Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,250, Level: 75
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 800
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,713
    Points
    59,250
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 6

    Electrical Question - garage outlets

    Background info - my garage (new construction) has 3 receptacles, 2 are in the ceiling for openers, and the other is a GFI on the wall. The 2 ceiling outlets are wired to the GFI.

    So I was installing a couple of garage door openers recently, and everthing went fine with the first one. On the second one, as soon as I plugged in the opener, it tripped the GFI outlet. So I unplugged the first opener, reset the GFI, then plugged in opener 2 and it tripped again.

    So then I unplugged everything, reset the GFI, and tried to plug in the battery charger for my cordless drill (no battery in the charger) and it tripped. What gives? Is there a short in the ceiling outlet or something? The builder will fix it if something is wrong, but I don't know how soon they can get to it. If it's something simple I'm missing, please let me know.

    Thoughts?



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,498, Level: 27
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    hazleton
    Posts
    266
    Points
    8,498
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Electrical Question - garage outlets

    gfci may not be working correctly. is it a 20a or a 15a? does it only trip with the same outlet in the ceiling?



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 172,942, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,654
    Points
    172,942
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 13

    Re: Electrical Question - garage outlets

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Background info - my garage (new construction) has 3 receptacles, 2 are in the ceiling for openers, and the other is a GFI on the wall. The 2 ceiling outlets are wired to the GFI.

    So I was installing a couple of garage door openers recently, and everthing went fine with the first one. On the second one, as soon as I plugged in the opener, it tripped the GFI outlet. So I unplugged the first opener, reset the GFI, then plugged in opener 2 and it tripped again.

    So then I unplugged everything, reset the GFI, and tried to plug in the battery charger for my cordless drill (no battery in the charger) and it tripped. What gives? Is there a short in the ceiling outlet or something? The builder will fix it if something is wrong, but I don't know how soon they can get to it. If it's something simple I'm missing, please let me know.

    Thoughts?
    (skip to second paragraph if you don't want a long, dumb story)

    I had a similar issue in my kitchen. A couple of the outlets weren't working. I had hit the GFI reset before and they'd work again but kinda forgot about that. Called an electrician and he came and tested the outlets then hit the GFI and they started working so he assumed it was just that. Of course, the electrician is a friend and he told all my other friends that I called an electrician to reset my GFI:) Anyway, after he left I tried to plug something in to one of the outlets and it wasn't working again. I took that outlet out and found a loose wire that was causing a short. Fixed it and all is good now except my pride.

    So, check for a short in the two ceiling outlets.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,250, Level: 75
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 800
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,713
    Points
    59,250
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 6

    Re: Electrical Question - garage outlets

    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    gfci may not be working correctly. is it a 20a or a 15a? does it only trip with the same outlet in the ceiling?
    It appears to be working correctly, only the 2nd ceiling outlet causes it to trip. It just starting tripping when I got to the second opener in the second outlet.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 61,177, Level: 76
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CycoCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    4,542
    Points
    61,177
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 32

    Re: Electrical Question - garage outlets

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    It appears to be working correctly, only the 2nd ceiling outlet causes it to trip. It just starting tripping when I got to the second opener in the second outlet.
    It's really cheap to replace 2nd outlet in ceiling if you find no wiring issues in that box. Try that, and if GFI still trips, I'd replace GFI


    John Walters is my hero

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 36,419, Level: 58
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    clonomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,989
    Points
    36,419
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Electrical Question - garage outlets

    Make sure your devices are not shorting either.


    WE ARE IOWA STATE

  7. #7
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,498, Level: 27
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    hazleton
    Posts
    266
    Points
    8,498
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Electrical Question - garage outlets

    yeah, if only one outlet is tripping the gfi replace that one.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM