Be like this team
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 8,884, Level: 28
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    154
    Points
    8,884
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Be like this team

    Couldn't help but go back and look at this team. What a different style it is from the recent past (it is hard to remember a different time ), but we can be like this team. Just need Royce, guards to step it up and execute, and get better spacing to run and push it. Not sure what defense we will run, but the goal should be to pressure like this team. Hope it can be sooner than later.

    http://vault.ncaa.com/?game=306SR157_s01&seconds=NaN


    Last edited by BeTheCyclone; 10-19-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Link didn't work

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 38,213, Level: 60
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CycloneNorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    2,118
    Points
    38,213
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 13

    Re: Be like this team

    The link doesn't go anywhere.



  3. #3
    Walk On
    Points: 8,884, Level: 28
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    154
    Points
    8,884
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Be like this team

    Fixed the link. My bad.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 111,092, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    10,102
    Points
    111,092
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 796

    Re: Be like this team

    Wow - has it really been 10 years since we did anything in mbb?!

    Maybe someday again.....



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 90,426, Level: 93
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CylentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights, IA
    Posts
    3,402
    Points
    90,426
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

    Re: Be like this team

    Best career move Kapono ever made was losing that head band.


    "Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

    -Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 509,631, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneRulzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    20,925
    Points
    509,631
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,824
    Given: 4,131

    Re: Be like this team

    Ah the good days. Of course I then had to scroll down and check out some of the MSU game. Man if that game goes our way where is this program today?


    CF SURVIVOR 4 WINNER!


    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

    Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 114,046, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CysRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,505
    Points
    114,046
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 690
    Given: 567

    Re: Be like this team

    Wow we were picked to finish last in the Big 12 in 2000?!? Thats what the announcer said at the end of the ISU MSU video. I remember the ending of that game so clearly even though it was over 10 years ago. That was a game we should have won


    "The greatest risk in life is not taking one"

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 25,427, Level: 48
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,280
    Points
    25,427
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 57

    Re: Be like this team

    Quote Originally Posted by phipsiclones View Post
    Wow we were picked to finish last in the Big 12 in 2000?!? Thats what the announcer said at the end of the ISU MSU video. I remember the ending of that game so clearly even though it was over 10 years ago. That was a game we should have won
    Often stated, but not true. We were picked to finish in the middle of the pack.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 18,342, Level: 41
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cysocool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    770
    Points
    18,342
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Be like this team

    Quote Originally Posted by BeTheCyclone View Post
    Couldn't help but go back and look at this team. What a different style it is from the recent past (it is hard to remember a different time ), but we can be like this team. Just need Royce, guards to step it up and execute, and get better spacing to run and push it. Not sure what defense we will run, but the goal should be to pressure like this team. Hope it can be sooner than later.

    NCAA Vault - Basketball Video Clips, Highlights & Games for March Madness Tournament
    Great link, thanks for posting...


    Last edited by cysocool; 10-20-2010 at 02:06 AM.

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 22,187, Level: 45
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    drednot57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    1,696
    Points
    22,187
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 66

    Re: Be like this team

    Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRulzzz View Post
    Ah the good days. Of course I then had to scroll down and check out some of the MSU game. Man if that game goes our way where is this program today?
    A national championship as the team MSU beat didn't put up much of a challenge that year. More than likely ISU would have beat them as well. Had Fizer stayed for his senior year, I'm sure there would be a national championship banner hanging in Hilton today because that team would have been downright unbeatable and ISU would not have lost to Hampton the following season.

    As great as that replay was, ISU does not have a Mel Tinsley on the roster this year, and you saw what a difference he made to that team. DG is a fine PG, but no where near the caliber of Tinsley. Even so, I believe guard play for ISU will be much improved and we'll see many pleasant surprises from them this season despite all the doom and gloom being said about their prospects. Ten to twelve wins this year will be a disappointment IMO. I think anywhere from fourteen to eighteen wins is more likely with the cupcake non-conference schedule ISU will face. I think ISU gets a minimum of eleven wins in the NC schedule. The conference schedule will be much tougher, and I think ISU gets three to five wins there. Still, we will see major steps forward for this program this season.


    P.J. Farmer rocks!

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 97,207, Level: 97
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,843
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,626
    Points
    97,207
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 694

    Re: Be like this team

    Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
    Often stated, but not true. We were picked to finish in the middle of the pack.
    I remember being picked between ninth and 11th by most sources... although I'm sure I didn't see an exhaustive list, but many people claim it was consensus last place (and I don't recall any 12th-place predictions, but I could be wrong). I also don't recall anything near middle of the pack.

    Sorry.

    As Nigel said in "This is Spinal Tap": That's nitpicking, isn't it? Nobody expected a season like that *experts, fans, possibly even the team members themselves.


    Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 17,144, Level: 39
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    rural se North Carolina
    Posts
    646
    Points
    17,144
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

    Re: Be like this team

    Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
    Often stated, but not true. We were picked to finish in the middle of the pack.
    Depended on the publication. We were in fact picked last by at least one. "They have not won with Fizer in his two years at ISU and no change is predicted for this season."-Iowa State 2003-2004 Men's Basketball Media Guide


    Clone4ever

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 63,519, Level: 78
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,331
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    WalkingCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,211
    Points
    63,519
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 226

    Re: Be like this team

    Quote Originally Posted by drednot57 View Post
    A national championship as the team MSU beat didn't put up much of a challenge that year. More than likely ISU would have beat them as well. Had Fizer stayed for his senior year, I'm sure there would be a national championship banner hanging in Hilton today because that team would have been downright unbeatable and ISU would not have lost to Hampton the following season.

    As great as that replay was, ISU does not have a Mel Tinsley on the roster this year, and you saw what a difference he made to that team. DG is a fine PG, but no where near the caliber of Tinsley. Even so, I believe guard play for ISU will be much improved and we'll see many pleasant surprises from them this season despite all the doom and gloom being said about their prospects. Ten to twelve wins this year will be a disappointment IMO. I think anywhere from fourteen to eighteen wins is more likely with the cupcake non-conference schedule ISU will face. I think ISU gets a minimum of eleven wins in the NC schedule. The conference schedule will be much tougher, and I think ISU gets three to five wins there. Still, we will see major steps forward for this program this season.

    Right with you here. Hope we can suprise in Freddy's first year at the helm.

    As for this game that is featured in this thread: ISU-UCLA:

    I remember all the hoopla going into that Sweet 16 game against UCLA....whom, at the time was playing great basketball - they were real hot as of late going into that game -

    As usual, UCLA was getting a ton of press. I just remember their players getting asked at the press conference about their upcoming game against ISU.

    "We're going to teach Iowa State how to play basketball." (I can't remember who specifically said it, but I know that it was said.)

    80-56 Cyclones in a BLOWOUT. Good game though Bruins. Good game. Thanks for playing.




  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 61,751, Level: 77
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,499
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,459
    Points
    61,751
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 0

    Re: Be like this team

    Quote Originally Posted by BeTheCyclone View Post
    Couldn't help but go back and look at this team. What a different style it is from the recent past (it is hard to remember a different time ), but we can be like this team. Just need Royce, guards to step it up and execute, and get better spacing to run and push it. Not sure what defense we will run, but the goal should be to pressure like this team. Hope it can be sooner than later.

    NCAA Vault - Basketball Video Clips, Highlights & Games for March Madness Tournament
    After watching some of that, some things that really stand out:

    Our spacing on Offense was GREAT!
    Tinsley's handle was the BEST ISU has ever had.
    Everyone on our Team rebounded the ball.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  15. #15
    Rookie
    Points: 11,146, Level: 31
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    562
    Points
    11,146
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Be like this team

    NIT is probably best case scenario, but it is hard not to get excited about ISU basketball again.
    Walking though the cold from the parking lot while listening to the pregame, only to arrive to a warm and rocking Hilton, and then watching some intense basketball...nothing beats that imo.
    I really like what Fred is doing.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM