Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 20,983, Level: 44
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    832
    Points
    20,983
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    I put potential in all caps because it is by no means a forgone conclusion that we're going to win six games this year. We still need to take care of business against Kansas this week and win one of our last three games, probably at Colorado which is never an easy place to play.

    However, after taking a look at teams in the Big 12 and who they have left to play, there are a few things we should root for. Obviously this is under the condition that we win six games.

    1. Root against Colorado, at least until they have seven losses. They should get killed at Oklahoma this week for their fifth loss, but it would also be good for us if they inexplicably lose at Kansas the next week. Don't discount the possibility, because CU has been terrible on the road under Hawkins. We want them to have as little confidence as possible when they play us.

    2. Root against Texas A&M the rest of the year. They are currently 4-3 with a remaining schedule of Texas Tech, Oklahoma, at Baylor, Nebraska, and at Texas. They pretty much have to beat two out of Texas Tech, Baylor, and Texas to get to 6-6. We don't want that. If they're not bowl eligible, it brings the number of probable bowl eligible teams to nine, again, under the condition ISU gets to six wins.

    Another reason this would be good is that there's a decent chance Sherman would get fired. If that happened, they would be in a coaching transition year next season when they come to Ames for homecoming.

    3. Root for Oklahoma and the Missouri/Nebraska winner to win out (except when they play us, of course). We want two Big 12 teams in the BCS. Two BCS teams would allow nine Big 12 bowl eligible teams to go to bowls with Big 12 tie-ins.

    We don't want to be in the at-large pool. Yes, there are more bowls than there have ever been, but if East Central Texas State University for the Vertically Challenged wins seven games, no matter what conference they're from or how many fans they have, they have to be picked before a 6-6 team by NCAA rule. Also, many bowls now have secondary agreements if they're primary conference affiliate doesn't produce enough bowl teams. We don't want to be sweating it out because of a bunch of seven-win MAC teams.

    I actually think there's a really good chance the Big 12 gets two teams in the BCS, especially if Ohio State wins the Big Ten. There are four at-large selections in the BCS. You know the SEC will get one of them, Boise State and the TCU/Utah winner will probably get two of them, and the fourth one will go to a team from the Big 12, Big Ten, or possibly the Pac-10 but that's kind of doubtful because of East Coast bias. If it's between Oklahoma/Nebraska/Missouri and Michigan State/Wisconsin/Iowa for that last spot, I like our chances.

    Ohio State probably isn't going to the national championship game, but even if they do, we probably don't have to worry about the Rose Bowl picking a Big Ten team as a replacement. The Rose Bowl is obligated to take the top ranked non-BCS team as a replacement. This is good because if Ohio State is in the NC game, Boise State is probably in the Rose Bowl instead of a Big Ten team. The only concern would be if Ohio State and Oregon were in the NC game, in which case the Rose Bowl might be Boise vs. another Big Ten team. Even then, they might throw Nebraska a bone as a "welcome to the Big Ten" present and take them over a Big Ten team.

    It's a lot to digest, I know, but the most important thing is for us to win six games. I believe that this team can do it.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 864,026, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,812
    Points
    864,026
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,771
    Given: 1,488

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    I like your breakdown. For my ease of mind, I'll just root for us.
    Really, I think it all comes together for us if we just take care of our business.

    And the thought of Boise State in the Rose Bowl is really kind of mind-blowing. Fun picture.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 100,645, Level: 98
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    Posts
    5,387
    Points
    100,645
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 4

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    Root for Mizzou this weekend. Nebraska is a slightly better match up for ISU with them being a little more one dimensional. Plus NU is a Big 10 team now.

    Hard to believe Boise State in the Rose Bowl.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 66,667, Level: 80
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,383
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,234
    Points
    66,667
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 49

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    Wisconsin has a cake of a schedule the rest of the way = auto qualifier for BCS. Michigan State beats Iowa and most likely they run the table and may qualify for the BCS, plus Ohio State will probably run the table too. The big 10 will have 2 BCS teams. And if Iowa beats Mich St and Ohio St - they look like a real attractive 2 loss team.

    Most likely Boise and TCU/Utah winner will be auto qualifiers too, which means the Big 12 will get 1 team (and that is really all they deserve).



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 147,675, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Southeast
    Posts
    7,630
    Points
    147,675
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 592
    Given: 171

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by CyForPresident View Post
    Root for Mizzou this weekend. Nebraska is a slightly better match up for ISU with them being a little more one dimensional. Plus NU is a Big 10 team now.
    No, root for Nebraska! Take a look at the North: Colorado and Kansas are out of it, Kansas State has a very tough road down the stretch and is likely out of it.

    Iowa State has 2 conference losses. Nebraska has 1, and Mizzou has 0. If Nebraska beats Mizzou, they both will have 1 conference loss, and both will have games left against the Cyclones.

    This means ISU will control its own destiny for a trip to Dallas and likely rematch against the Sooners...

    Think big!



  6. #6
    Walk On
    Points: 4,876, Level: 20
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    CYCL0NE1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    183
    Points
    4,876
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    4. Root against Texas Tech. Like A&M, they have a very difficult schedule and may strugle to get to 6 wins. We certainly can't have them get to 7 wins and go to a better bowl, despite ISU being a better team.


    ...And the home of the CHIEFS!!!

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 181,166, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,955
    Points
    181,166
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 121

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Wisconsin has a cake of a schedule the rest of the way = auto qualifier for BCS. Michigan State beats Iowa and most likely they run the table and may qualify for the BCS, plus Ohio State will probably run the table too. The big 10 will have 2 BCS teams. And if Iowa beats Mich St and Ohio St - they look like a real attractive 2 loss team.

    Most likely Boise and TCU/Utah winner will be auto qualifiers too, which means the Big 12 will get 1 team (and that is really all they deserve).
    I disagree, Oklahoma and Missou both deserve a BCS game from what I've seen so far. There are a lot of games left though.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    Yes, because 6 win teams never leap frog teams with higher records.

    -Signed the Insight Bowl Commitee 2009




    EDIT: Though that is probably somewhat contingent on the higher seeded teams still being able to get a bowl


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 100,645, Level: 98
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    Posts
    5,387
    Points
    100,645
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 4

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    No, root for Nebraska! Take a look at the North: Colorado and Kansas are out of it, Kansas State has a very tough road down the stretch and is likely out of it.

    Iowa State has 2 conference losses. Nebraska has 1, and Mizzou has 0. If Nebraska beats Mizzou, they both will have 1 conference loss, and both will have games left against the Cyclones.

    This means ISU will control its own destiny for a trip to Dallas and likely rematch against the Sooners...

    Think big!
    ISU is not winning the North.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 121,363, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RING4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    6,677
    Points
    121,363
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 144

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by CyForPresident View Post
    ISU is not winning the North.
    Right, the Cyclones will not win the North.

    The KState loss is really unfortunate. Beat the Wildcats, and all ISU would of had to do to win the North was win out. We really would have been in control of our own destiny.




  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 147,675, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Southeast
    Posts
    7,630
    Points
    147,675
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 592
    Given: 171

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by RING4CY View Post
    Right, the Cyclones will not win the North.

    The KState loss is really unfortunate. Beat the Wildcats, and all ISU would of had to do to win the North was win out. We really would have been in control of our own destiny.
    Is that really what you're hung up on... the fact that we're not in control of our own destiny?

    This is the help ISU needs:

    1) Kansas State needs to lose one more conference game. They still got Oklahoma State, Texas, @Mizzou, and @Colorado. D'you think they're gonna win out?

    2) Mizzou needs to lose a conference game. This is a trickier proposition, because the chances for this are @Nebraska, @Texas Tech, Kansas State, and Kansas. Easily the best shot for this to happen is in Lincoln on Saturday. So, let's imagine for the sake of this argument that the Cornhuskers win that game.

    What more help does ISU need to win the North? Nothing. If ISU wins out in this scenario... Nebraska, Missouri, and Iowa State all end with 6-2 conference records. Iowa State wins the tiebreaker in this situation. Mizzou is the first team eliminated from the three-way tie because of their 3-2 record against North division opponents (compared to ISU and Nebby's 4-1 records), and then it reverts to the good old head-to-head, which the Cyclones have over the Huskers in this hypothetical.

    ISU-OU rematch. Or, ISU-Baylor. Whatever floats your boat.

    (I'm not suggesting this will happen... I'm just saying Iowa State and Nebraska victories this Saturday will make the possibilities pretty cool to think about! Imagine a November 20th game at JTS where a win means our first ever North division title....)


    Last edited by CyFan61; 10-28-2010 at 12:58 AM.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 51,120, Level: 69
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Drive4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    972
    Posts
    5,541
    Points
    51,120
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    Iowa State v Baylor in Jerry World for a chance to play in a BCS bowl would seriously be the greatest thing ever.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 121,363, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RING4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    6,677
    Points
    121,363
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 144

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    Iowa State v Baylor in Jerry World for a chance to play in a BCS bowl would seriously be the greatest thing ever.
    That wouldn't be the Big 12 Championship Game. That would be the Poetic Justice Championship Game.




  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 31,239, Level: 54
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    KneeGusto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Squaw Creek
    Posts
    768
    Points
    31,239
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    I absolutely LOVE all this talk. YOU ALL ARE WINNERS discussing all these scenarios because Iowa State is still "in it" on October 28th with the worst friggin schedule in the country and two miserable losses, one amazing win, and one unbelievable win all in the last month.

    Pessimists, Optimists, and everybody in between better show up on game day because we simply don't know what will happen.

    I just want to be there to see it.


    --------
    Pereant osores!
    --------

  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 31,239, Level: 54
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    KneeGusto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Squaw Creek
    Posts
    768
    Points
    31,239
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

    Re: Some thoughts on POTENTIAL bowl eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    Iowa State v Baylor in Jerry World for a chance to play in a BCS bowl would seriously be the greatest thing ever.
    I just want to see Dan Beebe's head explode.


    --------
    Pereant osores!
    --------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM