Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

Blake Griffin = Adrian Peterson of the NBA

He's played one game and there's no need to get carried away, but follow me on this one...

There's lots of similarities between the two, like the fact that they both went to OU, where they enjoyed a tremendous amount of success. They were high draft picks (AP #7, Blake #1) and both are flat out physical freaks.

Watching the Clips-Blazers game last night, I was reminded of why I'm a huge admirer of Blake's game and loved the effort and intensity he brought to each contest while at OU. I couldn't help but cringe though every time Blake fell to the floor. Coming off the knee injury last season, I know I felt as did many NBA pundits that it was only a matter of time before before Blake suffered a serious injury. Other than the obvious fact that he had fallen under the curse that plagues lottery picks that are forwards that play for the Clips, Blake's playing style isn't pretty. He gets after every loose ball. He dives into the stands. He attacks every rebound and lob with reckless abandon. He never takes a play off and has earned a reputation for physically asserting his dominance over his opponent. Sound familiar?

Let's go back to AP's rookie season in '07. Everyone was enamored with AP's running talent, but in every Vikes game you'd watch, one of the commentators would mention that AP's running style and physicality didn't lend itself to a long career. I remember every time AP went down that year and in '08, I wondered if that was the time he wouldn't get back up, was this the time he gets helped off the field. I'm not even a Vikes fan, so I can't imagine what purple nation felt, but the point is, I feel the exact same way when I watch Blake Griffin.

Both are amazing talents and I feel that provided he's healthy, Griffin will ascend to the top of the pecking order as far as power forwards go in The Association. I hope both have long, injury-free careers, but I just don't know if they're built for longevity.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 346

Re: Blake Griffin = Adrian Peterson of the NBA

Durant is still a bigger bball fantasy player than Griffin looks to become....but Blake is better than the Oden Factor...Oden is injury prone...

Last edited by Wesley; 10-28-2010 at 08:53 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 480
    Given: 936

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Durant is still a bigger bball fantasy player than Griffin looks to become....but Bl;ake is better than the Oden Factor...Oden is injury prone...
    Isn't Sam Bowie better than Oden? (sort of)

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 936
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    He's played one game and there's no need to get carried away, but follow me on this one...

There's lots of similarities between the two, like the fact that they both went to OU, where they enjoyed a tremendous amount of success. They were high draft picks (AP #7, Blake #1) and both are flat out physical freaks.

Watching the Clips-Blazers game last night, I was reminded of why I'm a huge admirer of Blake's game and loved the effort and intensity he brought to each contest while at OU. I couldn't help but cringe though every time Blake fell to the floor. Coming off the knee injury last season, I know I felt as did many NBA pundits that it was only a matter of time before before Blake suffered a serious injury. Other than the obvious fact that he had fallen under the curse that plagues lottery picks that are forwards that play for the Clips, Blake's playing style isn't pretty. He gets after every loose ball. He dives into the stands. He attacks every rebound and lob with reckless abandon. He never takes a play off and has earned a reputation for physically asserting his dominance over his opponent. Sound familiar?

Let's go back to AP's rookie season in '07. Everyone was enamored with AP's running talent, but in every Vikes game you'd watch, one of the commentators would mention that AP's running style and physicality didn't lend itself to a long career. I remember every time AP went down that year and in '08, I wondered if that was the time he wouldn't get back up, was this the time he gets helped off the field. I'm not even a Vikes fan, so I can't imagine what purple nation felt, but the point is, I feel the exact same way when I watch Blake Griffin.

Both are amazing talents and I feel that provided he's healthy, Griffin will ascend to the top of the pecking order as far as power forwards go in The Association. I hope both have long, injury-free careers, but I just don't know if they're built for longevity.
    That is a great comparison. Well said. I'm a big Blake Griffin fan, the dude puts it all out there. Clips, despite losing last night, will be a fun watch this season. They may slip into the playoffs. Eric Gordon is also one of my faves to watch. Rivals Ray Allen for the best looking J in the game.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Isn't Sam Bowie better than Oden? (sort of)
    Maybe, but we never got to see Bowie's dong on the internet.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Durant is still a bigger bball fantasy player than Griffin looks to become....but Blake is better than the Oden Factor...Oden is injury prone...
    I don't know that Durant will ever be considered a true #4. He's like Dirk in that he's a hybrid forward that can play inside and outside. As Durant continues to improve his post up game and his array of moves with his back to the basket, you're right in that KD will be the most unstoppable scorer in the league. I never expect KD to average 35 for a season though, because as Westbrook, Green and others improve, there will be less scoring pressure on KD.

Griffin kind of reminds me of young Shawn Kemp if I had to compare him to anyone. Kemp was downright scary his first couple years in the league and no rim or goofy 7-foot white center (here's looking at you Kevin Duckworth) were safe.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    That is a great comparison. Well said. I'm a big Blake Griffin fan, the dude puts it all out there. Clips, despite losing last night, will be a fun watch this season. They may slip into the playoffs. Eric Gordon is also one of my faves to watch. Rivals Ray Allen for the best looking J in the game.
    Agree about Gordon. He can flat out stroke it. Surprisingly, I think the biggest question on that team will be Baron Davis. Are they getting motivated and committed Baron, or "Ima get mine" Baron? Also, could there be a worse coach for that team than Vinny Nel Negro? His only positive is that he's not Mike Dunleavy. That's it.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,051
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 6

just curious does he fumble a lot?
    Did his father spent a lot of time in prison?
    Does he play with a primadonna that puts personal goals far
    ahead on team goals?
    When I think of "AD" those are the first things that come to mind.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    just curious does he fumble a lot?
    Did his father spent a lot of time in prison?
    Does he play with a primadonna that puts personal goals far
    ahead on team goals?
    When I think of "AD" those are the first things that come to mind.
    He struggles shooting free throws and doesn't have a very good 18 foot jumper yet?

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 1,176

Griffin was awesome to watch last night. That put-back left handed tomahawk was insane.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 216
    Given: 142

I don't know that Durant will ever be considered a true #4. He's like Dirk in that he's a hybrid forward that can play inside and outside. As Durant continues to improve his post up game and his array of moves with his back to the basket, you're right in that KD will be the most unstoppable scorer in the league. I never expect KD to average 35 for a season though, because as Westbrook, Green and others improve, there will be less scoring pressure on KD.

Griffin kind of reminds me of young Shawn Kemp if I had to compare him to anyone. Kemp was downright scary his first couple years in the league and no rim or goofy 7-foot white center (here's looking at you Kevin Duckworth) were safe.
    Kevin Duckworth was black but I get your point.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    Good catch. I meant Chris Dudley but for some odd reason typed Kevin Duckworth. I was watching YouTube vids of Kemp and in one of the montages, he puts back a rebound over Duckworth.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 40

Griffin is already better than Kemp. Griffin is a better rebounder and has a better all around offensive game already than Kemp ever did. If Griffin stays healthy, I will be shocked if he doesn't win Rookie of the Year.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Griffin is already better than Kemp. Griffin is a better rebounder and has a better all around offensive game already than Kemp ever did. If Griffin stays healthy, I will be shocked if he doesn't win Rookie of the Year.
    Completely agree. Griffin is more polished already than Kemp ever was. The comparison I was drawing was that they're both feared for their physicality and aggressive play.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    Haha, I thought the same thing when I read that. Even the unspectacular career of Kevin Duckworth is fair game on CF. Nothing is too obscure.