Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Team update

  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 3,646, Level: 17
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 204
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3
    Points
    3,646
    Level
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Team update

    Spent a couple days at practice this week and thought I'd update others....
    First off if we could play all the transfers, we would be a top 25 team. Allen, Booker, and White definately show starting potential. Babb was out with an injury, but from what he has shown at Penn St., he could start also.
    White is good, but is not as good as I thought he would be. He is not anywhere near the ranking he had as a recruit. He would be an 7 pt. and 7 reb a game player. He is too short to be the stud he was advertised to be.

    Incoming players that can play this year....
    Jake Anderson should definately run point with Garrett as an off guard. Anderson just knows how to run a team and was impressive. Great leader.
    Demarcus Phillips will give us good depth off the bench. Kind of a poor mans A.J. Abrahms. Stocky and can do some good things.
    Melvin Ejim is definately a stud. He will start and could be our best player already. All I am worried about is his attitude. Not sure how much he is buying into the team concept.
    Calvin Godfrey is a good sized athlete and will have to contribute. He is raw but works hard and seems to find rebounds more than anyone else. I am excited for his future.
    McKnight and Railey were very disappointing. They are tall and skinny and not very skilled at all. McKnight is fairly athletic but that is about the only bright thing with these two. Unfortunately Railey will probably have to play, and that is going to be a majore weak spot with the team.

    After all is said and done, I definately think the clones are going to surprise teams this year. They will rely big time on guard play. Next year could be a big time leap and I see the clones as a top 3 team in the Big 12/10..... I know that is a somewhat crazy prediction but I think it's possible.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 84,468, Level: 90
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,107
    Points
    84,468
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

    Re: Team update

    I want some of what you're smoking.

    Thanks for the info, though.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 19,574, Level: 42
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 276
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kcclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,706
    Points
    19,574
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

    Re: Team update

    Quote Originally Posted by weenerhawk View Post
    Spent a couple days at practice this week and thought I'd update others....
    First off if we could play all the transfers, we would be a top 25 team. Allen, Booker, and White definately show starting potential. Babb was out with an injury, but from what he has shown at Penn St., he could start also.
    White is good, but is not as good as I thought he would be. He is not anywhere near the ranking he had as a recruit. He would be an 7 pt. and 7 reb a game player. He is too short to be the stud he was advertised to be.

    Incoming players that can play this year....
    Jake Anderson should definately run point with Garrett as an off guard. Anderson just knows how to run a team and was impressive. Great leader.
    Demarcus Phillips will give us good depth off the bench. Kind of a poor mans A.J. Abrahms. Stocky and can do some good things.
    Melvin Ejim is definately a stud. He will start and could be our best player already. All I am worried about is his attitude. Not sure how much he is buying into the team concept.
    Calvin Godfrey is a good sized athlete and will have to contribute. He is raw but works hard and seems to find rebounds more than anyone else. I am excited for his future.
    McKnight and Railey were very disappointing. They are tall and skinny and not very skilled at all. McKnight is fairly athletic but that is about the only bright thing with these two. Unfortunately Railey will probably have to play, and that is going to be a majore weak spot with the team.

    After all is said and done, I definately think the clones are going to surprise teams this year. They will rely big time on guard play. Next year could be a big time leap and I see the clones as a top 3 team in the Big 12/10..... I know that is a somewhat crazy prediction but I think it's possible.
    thanks for the information. if this is true that is a concern.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 19,360, Level: 42
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    crash_zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tiffin, IA
    Posts
    1,628
    Points
    19,360
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

    Re: Team update

    I'm not sure I've ever heard White described as that. I hope he turns into the super-star he was advertised as.....wouldn't hurt anyway.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 101,395, Level: 99
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,054
    Points
    101,395
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Team update

    A bunch of average transfers from average teams (except Allen) are going to make ISU a top 25 team. It just doesn't pass the smell test. A lot of fans are setting themselves up for a fall. Give Hoiberg the time he needs to really build a program. It's unfair to create a fantasy that he can't live up to.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 97,648, Level: 97
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,402
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,760
    Points
    97,648
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 14

    Re: Team update

    Quote Originally Posted by weenerhawk View Post
    Spent a couple days at practice this week and thought I'd update others....
    First off if we could play all the transfers, we would be a top 25 team. Allen, Booker, and White definately show starting potential. Babb was out with an injury, but from what he has shown at Penn St., he could start also.
    White is good, but is not as good as I thought he would be. He is not anywhere near the ranking he had as a recruit. He would be an 7 pt. and 7 reb a game player. He is too short to be the stud he was advertised to be.

