Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 878

Fred's First Class vs Fred's First Class

Fred's Freshman Class vs Fred's First Freshman Class

I was interested, on Media Day, to see that one publication included a photo of Fred Hoiberg's freshman class, twenty years ago in 1990. Aside from the obvious "boy am I getting old!", I couldn't help but think about the similarities between the two groups of incoming freshman basketball players. the '90 group was arguably Johnny's most talented--and decidedly his was the most successful, and it will be interesting to see if this class manages to build as much sucess as the before their careers are over. Of course, Fred has managed to assemble a bit of talent to complement them as well. .

Yet I was surprised at some of the eerie similarities, some more

Fred Hoiberg vs Melvin Ejim
    I might as well start off with the easy one. Fred Hoiberg was the most recognized member of his class, the most highly recruiited and decorated, and as a freshman played out of position (small forward) as he proved himself an all around, selfless, multiply skilled shooter and athlete--not just a shooter. Melvin Ejim is the most decorated player of his recruiting class, it looks like he'll be spending some time playing out of position (power forward), and appears that he is an all around, selfless, multiply skilled player. Next?

Julius Michalik vs Eric McKnight
    This one is a matchup of obverse players. Julius Michalik was highly skilled, while not everly gifted in the athletic run-and-jump department. Mcknight, on the other hand, is outrageously gifted in the latter, and still developing the former. How much those ball skills come along will show just how well he can emulate Julo's sterling career.

Hurl Beechum vs Calvin Godfrey
    This matchup is in the nature of roles, for Hurl Beechum was largely a one dimensional role player--a shooter, with all it's permutations. Godfrey, by all accounts, is a banger--with all it's permutations-and he certainly has a role to play. Especially this season--but in a few years, someone will have to complement Railey and McKnight. I'm pretty sure that Godfrey will offer bang for the buck whoever he complements.

Loren Meyer vs Jordan Railey
    No, I didn't just stick the two centers together by simple accident. Nor is that strange a coupling. After all, Loren, along with The Mayor, was the most highly recuited member of the class, and captured a lot of nartional attention. Both he and Fred went on to be drafted, albeit with differing NBA careers. Railey's high school career was much more...anonymous.

However, that doesn't mean that their skills and abilities aren't similar, with a potential for similar results one day. Meyer, for all of his foibles, was a player who could run the court, score inside, and rebound. So far, it looks like Railey can run the court--with the remainder to be seen. Of course, that's kinda what Loren looked like as a freshman.

Well, sure, before it was all done, Fred, Loren and Co had some help--and more than a little success. Of course, Melvin and Co have a little help waiting in the wings (and to bang against in practice), so it'll be really, really interesting to see how their four year ride rolls along.

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

Rookie
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Fred's First Class vs Fred's First Class

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post

I was interested, on Media Day, to see that one publication included a photo of Fred Hoiberg's freshman class, twenty years ago in 1990. Aside from the obvious "boy am I getting old!", I couldn't help but think about the similarities between the two groups of incoming freshman basketball players. the '90 group was arguably Johnny's most talented--and decidedly his was the most successful, and it will be interesting to see if this class manages to build as much sucess as the before their careers are over. Of course, Fred has managed to assemble a bit of talent to complement them as well. .

I might as well start off with the easy one. Fred Hoiberg was the most recognized member of his class, the most highly recruiited and decorated, and as a freshman played out of position (small forward) as he proved himself an all around, selfless, multiply skilled shooter and athlete--not just a shooter. Melvin Ejim is the most decorated player of his recruiting class, it looks like he'll be spending some time playing out of position (power forward), and appears that he is an all around, selfless, multiply skilled player. Next?

This one is a matchup of obverse players. Julius Michalik was highly skilled, while not everly gifted in the athletic run-and-jump department. Mcknight, on the other hand, is outrageously gifted in the latter, and still developing the former. How much those ball skills come along will show just how well he can emulate Julo's sterling career.

This matchup is in the nature of roles, for Hurl Beechum was largely a one dimensional role player--a shooter, with all it's permutations. Godfrey, by all accounts, is a banger--with all it's permutations-and he certainly has a role to play. Especially this season--but in a few years, someone will have to complement Railey and McKnight. I'm pretty sure that Godfrey will offer bang for the buck whoever he complements.

No, I didn't just stick the two centers together by simple accident. Nor is that strange a coupling. After all, Loren, along with The Mayor, was the most highly recuited member of the class, and captured a lot of nartional attention. Both he and Fred went on to be drafted, albeit with differing NBA careers. Railey's high school career was much more...anonymous.

However, that doesn't mean that their skills and abilities aren't similar, with a potential for similar results one day. Meyer, for all of his foibles, was a player who could run the court, score inside, and rebound. So far, it looks like Railey can run the court--with the remainder to be seen. Of course, that's kinda what Loren looked like as a freshman.

Well, sure, before it was all done, Fred, Loren and Co had some help--and more than a little success. Of course, Melvin and Co have a little help waiting in the wings (and to bang against in practice), so it'll be really, really interesting to see how their four year ride rolls along.
    Personally, I am not sure how similar these two classes are. I guess every class will have guys deemed to be stars, other guys to be role player, some that are skilled, some that are athletes.

I think the main thing that will allow them to have the same impact as Fred's class, is that they all stay for 4 years, developing together to form a great foundation for the program.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,335
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 67

Off-Topic, but I actually saw Julius last week. He bought some new golf clubs and good lord the guy cannot play to save his life.

Either way, just looking at it quickly, Fred's college class is 10x better.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ZJohnson View Post

Either way, just looking at it quickly, Fred's college class is 10x better.
    Well, it is easy to say that, isn't it? After they've completed their careers. Let's check back in 2015 before we decide that one or the other is "better".

Mostly, I thought it was interesting that, exactly twenty years later, with Fred now as coach, that the two classes were so similar.

Who knew?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,335
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 67

Name two of those guys that will have NBA careers.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, it is easy to say that, isn't it? After they've completed their careers. Let's check back in 2015 before we decide that one or the other is "better".

How many thought Fred or Meyer where going to have NBA careers in 1991?

Ejim and McKnight could develop into NBA guys.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 11

Not sure. You have a nickel?

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post

Hmmmmmmmm.
    Well, I for one, really enjoyed this.
    Nice little retrospective here.
    Thank you for your time and effort.

Only time will tell, right?
    (I certainly like our chances.)

GO CYCLONES

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Sure. Check back with me in 2015.

Who knew?

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 44

Nice try comparing the classes. Good read.

But Not So Fast My Friend......

The two classes really don't compare much with each other. You reached on most of it. Still good read though.

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by CYinPA View Post

How many thought Fred or Meyer where going to have NBA careers in 1991?

Ejim and McKnight could develop into NBA guys.
    I get your point, but both Fred and Loren were highly thought of. The recruiting attention around Fred was different becuase people weren't sure if he would go D1 in football or basketball. Any 7 footer (that is how Loren was billed, although I believe he was actually shorter than that) that can walk and chew gum had a shot at the pros back then. I was in grad school then (yes, I am old) and they both had the athleticism, even as Freshmen that made you think they had a shot.

Sure Meyer got pushed around and made lots of silly fouls, but there was one play his freshman year when I knew he had "it". He was filling the wing on a fast break, actually I believe trailing down the middle, got the ball, and when a guy tried to cut him off, he did a 360 layup. Fred was fearless driving the lane from the wing and got fouled hard--a lot, and of course he was a great free through shooter. And who could forget his dunk over Acie Earl?

So long winded way of answering your question by saying, yeah they both looked like they had a shot, even as freshmen. What I didn't realize about Hoiberg was how good of a long range shooter he would become. He was always good, but I was impressed by the driving.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyberJJJ View Post
    I get your point, but both Fred and Loren were highly thought of. The recruiting attention around Fred was different becuase people weren't sure if he would go D1 in football or basketball. Any 7 footer (that is how Loren was billed, although I believe he was actually shorter than that) that can walk and chew gum had a shot at the pros back then. I was in grad school then (yes, I am old) and they both had the athleticism, even as Freshmen that made you think they had a shot.

Sure Meyer got pushed around and made lots of silly fouls, but there was one play his freshman year when I knew he had "it". He was filling the wing on a fast break, actually I believe trailing down the middle, got the ball, and when a guy tried to cut him off, he did a 360 layup. Fred was fearless driving the lane from the wing and got fouled hard--a lot, and of course he was a great free through shooter. And who could forget his dunk over Acie Earl?

So long winded way of answering your question by saying, yeah they both looked like they had a shot, even as freshmen. What I didn't realize about Hoiberg was how good of a long range shooter he would become. He was always good, but I was impressed by the driving.
    The point is you do not determine if speculation is amiss by using hindsight.

Outside of a few top freshmen, it is a long shot for anyone.
    Oddly, there have been many teams since Fred and Loren played that have had 2 guys that would see at least a handful of minutes in the NBA. Almost all have had at 1 guy.

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by CYinPA View Post
    The point is you do not determine if speculation is amiss by using hindsight.

Outside of a few top freshmen, it is a long shot for anyone.
    Oddly, there have been many teams since Fred and Loren played that have had 2 guys that would see at least a handful of minutes in the NBA. Almost all have had at 1 guy.
    Agree with most of your statements. The buzz around the class Fred came in with was partly because we had good instate talent that year, and ISU got most of who they wanted, which lead to Orr's famous quote:

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing."

However, I am not worried about how good of a pro player these guys become. I am just worried about how good of an Cyclone they become. I recognize, from reading some of the recent recruits' quotes, that some think they have a shot at the NBA and see Hoiberg as a coach that can help them get there.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,299
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 77

I wouldn't say there are any eeire similarities, but nice to put in the time to write that up.

Addict
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,239
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 222

We haven't (nor probably has anyone else) had a guy named Hurl since.