas is not very good, but a lot of that is because their QB is horrible. Look at the ISU game. If the ISU DB's could have held on to all his bad passes he would have thrown 5 INTs in one game. Colt McCoy was so good for so long that it they just did not develop a pool of backups. I would like to borrow a couple of their DL this weekend, and a few other defenders too.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I think the conference is down a little. Not one great team. Texas, Texas Tech & KU have the worst teams they've had in a long, long time. Possibly the worst teams they've had while in the Big 12. Baylor is the only team you could say that has a better team than they've ever had while in the conference.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    Texas is not very good, but a lot of that is because their QB is horrible. Look at the ISU game. If the ISU DB's could have held on to all his bad passes he would have thrown 5 INTs in one game. Colt McCoy was so good for so long that it they just did not develop a pool of backups. I would like to borrow a couple of their DL this weekend, and a few other defenders too.
    FWIW- We had 2 sacks and nine hurries in that game. It doesn't all fall on Gilbert.

"Not at the table Carlos."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    I personally think the Big 12 is down a little bit (as well as college football overall), but I think the perception of most people is being shaped by Texas being down.

Think about it. Nebraska is the best they've been in ten years. Despite Missouri's loss today, the Tigers are having one of their best seasons in school history. Oklahoma is about what they usually are. Oklahoma State is having another good season. Kansas State is better than they've been in recent years. Baylor is having a great year. Iowa State is the best they've been in five years, even if the record doesn't show it because the schedule is so tough. Texas A&M and Colorado are about the same as they've been recently.

So what's the biggest difference between this year and other years? Texas is down. I can't help but think the league would be seen in a better light if Texas had won the past two weeks.

Every year we hear about how great the SEC is and how they "beat up on each other" because Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, etc. are able to compete with and beat the big boys. When it's the Big 12, however, and Baylor, Iowa State, etc. are competing with the big boys, it means the conference sucks. It's a double standard.

Taking a closer look at the divisional level, we've heard all the time over the past several years about how terrible the Big 12 North is. How much discussion have you heard this year about how pitiful the SEC East is? There's a good chance the team that wins the East is going to have three conference losses. Heck, the third best team in the division lost to Colorado.

It's all about perception. If Indiana, Illinois, and Northwestern were all 11-1, but Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State were 7-5, the consensus would be that the Big Ten is down because the top teams are. The SEC is the only conference that doesn't ever have to worry about that because they have the most big name teams. If one or two of them are down, it doesn't affect the way people view the league.
    There is no doubt that Texas being down hurts the perception of the Big 12 and I really think that the Big 12 is as tough as normal. Nebraska is on the rise and Mizzou finally took it up a notch and beat OU.
    You make a great point about the SEC. The East is not good this year. For crying out loud, Richt was going to get fired until they started conference play and he started winning. The game last week was pretty much for the East and Georgia got beat by CU. On the flip side, the SEC West is really good. LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas,

In the end, I think I saw something that had the Big 12 #1 for SOS. It just tells you the Big 12 has played tough competition this year.

"Not at the table Carlos."

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 567
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 4

Also, wasn't like 4 or 5 of the Top 6 players in the NFL draft from the Big 12? When that happens it's takes awhile to replace guys like that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

You have to understand that, by the media's perspective, if Texas is down, the entire Big 12 is down - regardless of whether the entire conference actually is down or not. This conference has 3 BCS-caliber teams (Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Mizzou). That's not all that different than any other year IMO. But because Texas isn't one of those teams, the conference must be down.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Would you rather be the top scientist in your field or have Mad Cow Disease?

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 19

Disagree. I think the big 12 is UP this year. When analyzing the conference, you have to look at it as a whole, not just the top 2 teams. The big 12 is UP UP UP as a whole. They may be down in the top 2, but as a conference, they are defeinitely UP.