    Incoming players that can play this year....
    Jake Anderson should definately run point with Garrett as an off guard. Anderson just knows how to run a team and was impressive. Great leader.
    Demarcus Phillips will give us good depth off the bench. Kind of a poor mans A.J. Abrahms. Stocky and can do some good things.
    Melvin Ejim is definately a stud. He will start and could be our best player already. All I am worried about is his attitude. Not sure how much he is buying into the team concept.
    Calvin Godfrey is a good sized athlete and will have to contribute. He is raw but works hard and seems to find rebounds more than anyone else. I am excited for his future.
    McKnight and Railey were very disappointing. They are tall and skinny and not very skilled at all. McKnight is fairly athletic but that is about the only bright thing with these two. Unfortunately Railey will probably have to play, and that is going to be a majore weak spot with the team.

    After all is said and done, I definately think the clones are going to surprise teams this year. They will rely big time on guard play. Next year could be a big time leap and I see the clones as a top 3 team in the Big 12/10..... I know that is a somewhat crazy prediction but I think it's possible.
    I got the impression from the Cap City League that Ejim could have a bit of an attitude. Hopefully one of the leaders (Anderson?) can put him in his place.

    So can Fred coach? :) What about Scott--in Fred's interview on cyclones.com, he said he has been out of practice b/c of his back. Scott really toughed it out last year and I was hoping he could be pretty healthy this year since that hurt his shooting. He had to put so much effort into defense and just getting up and down the court that he had no legs left.

    I have no expectations for this year. I fully expect us to be 2009 Iowa bad and you should too. We might as well be pleasantly surprised if things are better than expected.

    We would certainly benefit from having Dendy around. What an idiot that kid was.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 395,737, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,976
    Points
    395,737
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 302

    Re: Team update

    What is Dendy doing now?


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 32,766, Level: 55
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,909
    Points
    32,766
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

    Re: Team update

    Yeah, to bad we couldn't keep keep Dendy and Hamilton. That really hurts.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 350,732, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,856
    Points
    350,732
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 1

    Re: Team update

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    What is Dendy doing now?
    Transferred to Middle Tennessee State.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 67,389, Level: 80
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    timappelgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Posts
    2,280
    Points
    67,389
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

    Re: Team update

    So if White isn't as good as we thought, then why has he broken weight lifting records, and CFH called him a "beast on the block" today and couldn't stop smiling.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 109,583, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,177
    Points
    109,583
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 98

    Re: Team update

    Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    Yeah, to bad we couldn't keep keep Dendy and Hamilton. That really hurts.
    You'll have that though with transferring and being closer to home...







  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 14,446, Level: 36
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    JJ4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WDM Side of Waukee
    Posts
    1,202
    Points
    14,446
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Team update

    I don't know weenerhawk from a hole in the ground, but I'm guessing NBA GMs are not lining up to hire him as a scout...



  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 11,146, Level: 31
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    562
    Points
    11,146
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Team update

    Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    A bunch of average transfers from average teams (except Allen) are going to make ISU a top 25 team. It just doesn't pass the smell test. A lot of fans are setting themselves up for a fall. Give Hoiberg the time he needs to really build a program. It's unfair to create a fantasy that he can't live up to.
    I am not going to say it is certain ISU will be a top-3 Big 12 team come 2011-12, but I think you are understating the transfer/incoming group. It does not matter what team they are coming from at all.
    Remember 2000? JT, Nurse, and Horton came from JuCo's. Compare that to Allen (MSU), Babb (PSU), White (Minn), and Booker (SIU). Allen and White are not average transfers. All but Babb were more highly thought of than most of the players on any successful ISU team. Not too mention they will be in the program for a year.

    Coaches always deserve more time than fans give them.

    Did we really learn anything from this "report"?



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 65,011, Level: 79
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,439
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    5,285
    Points
    65,011
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 70

    Re: Team update

    I am ok losing ham and Dendy considering the transfers we were able to take. Dendy only had this year left and was a headcase; and not sure ham could keep up with the up-tempo the team is looking for.



  15. #15
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Team update

    weenerhawk what day did you see the team? was Scott practicing when you were there? Thank you for sharing. I hear that DG banked in a 3 quarter court shot at the end of a drill one of the days did you see that?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM