Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

Tailgating in Austin

Is anyone tailgating in Austin, or has before? Are there any good spots for visitors to park and tailgate? I would like to tailgate around a bunch of other fans, which didn't really happen last weekend in Norman, where we tailgated in a park a ways south of the stadium.

If anyone has info on tailgating hotspots or advice in general, please let me know.

Prospect
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Tailgating in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    Is anyone tailgating in Austin, or has before? Are there any good spots for visitors to park and tailgate? I would like to tailgate around a bunch of other fans, which didn't really happen last weekend in Norman, where we tailgated in a park a ways south of the stadium.

If anyone has info on tailgating hotspots or advice in general, please let me know.
    you find a spot, wifey and i will stop by

Recruit
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 9

Some folks asked on the forum and yes, tis true - The ISUAA is doing an indoor tailgate near the stadium. Passes for that are closed now but the REAL outdoor Cyclone tailgate will also be going on a few blocks SW of there first. This one flies the Cy banner and keeps going on AFTER the game, too:

http://www.evite.com/app/publicUrl/PGMOIKSQPHLKGWTZIRBN/tailgate

So don't bother trying to drag around a cooler for that mile+ walk you'll likely have after parking (yes, UT tailgating isn't nearly as easy as Ames. But it IS a blast ). But DO try to RSVP on the Evite so we make sure to have enough beer, booze and food in advance.

Btw, it's the PROCEEDS of the $10 cover that go to a few local charities. Unlike our tailgate 4 & 8 yrs ago, UT now makes you reserve and pay $$ for your tailgate spots back in May. No kidding. So the more the merrier. Like our own little cardinal island in a sea of burnt orange . . .

Prospect
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post

A group of about 8 of us got a tip that Centennial Park at 15th & Trinity allows tailgating similar to what we might find in Ames. We're gonna try that early Saturday morning.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AustinCy View Post
    Some folks asked on the forum and yes, tis true - The ISUAA is doing an indoor tailgate near the stadium. Passes for that are closed now but the REAL outdoor Cyclone tailgate will also be going on a few blocks SW of there first. This one flies the Cy banner and keeps going on AFTER the game, too:

So don't bother trying to drag around a cooler for that mile+ walk you'll likely have after parking (yes, UT tailgating isn't nearly as easy as Ames. But it IS a blast ). But DO try to RSVP on the Evite so we make sure to have enough beer, booze and food in advance.

Btw, it's the PROCEEDS of the $10 cover that go to a few local charities. Unlike our tailgate 4 & 8 yrs ago, UT now makes you reserve and pay $$ for your tailgate spots back in May. No kidding. So the more the merrier. Like our own little cardinal island in a sea of burnt orange . . .
    Any idea what they charge for food/drinks/alcohol at this event? This sound like a good idea if we can't figure out a good place to park and tailgate.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 123

We're going to take a cab to the downtown area and wander around, but if there's a specific place, we're down with it.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wow! That's right in the neighborhood we were planning to start hoofing around. This sounds great!

Recruit
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You will be WAYYYYYY too late to get to Centennial park Saturday morning for your own spot. It's not very big and Longhorn squatters will start taping off their spots Thursday afternoon. Yes, Thursday. Trust me. I have a few UT season holder friends that camp there by Thursday night before every home game. Most are not very friendly to visitors given the tight quarters there and don't share beer or food. What you will have left is your car trunk in a parking garage or stuffing into Sholz's bar around the corner.

Or come up a few blocks to 18th & Brazos to our lot. It's our own service lot that our co-organizer paid for so plenty of space and no abnoxious Longhorn neighbors (but beware there WILL be a few Horns fans at our party too). The $10 gets you beer and BBQ smoked on the spot.

Go RSVP the evite . . .

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You will be WAYYYYYY too late to get to Centennial park Saturday morning for your own spot. It's not very big and Longhorn squatters will start taping off their spots Thursday afternoon. Yes, Thursday. Trust me. I have a few UT season holder friends that camp there by Thursday night before every home game. Most are not very friendly to visitors given the tight quarters there and don't share beer or food. What you will have left is your car trunk in a parking garage or stuffing into Sholz's bar around the corner.

Or come up a few blocks to 18th & Brazos to our lot. It's our own service lot that our co-organizer paid for so plenty of space and no abnoxious Longhorn neighbors (but beware there WILL be a few Horns fans at our party too). The $10 gets you beer and BBQ smoked on the spot.

Go RSVP the evite . . .
    Done. We plan on hitting Sholz's and wandering around a little, to get some local flavor, but it sounds like a blast.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Go RSVP the evite . . .
    That's good advice. It was looking like getting our own good spot was going to be difficult/impossible.

And that is a heck of a deal! I noticed the evite said you could still tote around your own cooler if you wanted. How much beer is allowed? Is it a keg? If it's unlimited, there's not need for me to drag a cooler around. It really sounds like this might be our plan. I will talk with the others in my group (6 of us) to see if they agree.

Thanks for the info.

Prospect
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Go RSVP the evite . . .
    I heard from my UT friend that people often "caution tape" off their spot for the big games but usually for the games that don't matter (ISU vs. UT) UT partygoers don't get there too early. Your description of Centennial Park sounds like the opposite of fun.

What you're telling me is that we'll have a parking spot, food, beer, friends, sunshine, etc. What if I want to bring a beer-pong table and baggo game. Will I be kicked out? This does sound like a fabulous plan. I'll see what my crew thinks.

Last edited by Trout4CY; 10-19-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 169

Wow, that sounds great AustinCy.
    I'd be down for that Trout.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

RSVP'd + 5 guests. This is going to be much better than doing it ourselves.

Recruit
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Pretty much ALL tailgaters have to tape off their spots. There's just sooo many people to cram in all of those lot and parks around campus. If you had a helicopter view from above you'd see just how many Horns fans tailgate compared to Ames. It's HUGE.

So bring whatever you want to our party. My co-organizers are doing a washers tourney (it's a Texas thing ;) so might be tough to squeeze baggo AND a pong table . Just bring $10.

The beer is bottled. Mostly Landshark Lager because it's sponsored. Kegs may come in the afternoon depending on the RSVP count and restock time.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Pretty much ALL tailgaters have to tape off their spots. There's just sooo many people to cram in all of those lot and parks around campus. If you had a helicopter view from above you'd see just how many Horns fans tailgate compared to Ames. It's HUGE.

So bring whatever you want to our party. My co-organizers are doing a washers tourney (it's a Texas thing ;) so might be tough to squeeze baggo AND a pong table . Just bring $10.

The beer is bottled. Mostly Landshark Lager because it's sponsored. Kegs may come in the afternoon depending on the RSVP count and restock time.
    My vote is for the pong table. That way you can play flip cup and get a ton of people involved.