Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 4

Back from Austin, random thoughts

I will never forget this day. Great trip. This post is long, but who cares, the Clones beat the Longhorns and I was there to see it!!!! Had planned to go to this game for many years with a friend of mine who is a big Longhorn fan and it was simply a great day. Our Cyclones finally slayed the dragon. I realize it is only one win and time will tell, but for me this seems like a game changer.

1.) I just can't believe that is the same team that played Utah and OU. Truly a team effort, there were so many great plays made by so many different players all through the game. So hard to single anyone out.

2.) Defense was just outstanding, it seemed like there were 3 or 4 guys in on every tackle, they were swarming everywhere. LJ and Benton I thought were especially good, and the whole secondary were great from start to finish.

3.) Texas people couldn't believe how good our O line was, and I told them I couldn't believe it either. But they were dominate all day. Hayworth Hicks I thought played very well, but again, they all played very well.

4.) The stadium was not packed, it is not only ISU that is having trouble putting butts in the seats. Crowd was just very flat as well, never felt like it was that loud. And people were ****** about the Texas team. I did think their gameplan just sucked overall especially on offense but our guys just outplayed them pretty much everywhere. I can see why they all want Greg Davis fired.

5.) Texas fans were the best I have ever seen, and it isn't even close although I have never been to College Station. I stood up at the beginning of the game (I was in the middle of all Texas fans) and gave a big old Cylone Warning as loud as I could and no one even told me to "**** off." I was thinking about Austin versus Iowa City. Dramatic to say the least. I wore Cardinal all weekend and was out all night both night and not one single negative word was said to me. Zero. People went out of their way to welcome me and to say congratulations. Even has some random cars roll down their window to say congrats on the win.

6.) Austin is a great town. The women are as amazing, as advertised. The walk up to the stadium is really impressive and I was just thinking if you were a recruit walking up to that stadium how that would feel, pretty easy sell. I can see why they get whoever they want.

7.) The result should have been worse than it was and the final score was misleading actually, and several Texas fans said the same thing. ISU really controlled the game from start to finish.

8.) The fourth quarter was the longest I have ever seen, the clock was not moving at all and it was driving me crazy. We really made it hard on ourselves by not converting the 2 and 1 and then on the next possession the 3rd and 1.

9) I couldn't believe AA's stats, I thought they would be much better. Watching the game in person it seemed like he was playing the game of his life, then afterward the stats were nothing awesome. Thought he played very well and am very happy for him and all the seniors to be able to take this win with him. Those guys have been through a lot.

10) You could tell Herman really had Texas confused and guessing a lot, he called a great game. And Wally, well.....guy is just a fantastic coordinator, would love to see our D after 3 or 4 more years of recruiting.

Anyway, if you ever get the chance to go to a game there I would do it. Great town and the best fans I have come across. Huge win for the program and really proud of our guys. Go Clones!

Last edited by mj4cy; 10-25-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Back from Austin, random thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    I will never forget this day. Great trip. This post is long, but who cares, the Clones beat the Longhorns and I was there to see it!!!!
    <----Jealous

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 2

I haven't been to Austin but A&M sounds about the same. Fans were great and very courteous after the loss. Kyle Field is my favorite stadium that I have ever seen.

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 668
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I thought the UT fan support was kind of sad. The stadium was pretty empty (50%) in the 4th quarter. But they were courteous fans.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    4.) The stadium was not packed, it is not only ISU that is having trouble putting butts in the seats. Crowd was just very flat as well, never felt like it was that loud. And people were P***ED about the Texas team. I did think their gameplan just sucked overall especially on offense but our guys just outplayed them pretty much everywhere. I can see why they all want Greg Davis fired.

5.) Texas fans were the best I have ever seen, and it isn't even close although I have never been to College Station. I stood up at the beginning of the game (I was in the middle of all Texas fans) and gave a big old Cylone Warning as loud as I could and no one even told me to "f**k off." I was thinking about Austin versus Iowa City. Dramatic to say the least. I wore Cardinal all weekend and was out all night both night and not one single negative word was said to me. Zero. People went out of their way to welcome me and to say congratulations. Even has some random cars roll down their window to say congrats on the win.
    Man I'm disappointed you guys aren't coming here for a game next year... Clones seem like great fans and I would love to show you guys some Ute hospitality...

Oh well, maybe we can schedule a home & home after you we finish our stadium expansion...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110

If we beat Texas again next year, I bet you'll see their fans start to slowly look like Iowa fans. It's easy to be courteous to fans of a team that constantly gets killed by your team, but when that stops happening, those "Congrats" slowly start to become "**** you"s.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    If we beat Texas again next year, I bet you'll see their fans start to slowly look like Iowa fans. It's easy to be courteous to fans of a team that constantly gets killed by your team, but when that stops happening, those "Congrats" slowly start to become "**** you"s.
    The problem is that ISU has never beaten Iowa, just ask their fans. It isn't the score board that matters, just if your team comes out ready to play or not.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

I got my parents tickets for this game and my wife and I thought really hard about going. Really bummed I didn't make this one. And I agree, Austin and the surrounding area is just awesome and if I ever moved anywhere else in the country Austin would probably be it for me.

Rookie
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree on how good the Texas fans were. My wife and I were sitting in the midst of long-term Texas season ticket holders across the fiel from the Cyclone seats at about the 20 yard line - lowest level.

We had absolutley no problems with the fans even though I was standing and screaming most of the game (and I'm still hoarse today). After the game we walked out in the mass of burnt orange and had Texas fans all along the street stop to shake hands and congratulate us on the game. I think we had that happen nearly 15 times on our 15 minute walk to the car.

This was my best experience with Texas fans from the three times I've been to games there. I've been to every single game that Iowa State has ever played at College Station and have always found the Texas A&M fans to be incredibly good as well. Even in 2006 when we hung that 37-14 whipping on them!

Last edited by bgprest; 10-25-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    This except it takes more than just a couple wins. Beat them five times in a row and the real hawk fan will come out.

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 14

We got back from our 2000 mile journey as well last night. Everywhere we went: bars, restaurants, gas stations, etc. the UT fans were very, very humble, complimentary, and willing to wish us further success.
    It's quite shocking to travel 10 times further than Iowa City and leave with nothing bad to say at all. No one yelling you suck, go back to Ames, or getting something thrown at you.
    Complete class from Texas, and I hope we repay it back to them, when they have games in Ames.

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,259
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 17

I had the same experience as well, although I'm still here to enjoy it. Heard lots of congratulations and thanks for coming here and supporting your team. I was on my feet clapping and yelling for a good chunk of the game and never heard any disparaging words about sitting down and shutting up.

And yes, that place was empty. A lot of people didn't get to their seats until the second quarter, and most of them left as soon as we went up 21-6 in the third. Almost everyone else in my section left when it was 28-6.

That was probably the best part of the day for me: seeing the sad faces on the mighty Longhorns faces, and watching them leave their own stadium early.

Pro
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Finally arrived back at home at 3AM this morning. Plane was delayed in Dallas and finally got into Omaha after Midnight last night and then drove back to Des Moines.

Agree with what everyone said. Texas fans were great and gracious. Our Iowa State fans In section 32 were a riot and got loud and crazy. Probably the most fun I have ever had a sporting event.

Prospect
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

What you witnessed is a complete anomaly for Texas fans. I have lived in Austin for over 12 years. Been to every ISU FB and BB game down here. Have been repeatedly cursed at, told to get my #$%& *** back to Iowa, etc - all without saying a word. I have been to plenty of other Horns games where they treat the visiting fans like trash no matter how big the win margin. Horns fans are the most ruthless of any Big 12 stadium I have been to.

Yet Sat. was quite a surprise. We did have a bottle thrown down from top tier onto S32 R16 behind us, but only 2 fans made a point of walking out talking down ISU loudly behind my back (but not at me this time). I really think the UCLA loss both a) kept the T-shirt bandwagon idiots at home, and b) gave the serious Horn fans some needed humility.

Best hosting town: College Station. Both after the big win and last year's big loss, Aggie fans are just amazed anyone outside Texas can find their town. We had more A&M folk buy us beer just to talk about Big 12 sports than I could count! Baylor is a close 2nd (the few that come out postgame). I'd rate Manhattan next, blah, blah ...

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 27

Unlike the fans you guys ran into, Mack Brown didn't seems to be too complimentary in his press conference after the game. Was into the blame game big time. ISU wiped that Texas grin right off his face.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.