Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 116

Big 12 WBB Conference Meetings

Nothing really new here. Baylor is being reaffirmed by everyone as the best of the conference. Adding their star frosh to an already imposing lineup (that went to the final four last year) puts them in a position to perhaps play with and beat UConn. Coach Kim feels this is the best, deepest team she's had. Coach Fennelly confirms this in his comments and the ladies get to start the season on the road (on TV) playing the Lady Bears in Waco.

Beyond that Coach F. reiterates that we are still in the search for someone to emerge as point guard. He specifically mentions Mansfield as the person who could step into that role and likes what he is seeing from Cole. Another player mentioned in passing, which I happen to like, is Jessica Schroll. This is the person I think will be the dark horse of the season. The break out player. She has skills no one else on the team has. Absolutely no mention of the powerful post presence on the ISU team. Guess that isn't news.

We will know something about this team very early on as we play Drake, UNI, Virginia, West Virginia, Iowa and Michigan very early on. That is not a cakewalk.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 83

Re: Big 12 WBB Conference Meetings

Thanks for spreading the info. I didn't have a chance to follow it live on Big XII website.

Beating EIU will be a must this year. Like others Fanatics said: they attract high ranking gals.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

RE: Baylor: I expect Baylor to be good, really really good, but they, like ISU last year, are going to be relying on young players. They will probably win some major games, and lose some surprising games. The big question is who is going to step up and play the 4 for Baylor. Though they have Jones back, their outside shooting is still questionable. And that 4 will need to be tough and physical scorer to open up Griner. Their 4 will be an undersized post for the most part. Williams is a great transfer, but mostly a question mark(freshman realistically), Sims, though major big-time player, a freshman. By end of season, if no injuries and the team jels, look out, but out of the gates, there will be some learning curves.

For ISU: I also look for Schroll to be a major impact player. I was really impressed with her athleticism, and a consistent outside shot for her will do wonders for our offense, and she can drive. I also think she can fill that perimeter defensive role that Stuckey had. I look for her and Poppens to be rebounding beasts. I believe BF said that Jess will the key for this team's success this year. But with aggressive players such as Pop and Schroll, BF is going to have to learn to accept their mistakes/turnovers, which he has a hard time doing, as hard aggressive players usually don't perform well on a leash.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 116

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    RE: Baylor: I expect Baylor to be good, really really good, but they, like ISU last year, are going to be relying on young players. They will probably win some major games, and lose some surprising games. The big question is who is going to step up and play the 4 for Baylor. Though they have Jones back, their outside shooting is still questionable. And that 4 will need to be tough and physical scorer to open up Griner. Their 4 will be an undersized post for the most part. Williams is a great transfer, but mostly a question mark(freshman realistically), Sims, though major big-time player, a freshman. By end of season, if no injuries and the team jels, look out, but out of the gates, there will be some learning curves.

For ISU: I also look for Schroll to be a major impact player. I was really impressed with her athleticism, and a consistent outside shot for her will do wonders for our offense, and she can drive. I also think she can fill that perimeter defensive role that Stuckey had. I look for her and Poppens to be rebounding beasts. I believe BF said that Jess will the key for this team's success this year. But with aggressive players such as Pop and Schroll, BF is going to have to learn to accept their mistakes/turnovers, which he has a hard time doing, as hard aggressive players usually don't perform well on a leash.
    I've said much the same about Schroll since the middle of last season. She has the skills and aggressive nature to excel. For those of you that don't remember...she was nearly able to slam dunk as a high school junior prior to blowing out a knee. She is a very pure athlete. I think Bill will have to deal more with fouls initially than turnovers as their (her and Pop) aggressive nature will get them in trouble. Once that is harnessed things will be fun to watch.

Personally, I'm anxious to see if Prins is (a) stronger and (b) quicker underneath. Last year she had soft hands (turnovers and getting rebounds taken away) and was slow to react on defense. That has to change.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 63

Turning over the ball really isn't acceptable, unless your name is Tinsley.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 404

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Turning over the ball really isn't acceptable, unless your name is Tinsley.
    Colvin was not too bad himself.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,512
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 503
    Given: 442

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    I've said much the same about Schroll since the middle of last season. She has the skills and aggressive nature to excel. For those of you that don't remember...she was nearly able to slam dunk as a high school junior prior to blowing out a knee. She is a very pure athlete. I think Bill will have to deal more with fouls initially than turnovers as their (her and Pop) aggressive nature will get them in trouble. Once that is harnessed things will be fun to watch.

Personally, I'm anxious to see if Prins is (a) stronger and (b) quicker underneath. Last year she had soft hands (turnovers and getting rebounds taken away) and was slow to react on defense. That has to change.

I think we will see a healthy and different Prins. She even looks more fit this year. With injury and illness last year she never really got into the kind of basketball shape she needed to be in. Just a feeling but think she is going to be way improved.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Colvin was not too bad himself.
    hmmm....I thought this was the women's basketball forum.

of course speaking of Schroll and Pop, when I say TOs, in BF speak that includes fouls, which as another poster said was Pop's and Schroll's bigger issue than straight TOs. Though Fennelly has said he would rather the players get a dead ball turnover (such as hold the ball too long or travel, than get a live ball TO, which he hates cause that means points.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    I think we will see a healthy and different Prins. She even looks more fit this year. With injury and illness last year she never really got into the kind of basketball shape she needed to be in. Just a feeling but think she is going to be way improved.
    looking forward to it. he did say because of her illness last year, she was fresher than most of the other players though, albeit her conditioning suffered. I've heard that she worked on her strength this summer, so can't wait to see her on the court. Loved how she said she was looking forward to her rematch with Baylor. Got to love players who want to play the best and test themselves in such a way.

One thing I have always wanted to see was kind of an all-star game series among conferences, where conferences put together teams post season to play other conferences and have a conference champion. Imagine Prins and Griner on the same team. OUCH.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Ouch !
    Gocyclones.com just had an article today that Prins has been missing practice because of pneumonia