Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Bad News for Protestants

I just found out I'll be spending eternity in hell.

Pope: Other Christians not true churches - Yahoo! News

At first I thought, "Aw it's just one guys opinion", but it turns out the Pope is infallible. Bummer.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,118
    Given: 587

Re: Bad News for Protestants

D*mn it! Oh well, until he walks on water, cures the blind, turns water into wine, feeds the masses with one loaf of bread, I figure I'm probably ok.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,000
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 44

No where does it say Protestants are going to hell.

That being said, it seems pretty arrogant of the church to take this position. However, I'm not a catholic so it's really not my place to tell the church what to do.

This has always been the position of the catholic church I believe.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

I'd sure love to know what copy of the Bible the pope is reading. Not one of my nor my wife's versions say anything about the attendance of a Catholic church being the key to salvation. All of ours talk about the belief of the death and resurrection of ****** and the personal acceptance of Him as your Savior. So why isn't he teaching this?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

Hoo boy.

Showing this to my girlfriend (who is Catholic) almost convinced her to convert to lutheranism, but I had to talk her out of it, saying it's just the Pope's opinion, and not necessarily a core Catholic belief. Oh well, I don't believe that I'm condemned to hell just because some guy in the Vatican says so.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 1

I think the Pope's funny hat is on a bit too tight.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    Hoo boy.

Showing this to my girlfriend (who is Catholic) almost convinced her to convert to lutheranism, but I had to talk her out of it, saying it's just the Pope's opinion, and not necessarily a core Catholic belief. Oh well, I don't believe that I'm condemned to hell just because some guy in the Vatican says so.
    AirWalke, the Pope's opinion (on whatever subject he happens to opine) is core Catholic belief. As for his recent statements, he is simply reiterating what has been the official position of the Catholic Church regarding Protestant churches for centuries now.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BvK1126 View Post
    AirWalke, the Pope's opinion (on whatever subject he happens to opine) is core Catholic belief. As for his recent statements, he is simply reiterating what has been the official position of the Catholic Church regarding Protestant churches for centuries now.
    That's certainly strange, I was under the impression that there was an effort to reunite, or at least mend the wounds between Catholics and Protestants. I know that within the Lutheran church, there's an effort to reintroduce Catholic traditions for use during services in order to close the gap between the two.

Why can't there just be peace in Christianity. It's hypocritical to lead your life as Jesus would, only to talk down to those lowly Protestants and say that God doesn't acknowledge them...

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    That's certainly strange, I was under the impression that there was an effort to reunite, or at least mend the wounds between Catholics and Protestants. I know that within the Lutheran church, there's an effort to reintroduce Catholic traditions for use during services in order to close the gap between the two.

Why can't there just be peace in Christianity. It's hypocritical to lead your life as Jesus would, only to talk down to those lowly Protestants and say that God doesn't acknowledge them...
    There are a number of ongoing ecumenical dialogs between Catholics and Protestants (especially Catholics and some of the Lutheran denominations), but these really just serve as good PR more than anything. There are some fundamental theological differences between Catholics and Protestants (including Lutherans) that no amount of similarity in liturgies or other sacramental traditions is going to bridge anytime soon. Without getting too esoteric, I think that is the result of mankind's sinfulness, not God's plan. I believe God recognizes one universal (and invisible) church that includes all true followers of Jesus ******, regardless of denomination.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

Well, there is that one line in the Nicene Creed that goes "We believe in one holy, catholic, and apostolic church.."
    So it is sort of a core Catholic belief that the Catholic Church is the Church, however, I've always known a mission of the Catholic Church to be reuniting all Christians... especially considering all (I think) other Christian denominations originated from the Catholic Church. Being Christian in general is great, but the Catholic Church believes that all of the beliefs that go along with the Church make up the true path.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post
    I've always known a mission of the Catholic Church to be reuniting all Christians... especially considering all (I think) other Christian denominations originated from the Catholic Church. Being Christian in general is great, but the Catholic Church believes that all of the beliefs that go along with the Church make up the true path.
    Sometime you gotta point out a Catholic church that's interested in uniting all denominations. That's a new one by me... Seems like every time I've witnessed a conversation along these lines, the Catholics typically claim that they are the one and only correct way and everyone else is stupid for thinking otherwise. Maybe I've had the misfortune of seeing only bad apples, but I've never experienced anything like what you're suggesting.

The idea that Catholics think all denominations came from them is a new one on me, too. From a certain standpoint, I suppose it's true, but only in the sense that America "originated" from the United Kingdom and the Ukraine "originated" from the USSR. However, I don't agree with the Vatican's stance on the issue- my beliefs are that the physical practices of Catholicism are wholly unnecessary for my salvation. I don't need to say thirty-seven Hail Marys in order to have my sins forgiven. If Catholics want to, fantastic- that's part of your faith. But it's not part of mine for a reason- we don't think it's needed.

Last edited by ornryactor; 07-11-2007 at 07:23 PM.
    True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Well, there is that one line in the Nicene Creed that goes "We believe in one holy, catholic, and apostolic church.."
    depends on the use of the word catholic.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
    cath·o·lic /ˈkæθəlɪk, ˈkæθlɪk/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kath-uh-lik, kath-lik]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation–adjective 1.broad or wide-ranging in tastes, interests, or the like; having sympathies with all; broad-minded; liberal. 2.universal in extent; involving all; of interest to all. 3.pertaining to the whole Christian body or church.

Rookie
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

What it still comes down to is God will judge you by what you do with your life. I know some Catholics that would go to hell before most protestants/Jews/Muslims/etc. would.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

So it is sort of a core Catholic belief that the Catholic Church is the Church,
    In the Nicene Creed it's "catholic" with a lower-case c. It's not refering to the Catholic Church. It just means a belief in one universal church.

Edit: Looks like johnsonjj beat me to it.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonjj View Post
    depends on the use of the word catholic.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
    cath·o·lic /ˈkæθəlɪk, ˈkæθlɪk/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kath-uh-lik, kath-lik]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation–adjective 1.broad or wide-ranging in tastes, interests, or the like; having sympathies with all; broad-minded; liberal. 2.universal in extent; involving all; of interest to all. 3.pertaining to the whole Christian body or church.
    You're exactly right. Doesn't the Catholic Church as we know it refer to itself, or was formerly the Roman Catholic Church? In that sense, they created that name to reinforce that they were a representation of all the churches in the Roman empire. Somewhere along the line, that distinction was lost when suddenly there was a new kind of church ran by Protestants that threatened their way of doing things.

So when the Nicene Creed refers to a catholic church, it refers to all churches, and not the one run in Vatican City.

Go Sssssssssyclones!