Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,617, Level: 26
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    AmesCloneFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    345
    Points
    7,617
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

    Win at Texas could be program changing...

    ... from a recruiting standpoint. It has been said several times that a big draw for potential recruits in Texas is that we play Texas schools and that if a player comes to play for ISU then that player's family will have multiple opportunities over his career at ISU to watch him play locally. From here on out, that draw changes from simply having the chance to watch a game (but probably a loss) to watching that family member legitimately compete and have a good chance to win against the likes of UT, Tech, A&M, etc.

    Yes, there's a little bit of Kool-aide talking here, but there's no arguing that CPR will give these guys a good chance to win against any Big 12 opponent, and that will make a world of difference on the recruiting trail.


    SOUTH CY'DERS!!!!!

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 28,175, Level: 51
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    1,844
    Points
    28,175
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    Huh, I guess I never thought of it this way. I'm glad you shared this perspective. Great insight.


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

  3. #3
    Prospect RavenousUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    I don't see what the hoopla is about..

    I predicted you guys would steal one of your next two road games two weeks ago...



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 58,649, Level: 75
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CloneState1028's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    3,273
    Points
    58,649
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    This win won't impact this year's recruiting class as much as it will next year's.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 36,444, Level: 58
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    helechopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,873
    Points
    36,444
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 58

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneState1028 View Post
    This win won't impact this year's recruiting class as much as it will next year's.
    Correct. Even if we don't go bowling this season (I think we will), we'll have something to hang our hat on. Something that definitively says our football program is headed in the right direction.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 119,458, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jsmith86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    6,193
    Points
    119,458
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    Also, next year we play them at home. And now we know it can be done.


    ____________________________________

    You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 93,855, Level: 95
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,644
    Points
    93,855
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 38

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    I doubt many recruits look too closely at one game. We are starting to see a trend though, that we can upset good teams on the road (NU last year included), which is a positive.

    I do think that a win like this can spur someone who is sitting on the fence, or leaning towards committing anyway.

    Another trend that yesterday's win can help is bowl games. If we can go 2 for 2 in CPR's first two seasons, I think that is a very good trend to help with recruiting.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 355,820, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,897
    Points
    355,820
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 39

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    anyone who thinks that win doesn't matter, is out of touch with high school kids. Kids in Texas and out of Texas saw that. Perhaps there were even guys at the game who ISU may be interested in. That win matters much more than any other win we could have and it matters more than Nebraska of last year. Sure, the score was close but we, IMO looked liked Texas and they looked like your daddy's ISU. There was constant pressure. Our DBs made plays they should and our WRs made the plays we needed to beat a team like Texas. Many have given Arnaud a bunch of grief. He's not the best QB to ever play the game but he has thrown numerous balls like he did to Lenz yesterday that a play wasn't made on. I will confess I only watched about the first third of the game. I was at another homecoming with friends, but I saw the throw he made to ARob early. A little 10 yard lob over a defender but just low enough he could grab it. On a scale of 1-10, that pass is a nine on the difficulty scale. It's so short with so little speed on it, it's just a tough throw when you are trying to play in game speed. I won't say he was the reason we won. He wasn't. We won for the same reasons every other team wins. We won, possibly even dominated the line on both sides of the ball. Lattimer looked to be a huge handful on the outside. His speed and the way he used his hands were very impressive. It's not like he was going up against a former 2 star tackle from NIU either. He was going up against a guy that had a little talent. If he continues to do what he has did there, he gives us a lot better shot at winning games.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 355,820, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,897
    Points
    355,820
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 39

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    I doubt many recruits look too closely at one game. We are starting to see a trend though, that we can upset good teams on the road (NU last year included), which is a positive.

    I do think that a win like this can spur someone who is sitting on the fence, or leaning towards committing anyway.

    Another trend that yesterday's win can help is bowl games. If we can go 2 for 2 in CPR's first two seasons, I think that is a very good trend to help with recruiting.
    I don't think it's like kids are looking to see who won the Texas ISU game. I think it more like this: They sit down in the afternoon to watch football. On the halftime show they see what happened. All of a sudden they go from not know who the Cyclones even are to having that little memory. If you are a high school football player in Texas, you remember who beats Texas, especially if it's someone like ISU. I think sometimes people underestimate how important football in Texas is. It's not like Iowa. Some of those kids are perhaps kids we will offer or contact this spring. They may be sophomores or juniors right now. I don't think its about swaying a kid to us. It's about those kids having something to identify ISU with.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 119,458, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jsmith86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    6,193
    Points
    119,458
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I don't think it's like kids are looking to see who won the Texas ISU game. I think it more like this: They sit down in the afternoon to watch football. On the halftime show they see what happened. All of a sudden they go from not know who the Cyclones even are to having that little memory. If you are a high school football player in Texas, you remember who beats Texas, especially if it's someone like ISU. I think sometimes people underestimate how important football in Texas is. It's not like Iowa. Some of those kids are perhaps kids we will offer or contact this spring. They may be sophomores or juniors right now. I don't think its about swaying a kid to us. It's about those kids having something to identify ISU with.
    This. I went to school in Oklahoma up until the end of jr. high and then came to Iowa for high school. The 8th grade team in Ok could probably have put up a good fight against my high school's varsity team. It is insane how devoted the players here in the south are to the sport.


