Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Coaching Critics

Something that has been really bothering me over the past few weeks is how people can just drop their belief in our coaching staff so quickly. A couple weeks ago when we beat Texas Tech everyone on this site was so pumped about this staff, then two weeks later after playing two teams that SHOULD/DID beat us far too many people are jumping ship on this staff.

I think some of these people aren't real Cyclone fans because a true cyclone fan shouldn't want to keep flipping the coaching staff over. How the hell are we ever supposed to improve our current players, recruits, and overall reputation in the Big 12 if we keep b*tching about our staff? I hate to make references to EIU but look what having some consistancy does to a program! Ferentz was in season number 3 before he won 7 games, he combined for a total of 4 wins in his first 2 seasons.

All I am trying to say is how about we give this staff a few seasons to get their players into the system and then see if we have made any progress. Until then please keep your negative attitude in check.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 29

Re: Coaching Critics

Welcome to a message board, where people think they know way more than they actually do.

Walk On
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

Remember the average age on this board too. I bet anyone over, say, 25 is not guilty of this... Most people remember FAR worse times than this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 602
    Given: 443

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyClone View Post
    Remember the average age on this board too. I bet anyone over, say, 25 is not guilty of this... Most people remember FAR worse times than this.
    I know I do!

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I'm 21, I support the coaching staff.

I would say 1% of the people on here don't believe in Rhoads, thats a pretty small number.

I have also been a Cyclone fan for my whole life and have lived through some pretty rough stretches.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 939
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Pille1895 View Post
    Something that has been really bothering me over the past few weeks is how people can just drop their belief in our coaching staff so quickly. A couple weeks ago when we beat Texas Tech everyone on this site was so pumped about this staff, then two weeks later after playing two teams that SHOULD/DID beat us far too many people are jumping ship on this staff.

I think some of these people aren't real Cyclone fans because a true cyclone fan shouldn't want to keep flipping the coaching staff over. How the hell are we ever supposed to improve our current players, recruits, and overall reputation in the Big 12 if we keep b*tching about our staff? I hate to make references to EIU but look what having some consistancy does to a program! Ferentz was in season number 3 before he won 7 games, he combined for a total of 4 wins in his first 2 seasons.

All I am trying to say is how about we give this staff a few seasons to get their players into the system and then see if we have made any progress. Until then please keep your negative attitude in check.
    This always gives me a chuckle. Every fan base has those type of fans. A lot of Hok fans wanted to get rid of Kirk Ferentz just a couple short seasons ago.
    There are a lot of things in life that "bother me". Fickle fans just come with the territory. Sort of like how the human race comes with theives and liars. Just one of those things you deal with.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 97

I am not advocating any changes on the staff, but I do think that some criticism of the offense is justified. And the coaching staff themselves set themselves up for it. All we heard all through the offseason was how Arnaud was the most improved player on the team and how many players we had returning on that side of the ball. Then we heard about how young we were on D and how we didn't have much depth.

Fast forward to today and the offense has disappointed in 6 out of 7 games. And they didn't exactly light the world on fire last season either. And for the second year in a row, the defense has been a pleasant surprise. At some point it is only natural to start wondering why Burnham is doing more with less again this year while it appears that Herman is once again doing less with more.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 83

Welcome to the message boards, my friend.

I suggest that you don't go for discussion regarding coaching staffs. You'll feel better if you look at threads related to "breaking up with ex", "where to spend the honeymoon", "what should I do ? (related to relationship problems)", etc.

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 0

Here's my two cents. Are people allowed to question things being done by the coaching staff without being called out and accused of not supporting CPR and his staff? There's a big difference between the two. I love CPR and want him here but several times this year I've wondered what the hell is going on during the week in practice. I don't think I need my Cyclone fandom questioned for that

ABC - Always Be Closing

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 451
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 566

I have no problem supporting this coaching staff. But I don't think it should be required in order to call yourself a fan of Iowa State. People have opinions...it is the way of the world. If you are talking specifically about the fans who were ready to give CPR a lifetime contract after the Tech game but are now ripping him...I see your point and agree! But that said...the coaching industry is about one thing...WINS! I will reserve my judgement as to whether or not CPR is a great coach until he has been given time to be successful. I think year 4 is a fair time to make a strong statement as to whether CPR is a great head coach, a horrible head coach or just an average head coach.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 26

I believe in Rhoads, but seeing a bagel on the scoreboard under "Cyclones" can make a person a little weary. It will pass.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 481
    Given: 211

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    I am not advocating any changes on the staff, but I do think that some criticism of the offense is justified. And the coaching staff themselves set themselves up for it. All we heard all through the offseason was how Arnaud was the most improved player on the team and how many players we had returning on that side of the ball. Then we heard about how young we were on D and how we didn't have much depth.

Fast forward to today and the offense has disappointed in 6 out of 7 games. And they didn't exactly light the world on fire last season either. And for the second year in a row, the defense has been a pleasant surprise. At some point it is only natural to start wondering why Burnham is doing more with less again this year while it appears that Herman is once again doing less with more.
    Agreed. I dont think its the time to fire anyone, but you certainly have to think our offense has been disappointing this year, even taking out the utah\ou\iowa games. Had it not been for our defense generating turnovers, our offense would look even worse, and we couldve been in a fight against UNI. Our offense has had one good game against texas tech, but texas tech has given up 30 or more 3x in a row now, so the 52, while a good number for ISU, is a bit inflated in importance.

I think after year 3 we'll definitely have to be seriously evaluating. May not be a fire situation then yet, but will have to see if it looks like those in place will ever be able to have success or not.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 719
    Given: 398

You can completely support the coaching staff yet still be critical of the offensive coordinator when the offense does not improve yearly with the same players having gained a year of experience. Its called objective analysis. And I don't see anyone calling for anyone's head, just some fair criticism of job performance.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 80

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Agreed. I dont think its the time to fire anyone, but you certainly have to think our offense has been disappointing this year, even taking out the utah\ou\iowa games. Had it not been for our defense generating turnovers, our offense would look even worse, and we couldve been in a fight against UNI. Our offense has had one good game against texas tech, but texas tech has given up 30 or more 3x in a row now, so the 52, while a good number for ISU, is a bit inflated in importance.

I think after year 3 we'll definitely have to be seriously evaluating. May not be a fire situation then yet, but will have to see if it looks like those in place will ever be able to have success or not.
    I disagree with one thing. If you score 45 points against a BCS opponent, your offense was good. I don't care what the situations is, if you score that many, you played well. Scoring 13 offensive points against UNI, on the other hand, is the direct opposite is not acceptable.

It's all snark from here on out

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Pille1895 View Post

It's just a message board dude. The crybabies will come around when CPR turns the corner and he will be here long enough to turn the corner.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.