Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 22

Half Ironman

My training/nutrition is stuck in a rut. So, I've decided I want to do a Half Ironman in 2010(ooops meant 2011, that's what happens when I type after my bedtime). I am very goal oriented, so having this goal to train for will be very motivating for me.

1. I am looking for any suggestions anyone would like to share for someone doing their first race of this scale. I have done a triathalon sprint distance, no sweat. My two biggest challenges will be improving my swimming speed, and improving my running endurance/distance.

2. I am also looking for a virtual training partner for accountability, perhaps also to do the race together or someone wanting to do a different race, but wants someone to keep them in check and motivated as well. Or someone who has done these races and might be willing to be a virtual coach.

3. Right now I was considering the two Half Ironmans that are in Wisconsin June & July, but open to anyone's suggestions. I didn't want travel/vacation to be a distraction from my training and the race.

It was only a few years ago that I thought people who did these things were crazy.

Last edited by twistedredbird; 10-20-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

Re: Half Ironman

Not much to add except for that you've lost it. May wanna try it in 2011 too.

In all seriousness, best of luck. Just finished my first marathon and I have a ton of respect for the idiots () who put themselves through this crap.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    My training/nutrition is stuck in a rut. So, I've decided I want to do a Half Ironman in 2010. I am very goal oriented, so having this goal to train for will be very motivating for me.

1. I am looking for any suggestions anyone would like to share for someone doing their first race of this scale. I have done a triathalon sprint distance, no sweat. My two biggest challenges will be improving my swimming speed, and improving my running endurance/distance.

2. I am also looking for a virtual training partner for accountability, perhaps also to do the race together or someone wanting to do a different race, but wants someone to keep them in check and motivated as well. Or someone who has done these races and might be willing to be a virtual coach.

3. Right now I was considering the two Half Ironmans that are in Wisconsin June & July, but open to anyone's suggestions. I didn't want travel/vacation to be a distraction from my training and the race.

It was only a few years ago that I thought people who did these things were crazy.
    multiple Ironman finisher here. doing an im '11

1. Prepare a plan. Train. Have fun. Don't take this **** to seriously. You can't make or break your day on the swim. You can really go into 'dark places' if you don't have the proper training/volume on the bike/run.
    2 . lots of suggesions here.
    3. June is a bit early to get the volume in depending on what part of the country you are in. You will really need to start picking up your volume in Feb time frame for a June 1/2 IM. Where are you based?

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Not much to add except for that you've lost it. May wanna try it in 2011 too.

In all seriousness, best of luck. Just finished my first marathon and I have a ton of respect for the idiots () who put themselves through this crap.
    fixed. thanks.

congratulations on your accomplishment.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I participated in my first Oly Tri last year ( actually the Hy-vee was shortened to a sprint but I trained for the Oly). Congrats on your decision to challenge yourself with a tri. It is amazing to feel that sense of accomplishment, I'm sure you will do great

One word of warning is that I found it hard to lose weight during training. If weight loss is a primary goal then you may want to rethink tri training.

Training for a HIM you will burn alot of calories and you will need to consume a lot to keep your energy levels up to finish your longer training sessions. In the end I gained A LOT of conditioning and fitness level but not much weight loss.

I liked to use BeginnerTriathlete.com - Triathlon Training for Beginners they have different training plans for different fitness levels and even plans that focus more on your weakes areas (ie swimming for me).

One thing I might suggest is to join a master swimmers class at a local YMCA or wherever you plan to swim through the winter. Looking back I wish I would have done this and if I commit to the tri this year I likely will sign up.

Sorry for the long response. GOOD LUCK!!!

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    multiple Ironman finisher here. doing an im '11

1. Prepare a plan. Train. Have fun. Don't take this **** to seriously. You can't make or break your day on the swim. You can really go into 'dark places' if you don't have the proper training/volume on the bike/run.
    2 . lots of suggesions here.
    3. June is a bit early to get the volume in depending on what part of the country you are in. You will really need to start picking up your volume in Feb time frame for a June 1/2 IM. Where are you based?
    I'm in Wisconsin. I know indoor isn't as good, but handle cold well, so outdoor in 40s/50s if fine with me.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm in Wisconsin. I know indoor isn't as good, but handle cold well, so outdoor in 40s/50s if fine with me.
    Look at Racine then although it is historically a steamy race. The 40/50's isn't the wisconsin I know in February...is there a Wisconsin, Florida?

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    I participated in my first Oly Tri last year ( actually the Hy-vee was shortened to a sprint but I trained for the Oly). Congrats on your decision to challenge yourself with a tri. It is amazing to feel that sense of accomplishment, I'm sure you will do great

One word of warning is that I found it hard to lose weight during training. If weight loss is a primary goal then you may want to rethink tri training.

Training for a HIM you will burn alot of calories and you will need to consume a lot to keep your energy levels up to finish your longer training sessions. In the end I gained A LOT of conditioning and fitness level but not much weight loss.

I liked to use BeginnerTriathlete.com - Triathlon Training for Beginners they have different training plans for different fitness levels and even plans that focus more on your weakes areas (ie swimming for me).

One thing I might suggest is to join a master swimmers class at a local YMCA or wherever you plan to swim through the winter. Looking back I wish I would have done this and if I commit to the tri this year I likely will sign up.

Sorry for the long response. GOOD LUCK!!!
    The reality is that most people use four bike rides(runs, swimming, etc) as an excuse to over-eat. There is not one single reason to not lose weight during training. However; most people think they can eat without sense when they start doing this type of training(I have first hand experience)-this simply isn't true. It is all about cals.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Look at Racine then although it is historically a steamy race. The 40/50's isn't the wisconsin I know in February...is there a Wisconsin, Florida?
    I've heard the Racine race is better, though swimming in Lake Michigan on a windy day can be tough.

I was thinking like March for the 40s, though last year we had snow in May.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I've heard the Racine race is better, though swimming in Lake Michigan on a windy day can be tough.

I was thinking like March for the 40s, though last year we had snow in May.
    it LM can be choppy, however; it is a 'with current' swim for a portion.

you could also look at the new "world championship"(olympic distance) in Des Moines next year for the WTC IM 5150 on Labor Day Weekend. That could give you a chance to get to a game in Ames.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The reality is that most people use four bike rides(runs, swimming, etc) as an excuse to over-eat. There is not one single reason to not lose weight during training. However; most people think they can eat without sense when they start doing this type of training(I have first hand experience)-this simply isn't true. It is all about cals.
    Well, after losing 150 lbs, I plateaued in March and haven't lost anything permanent since then. Body fat has gone down some, but still, I work out 5-6 days a week with weight training 2 or 3 days a week and I usually eat by the book except one day a week.

So frustration has set in for me causing me to lose motivation to stay focused on my workouts/nutrition, and the trainers that I worked with to lose the 150 suggested I do this since I want to do one, and forget the scale, and suggested that this might help break my body out of my rut. If I don't lose anything, it won't be any worse than what I am doing now.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

it LM can be choppy, however; it is a 'with current' swim for a portion.

you could also look at the new "world championship"(olympic distance) in Des Moines next year for the WTC IM 5150 on Labor Day Weekend. That could give you a chance to get to a game in Ames.
    thanks for the suggestion.

I live in Racine County, so a local race has its appeal (no cost for travel).

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, after losing 150 lbs, I plateaued in March and haven't lost anything permanent since then. Body fat has gone down some, but still, I work out 5-6 days a week with weight training 2 or 3 days a week and I usually eat by the book except one day a week.

So frustration has set in for me causing me to lose motivation to stay focused on my workouts/nutrition, and the trainers that I worked with to lose the 150 suggested I do this since I want to do one, and forget the scale, and suggested that this might help break my body out of my rut. If I don't lose anything, it won't be any worse than what I am doing now.
    very cool. my post was more targeted at other poster that said you will find it hard to lose weight training for this distance. i agree with his notion-it is born out of the idea that tons of cardio gives you categoric freedom. It opens the window on calories just not unlimited...

how much do you weigh now?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

very cool. my post was more targeted at other poster that said you will find it hard to lose weight training for this distance. i agree with his notion-it is born out of the idea that tons of cardio gives you categoric freedom. It opens the window on calories just not unlimited...

how much do you weigh now?
    I'm 6'2", weight fluxuates between 245-255. Body fat is mid 20s.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm 6'2", weight fluxuates between 245-255. Body fat is mid 20s.
    racine is a flatter course which is good for bigger guys.