Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 1

Favorite campustown/party spot?

With all due respect to Cybsball20, who suggested this topic in the Gibbs forum, what's your favorite college campus and why? Hottest women, best nightlife, great atmosphere?

I put my vote in for Austin. Amazing restaurants, hot, friendly women, and SXSW every year. More bands per capita than anywhere else in the nation. And cheap Shiner Bock on tap everywhere? What more can you ask for? That place always delivers.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 39

Re: Favorite campustown/party spot?

Quote Originally Posted by sdillon500 View Post
    With all due respect to Cybsball20, who suggested this topic in the Gibbs forum, what's your favorite college campus and why? Hottest women, best nightlife, great atmosphere?

I put my vote in for Austin. Amazing restaurants, hot, friendly women, and SXSW every year. More bands per capita than anywhere else in the nation. And cheap Shiner Bock on tap everywhere? What more can you ask for? That place always delivers.
    I agree 100%, I did not even mention the shiner... Maybe it is just a thing I have for southern brunettes, but Austin was great. Probably some of the best all around food I have ever eaten was in Austin.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 429

I've heard some great drinking stories from Austin - I'll have to jump over there sometime just to check it out.
    Cheap Shiner Bock = I'm all for it!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 0

I also really like Austin. I've had a great time there everytime I've gone. I really like how they have a ton of little walk up places you can buy pizza and other drunk food down on 6th street. It's the little things for me.

Note: I saw a huge bouncer absolutely deck some dude in a bar last time I was there. Hilarious stuff.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

OK, this is gonna kill me since some of these towns are bitter rivals, but I am trying to be as unbiased as possible in these 'rankings'. I add the quotes since i have only been to a couple dozen college towns so they can't be true rankings... I am also automatically throwing out big cities that have a college such as Miami, Chicago, LA, etc...

1. Tallahassee, FL - Kills me as a Gator fan but this town is a blast, nothing beats the girls at Potbellies. The girls here outnumber the guys (education, liberal arts) and the quality rivals the quantity.

2. Austin, TX - 6th St, live music, hot women with accents, great food... Too bad for curfews on the road... I was supposed to go down for the game last fall but couldn't... I will be back though...

3. Iowa City - I know we have all gone to party in the ped mall on a random weekend that nothing was going on in Ames... It may not have the homey feel of Ames but face it, its a blast... Add to that the great M/F ratio and the fact that the girls tend to dress a little more....risque than they do in Ames and it makes for good times...

4. Starkville, MS - My view of this town may be skewed by the fact that my trip was a recruiting trip but this place is a blast and their fans are nuts... Very nice considering it's in Mississippi too...

5. Gainesville, Fl - Some of the best collection of college bars in one area... After class Friday you have live acoustic music on the lawn of the Swamp where you can enjoy a bucket of Miller Lite for $5 and might run into Ric Flair... Head to the Grog House for some Karaoke and leave your dollar on the wall, then head east to the 'club' section of town.... Loses points for the M/F ratio, number of 'snobby east coast' types, and the fact that I grew up here and would run into people I didnt want to...

6. Athens, GA - Another hated rival but fun town... Probably one of the most 'down to earth' towns of the SEC powers... Very friendly people and again, those darn accents!

7. Knoxville, TN - See Athens and add one of the craziest football atmospheres you can imagine...

8. Ames, IA - Not too big, not too small... Great tailgating (now if we could only get those people into the stadium). I think one of the greatest compliments can be the number of guys that came from the west coast to play baseball and absolutely loved Ames... They looked at bigger schools, bigger cities, but chose Ames and loved it...

Ok, I went with top 8 because all the others kinda get jumbled up and rank pretty similarly... Honorable Mention does go to Stillwater, OK for having one of the best college bars in the nation in Eskimo Joes.

Bottom 3

3. Stinkin Lincoln
    2. Waco, TX
    1. Wichita, KS

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

After class Friday you have live acoustic music on the lawn of the Swamp where you can enjoy a bucket of Miller Lite for $5 and might run into Ric Flair

Woooo!!!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    OK, this is gonna kill me since some of these towns are bitter rivals, but I am trying to be as unbiased as possible in these 'rankings'. I add the quotes since i have only been to a couple dozen college towns so they can't be true rankings... I am also automatically throwing out big cities that have a college such as Miami, Chicago, LA, etc...

1. Tallahassee, FL - Kills me as a Gator fan but this town is a blast, nothing beats the girls at Potbellies. The girls here outnumber the guys (education, liberal arts) and the quality rivals the quantity.

2. Austin, TX - 6th St, live music, hot women with accents, great food... Too bad for curfews on the road... I was supposed to go down for the game last fall but couldn't... I will be back though...

3. Iowa City - I know we have all gone to party in the ped mall on a random weekend that nothing was going on in Ames... It may not have the homey feel of Ames but face it, its a blast... Add to that the great M/F ratio and the fact that the girls tend to dress a little more....risque than they do in Ames and it makes for good times...

4. Starkville, MS - My view of this town may be skewed by the fact that my trip was a recruiting trip but this place is a blast and their fans are nuts... Very nice considering it's in Mississippi too...

5. Gainesville, Fl - Some of the best collection of college bars in one area... After class Friday you have live acoustic music on the lawn of the Swamp where you can enjoy a bucket of Miller Lite for $5 and might run into Ric Flair... Head to the Grog House for some Karaoke and leave your dollar on the wall, then head east to the 'club' section of town.... Loses points for the M/F ratio, number of 'snobby east coast' types, and the fact that I grew up here and would run into people I didnt want to...

6. Athens, GA - Another hated rival but fun town... Probably one of the most 'down to earth' towns of the SEC powers... Very friendly people and again, those darn accents!

7. Knoxville, TN - See Athens and add one of the craziest football atmospheres you can imagine...

8. Ames, IA - Not too big, not too small... Great tailgating (now if we could only get those people into the stadium). I think one of the greatest compliments can be the number of guys that came from the west coast to play baseball and absolutely loved Ames... They looked at bigger schools, bigger cities, but chose Ames and loved it...

Ok, I went with top 8 because all the others kinda get jumbled up and rank pretty similarly... Honorable Mention does go to Stillwater, OK for having one of the best college bars in the nation in Eskimo Joes.

Bottom 3

3. Stinkin Lincoln
    2. Waco, TX
    1. Wichita, KS
    Nice List. Been to all of them except Wichita, KS. I disagree with the listing of "StarkVegas" in the top 10. Also, where is Baton Rouge?

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Madison.

The Union in Madison, last time I was there, had more than 20 non American beers on tap. It was a freakin' smorgasbord for guys who enjoy good beer. Then, you can sit outside on the patio and watch the scenery. Or sit close to the lake and watch sailboaters and parasailers.

State Street is OK. But I'm too old for that.

Off topic, but Madison on Saturday morning also has a farmers market that has vendors set up all the way around the state capitol building.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Tork's Pub on West St. ... Ames, Iowa

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

In this order, my favorites:

Madison, WI
    Gainesville, FL
    Austin, TX
    Iowa City, IA
    Edit: Fort Collins and Boulder are fun as well out here in CO...

Last edited by CyinCo; 07-15-2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: additions
    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    In this order, my favorites:

Madison, WI
    Gainesville, FL
    Austin, TX
    Iowa City, IA
    Edit: Fort Collins and Boulder are fun as well out here in CO...

... Madison ,Wisconsin Halloween Party... best time I've ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever, had... EVER !!!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    Madison.

The Union in Madison, last time I was there, had more than 20 non American beers on tap. It was a freakin' smorgasbord for guys who enjoy good beer. Then, you can sit outside on the patio and watch the scenery. Or sit close to the lake and watch sailboaters and parasailers.

State Street is OK. But I'm too old for that.

Off topic, but Madison on Saturday morning also has a farmers market that has vendors set up all the way around the state capitol building.
    The only problem with Madison is that it is winter damn near the entire fall and spring semesters. Only summer school students around if you are seeing action on the lake in Madison (ice fishing excepted).

I hate to admit this, but having moved around the country and been to a lot of campuses during football and basketball seasons (when the co-eds are out in force), the women in the south are superior to the women in the midwest, mid-atlantic, and northeast. I have no experience on the left coast or in the desert southwest.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 9

Madison is one of the best college towns out there. I'd also put in a vote for Chapel Hill, NC.....lots of great bars, bands, and a great sports scene.