    ____________________________________

    You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

  11. #11
    Prospect AggieClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Braunfels, TX
    Posts
    1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    As someone with kids in HS here in TX, I see 2-4 D1 players on the field each week between our local team and their opponent. You're familiar with one from this part of Texas (Tiller). Bottom line, Texas has 25M people, and football is #1, #2, and #3. A&M and tu only have so many scholarships, and Texas is big enough that Ticka-Tech may as well be in Iowa. TCU, Boise State, and Utah have shown teams can be built with recruits from elsewhere. TV exposure and the ability of family and friends to see them play live a couple times a year is a big deal if you're trying to convince a kid to move 1000 miles from home. Nebraska and Colorado are making big mistakes, the recruiting pipeline to Texas will close, and I doubt made up for with California and Florida. I'm sure CPR can convince kids they're wanted at ISU, but they need to be primed to consider an offer.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 33,839, Level: 56
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cabot, AR
    Posts
    1,676
    Points
    33,839
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    The program IS CHANGING, the Texas win is just more evidence of that. There will be more bumps, but the highs are higher than any high ever before, the lows while familiar will fade once we get more CPR guys in here and build the depth necessary to bring it like we did against Texas for 13 games. I don't buy the idea that we saved up for this effort, but at the same time - its hard to overacheive in every effort - getting the Roster up to level of the Coaching will be huge for the future of Cyclone Football. A win against Texas helps recruiting immensely, but is just more evidence of where this program is headed!



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 64,682, Level: 78
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    mustangcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bloomfield
    Posts
    3,087
    Points
    64,682
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 26

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    The program IS CHANGING, the Texas win is just more evidence of that. There will be more bumps, but the highs are higher than any high ever before, the lows while familiar will fade once we get more CPR guys in here and build the depth necessary to bring it like we did against Texas for 13 games. I don't buy the idea that we saved up for this effort, but at the same time - its hard to overacheive in every effort - getting the Roster up to level of the Coaching will be huge for the future of Cyclone Football. A win against Texas helps recruiting immensely, but is just more evidence of where this program is headed!
    Man, great post. My thoughts exactly! It could be another 2-3 more years though before we really see what CPR can do...may more. It took Gary Pinkle about 6-7 years before Mizzou really turned the corner. I'd imagine it might take CPR the same...maybe a few years less.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 33,839, Level: 56
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cabot, AR
    Posts
    1,676
    Points
    33,839
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Man, great post. My thoughts exactly! It could be another 2-3 more years though before we really see what CPR can do...may more. It took Gary Pinkle about 6-7 years before Mizzou really turned the corner. I'd imagine it might take CPR the same...maybe a few years less.
    I look at what he is doing with what probably could be called the 10th or 11th most talented roster in the league and think about the possibilities of what can be done with a 5th or 6th most talented. Winning the Big 12 in the new format would be absolutely amazing, I think you are right its probably 5-7 years away. In the current format - possibly could have been sooner, heck we were close to playing in the one Game that mattered before, and could be close again this year. Playing everyone will make it much harder though in the future.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 856,835, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,036
    Points
    856,835
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,276
    Given: 1,114

    Re: Win at Texas could be program changing...

    Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    I look at what he is doing with what probably could be called the 10th or 11th most talented roster in the league and think about the possibilities of what can be done with a 5th or 6th most talented. Winning the Big 12 in the new format would be absolutely amazing, I think you are right its probably 5-7 years away. In the current format - possibly could have been sooner, heck we were close to playing in the one Game that mattered before, and could be close again this year. Playing everyone will make it much harder though in the future.
    In the current format, we'd be really close already.

    Still, I know they're all tough, but CPR has a great record against the state of Texas. The state of Oklahoma is a problem, but he'll overcome that.

    I think winning the whole thing is probably 5-6 years away, but we can make a run sooner than that. Good times ahead!


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM