Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 101,755, Level: 99
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    HiltonMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,189
    Points
    101,755
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 48

    Curveballs are optical illusions

    Interesting read:

    A Curveball’s Curve? It’s All in Your Head | Playbook

    The average curveball hurls toward a batter at around 75 mph, accentuated by a 1500-rpm spin. From the moment the ball leaves the pitcherís hand, it travels a smooth, consistent, parabolic arc. Thereís no disjointed change in its motion from beginning to end.


    Don't confuse hope for a plan.

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 231,064, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18,728
    Points
    231,064
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,338
    Given: 889

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    My high school science teacher said the same thing, and I have to I call BS, having thrown them and batted against them. They definitely break.

    Couple of years ago sat right behind home plat at a MLB game. Huge and abrupt break on their pitches.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 60,874, Level: 76
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,601
    Points
    60,874
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 34

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    Is my slice on the tee just an "optical illusion" too?



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 58,649, Level: 75
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CloneState1028's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    3,273
    Points
    58,649
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    Science needs to stop interfering with some of this sports stuff. I remember a while back some article being posted on here about how getting a 'hot hand' in basketball was a myth for whatever reason. These guys have never played sports before, IMO.



  5. #5
    Walk On
    Points: 7,887, Level: 26
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eldridge, IA
    Posts
    147
    Points
    7,887
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    Is my slice on the tee just an "optical illusion" too?
    This is my new story....



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 139,626, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    iahawkhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huxley, IA
    Posts
    2,840
    Points
    139,626
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 76

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneState1028 View Post
    Science needs to stop interfering with some of this sports stuff. I remember a while back some article being posted on here about how getting a 'hot hand' in basketball was a myth for whatever reason. These guys have never played sports before, IMO.
    There's no problem with using science to explain how some sports phenomena works. The key, though, is to recognize that in sports psychology can make a huge difference. The governing physics are unchanging, but my input actions do change. If I've had recent success shooting a basketball I'm more likely to confidently take a shot and therefore be more likely to make that shot. If I doubt myself I'm more likely to miss.

    Regarding the curveball (FWIW, I'm not a baseball player), if I'm pre-conditioned to see the ball break, I'll be more likely to see the parabolic arc as having a kink in it (also, a parabola doesn't have constant curvature, so I wouldn't be surprised if the "break" is simply a tightening of the curvature).

    This sports psychology reminds me of something from tennis. A pro player honestly believed that he was "rolling" the racket over the top of the ball as he made contact. Later scientific study showed that the rolling motion came after the ball had been struck. Too bad for anyone who strained their elbows while trying to roll their racket while contacting the ball...


    Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 48,651, Level: 68
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    sodakjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    2,799
    Points
    48,651
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkhunter View Post
    There's no problem with using science to explain how some sports phenomena works. The key, though, is to recognize that in sports psychology can make a huge difference. The governing physics are unchanging, but my input actions do change. If I've had recent success shooting a basketball I'm more likely to confidently take a shot and therefore be more likely to make that shot. If I doubt myself I'm more likely to miss.

    Regarding the curveball (FWIW, I'm not a baseball player), if I'm pre-conditioned to see the ball break, I'll be more likely to see the parabolic arc as having a kink in it (also, a parabola doesn't have constant curvature, so I wouldn't be surprised if the "break" is simply a tightening of the curvature).

    This sports psychology reminds me of something from tennis. A pro player honestly believed that he was "rolling" the racket over the top of the ball as he made contact. Later scientific study showed that the rolling motion came after the ball had been struck. Too bad for anyone who strained their elbows while trying to roll their racket while contacting the ball...
    Shh...you put your education away.


    Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

    And thank you Stumpy for this:

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,275, Level: 75
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 775
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclones_R_GR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    3,981
    Points
    59,275
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 444
    Given: 1,023

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneState1028 View Post
    Science needs to stop interfering with some of this sports stuff. I remember a while back some article being posted on here about how getting a 'hot hand' in basketball was a myth for whatever reason. These guys have never played sports before, IMO.
    Those guys need to talk to Lafester Rhodes


    They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 45,657, Level: 66
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,293
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    RandomFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,034
    Points
    45,657
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 7

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    NERDS!!!!!!!!




  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 27,299, Level: 50
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    southern iowa
    Posts
    2,841
    Points
    27,299
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 284

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    Quote Originally Posted by HiltonMagic View Post
    Interesting read:

    A Curveballís Curve? Itís All in Your Head | Playbook

    The average curveball hurls toward a batter at around 75 mph, accentuated by a 1500-rpm spin. From the moment the ball leaves the pitcherís hand, it travels a smooth, consistent, parabolic arc. Thereís no disjointed change in its motion from beginning to end.
    I would like to invite these guys to try and hit one and then tell me it's an optical illusion


    Go Cyclones!!

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 218,502, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LA LA Land
    Posts
    17,617
    Points
    218,502
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,489
    Given: 2,318

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    Quote Originally Posted by HiltonMagic View Post
    Interesting read:

    A Curveballís Curve? Itís All in Your Head | Playbook

    The average curveball hurls toward a batter at around 75 mph, accentuated by a 1500-rpm spin. From the moment the ball leaves the pitcherís hand, it travels a smooth, consistent, parabolic arc. Thereís no disjointed change in its motion from beginning to end.
    Is this arc really any different than what all of us thought a curve ball looked like? Extend the arc further on one side than the other because the release point is a few feet higher than the strike zone and that would be pretty much what I always figured a curve ball looks like.



  12. #12
    Recruit
    Points: 7,635, Level: 26
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    87
    Points
    7,635
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    The break of the curveball Best Illusion of the Year Contest

    not sure about the validity of this theory but it does make good sense that the hard "break" we see is actually our eyes playing a trick on us, while the curve is a constant radius that doesn't change



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 101,755, Level: 99
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    HiltonMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,189
    Points
    101,755
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 48

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Is this arc really any different than what all of us thought a curve ball looked like? Extend the arc further on one side than the other because the release point is a few feet higher than the strike zone and that would be pretty much what I always figured a curve ball looks like.
    From the article:

    Yet as the ball nears home plate, the batter observes a sudden jump in its trajectory, the notorious “break.” A new study in PLoS ONE argues that the discrepancy between the physics and the perception of the curveball may be all in the mind — or, more specifically, an optical illusion created by the batter’s eyes and brain.


    Don't confuse hope for a plan.

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 128,252, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tim_redd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,767
    Points
    128,252
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 191

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    a fastball and a curve ball are both parabolas, just with different coefficients.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 88,874, Level: 92
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,426
    Points
    88,874
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 198

    Re: Curveballs are optical illusions

    Quote Originally Posted by chicagoCy View Post
    The break of the curveball Best Illusion of the Year Contest

    not sure about the validity of this theory but it does make good sense that the hard "break" we see is actually our eyes playing a trick on us, while the curve is a constant radius that doesn't change
    It also makes sense that as the ball slows in speed, the closer it gets to the plae, the more the spinning of the seams alters its course. Much like a golf ball


    "Not at the table Carlos."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM