Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

07/08 Cap City Games

Saw the first 2 games and part of the second. Will do a write up later, but a couple quick thoughts.

Saw Diante for the first time and the guy can get to the hoop and finish. He had many lay ups.

Brackins, Jiri and Thompson were all ineffective.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Re: 07/08 Cap City Games

Look forward to the report! Anyone else who attended, feel free to give us your opinions.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Wesley Johnson had some sweet dunks, and Garrett looked smooth as well. A lot has been said about Steiger's ability to shoot the ball, but I love his court vision and passing skills.

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

who was the guy wearing the white CF shirt about 6 rows up behind the left bench?

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 179

Watched portions of the first two games. Here are my thoughts:

Wesley Johnson seems to be heating up. He was impressive.
    Taylor was a ball hog. But is still the fastest man on the court.
    Alex Thompson got lost in the shuffle.
    Brackins had flashes of offensive brilliance, but overall was a ghost out there.
    Haluska didn't play well (at least in the first half).
    Garrett is very smooth with the basketball and can penetrate at will. He doesn't seem to take 3 pointers, so I can't judge that area.

Brister has some nice passes, does a good job penetrating but can't finish.
    Juri didn't play that bad, but not great either.
    Boozer played much better, but he still needs to redshirt.
    Lee seems to be pretty timid out there.

Overall, our bench will be a lot deeper. I can't wait for the season to begin!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165

Here's my thoughts for the games I saw tonight - caught the last 10 minutes of the first game, the second game, and the first 10 minutes of the third.

I agree with what somebody said about Staiger up there. Definitly can shoot it, more athletic than I imagined at first, huge build, great attitude. IMO he could be the best of the incoming freshman.

Diante can really handle the rock, easily the best ballhandler on the team, great finisher. Hands down the worst attitude from what I saw. I don't know if it was a bad first impression but he really dogged it all over the court, basically did nothing unless he had the ball in his hands, didn't set up his teammates, and basically acted like a cocky punk the whole time. At one point he was taken out of the game, a the guy coming in for him had his hand out for a little slap as he was coming in, Diante rolled his eyes when he saw he was being taken out and didn't give the guy five. Kind of a dick move if you ask me. I think the guy I was with summed it up best when he said, "I can see him and Mike Taylor being friends and getting in trouble together." Dude also has legs about as big around as my wrists - needs to put on some weight badly.

I've seen some sites list Brackins at 6'10". No way is that true. Most athletic big we have but I think he's going to start the year behind Thompson. Thompson in my opinion is never going to put up big numbers but he does a lot of good little things like get position down low and play good defense. He's easily probably got 15 pounds on Brackins right now as well.

Jiri played really well tonight as well in my opinion.

I love the Jack Bruns kid from DMACC. Probably 5'7" or something but he ran the show very well and was very quick. Just a treat to watch in an unorganized setting like the CCL.

I want to note that I personally think Staiger is easily the most Big 12 ready guard we have but I think Brackins and Garrett have HUGE potential. I also don't want it to seem like I'm down on Garrett - I just want guys to use this as a tool to get better and he flat out acted like he just plain didn't give a crap. I just have very high expectations for him. I sat close to coach Rutter as well and he made a lot of notes when Diante had the ball.

I didn't get much of an opinion of Boozer and Brister - Boozer I don't think will see the floor a whole lot this year. Brister is very thick but he didn't even try to score, so I'm guessing it's not a strong suit.

Wesley is without a doubt the best player we have, he looked a bit thicker and stroked his first 3 trey's of the game. Rahshon looked absolutely huge when sitting on the bench watching the first 2 games.

I don't know if this was a bad game for Sean Haluska or not, but I really didn't see what people were raving about on this site the last few weeks. I think he can contribute this year but some people were penciling him in as a potential starter when Mike is out. IMO, no way is that happening.

Also, one last thing to all the Mike Taylor haters: The guards in this class are excellent and will be great with time - but we're screwed without Mike this year so stop saying we'll be better off without him.

Last edited by BryceC; 07-08-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Diante is probably just bored with the CCL already. Plus, he's just a freshman. He will grow up in a hurry when McD gets his paws on him.

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,126
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I love the Jack Bruns kid from DMACC. Probably 5'7" or something but he ran the show very well and was very quick. Just a treat to watch in an unorganized setting like the CCL.
    Do you mean Grant Burns? He is 5'7 and quick as heck. Jack Bruns is going to be a senior at Roland-Story this year and is about 6'6/6'7 and one of the top 20 or so (Iowa) in the class of '08. Both are very good players but I wasn't sure which one is playing in the CCL.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Sean's shot was off in the first half, but he was lights out in the second. Most shots were from behind the arc. He hustles and is an intense player. He has a fairly quick release and can elevate on his jumper.

Brock played some. Still has the slow release set shot that will get blocked more often than not. He did make a few. I doubt he will see the court this year, but his girl friend is fairly good looking and nice.

Brackins would have been better off being on a team without Mike so he would get the ball some on the block. He did make a three or two and some nice post bank shots. He needs to put on 30 pounds and get some GMac coaching. I see him being real good in a year or two. He is a real good shot blocker, but doesn't hustle for rebounds. He gets them if they come right to him, but is easily moved out of the way. He must have good a lot of lob passes because he likes that swing in from the outside move.

Diante is a good ball handler, but will get a few early carry calls. He is a great finisher at the rim. Yeah, his attitude was a little poor at times, but He has a lot of potential. He can't weigh 150 soaking wet. Never looked to shoot outside.

Welsey is by far the best player there. Dunks, threes, blocks, he had a great game. He is silky smooth and looks like he has put on some muscle.

Thompson had shots rejected and didn't score much, but he did get a few boards. He played hard for the most part.

Jiri - sure likes to jack up the three and missed all but a couple. Whines at the refs a lot. Sounds like Jiri of last year.

Cory J looks huge out there. I see he is the second leading scorer behind Mike. He shots the ball well. I look for bigger things from him this year.

Didn't stay to see much of Lucca, but he looks like a man among boys. He has a knack for the game - shot well from out side, took it to the hoop and passed well. I agree that he looks like B12 material already.

Right now, I see the starters as Taylor, Staiger, Jiri, Clark and Diante at point. I think we could see a three guard offense early on. CJ, Brackins, Thompson, Sean and Brister off the bench.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PolkCityClone View Post
    who was the guy wearing the white CF shirt about 6 rows up behind the left bench?
    Me. I kept scouring the crowd looking for any CyFan shirt, but no one had one on.

(You should have come down to say hi!)

I was impressed by Lucca - he could be our point guard on offense next season. Was a little surprised by Diante... He doesn't "look" like a player (esp. with his duck-like walk) but the kid is good. Didn't seem like he was into it tonight though. Hopefully will be once the real season starts.

Another observation - and probably just because it's Cap City... no one shoots mid-range jumpers. It's either a 3 or a drive to the hoop.

Haluska was pretty solid tonight and I really enjoyed watching Taylor. That guy is SO athletic and quick. But, as we all know, he's quite undisciplined.

I agree that Thompson was pretty unimpressive and Jiri is still shooting too many 3's.

Brackins needs to muscle up and show some intensity. (But he's silky smooth and will be great before he leaves ISU).

Boozer seemed to start pretty well, but faded as the game went on. Seems to have a flair for the dramatic - always so "acrobatic" with his drives, etc.

Wesley looks like a man among boys out there (though not really impressive shooting tonight) He's just so smooth.

Walk-on Michael Smith hustled real well, but can't finish around the hoop to save his life.

Lastly, Corey J. was very solid tonight. Does appear quite a bit more comfortable with the game and stronger as well. I hope he can find his role with the team next season...

(Sorry this seemed to incoherent - rambled a bit)

...And for anyone who hasn't been to the games, you should really make an effort to go - lots of fun watching the future (and present) of ISU -- especially for free!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 116

Missed the first game but here are a couple of my impressions.

Haluska maybe had a little off-night but still plain outhustled most of them out there. His work ethic is awesome.
    Thompson played against Wesley and he still had some good play. Wesley played awesome and is definitely a year wiser under McDermott.

Staiger(or Steiger) is a man among boys. Nice shot, great hustle, but most impressive is his court vision. The guy can see the court and it will take his fellow players time to learn what he can do because he flat out made passes that were awesome but the passee never seen coming. Keeps his cool and played great. First time I seen him play and he impressed me to most tonight.

Hubalek was much better then what I remember last year. Even though he started to regress by the end of the game, he played the post position like he should and hustled and looked lean and mean for most of the game.

C Johnson looked leaner and meaner as well and will be overachiever as he moves along in his ISU career.

Will post more as thoughts come along but the big player for the night is Staiger(or Steiger). He's gonna be special.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Clark do anything tonight or just his usual? (Not hitting his jumper, but made some nice athletic plays)

Prospect
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Right now, I see the starters as Taylor, Staiger, Jiri, Clark and Diante at point. I think we could see a three guard offense early on. CJ, Brackins, Thompson, Sean and Brister off the bench.
    I think you somehow forgot WJ. I'd start him and move Staiger to the bench to take away Sean's minutes. Staiger can start during Taylor's suspension.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 116

I sat 2 rows behind Nedrick(I think) with CYST8T and think W Johson and Staiger are definite starters the way they played tonight with Haluska getting definite minutes and Hubalek much improved over last year. I didn't see the first game so know nothing from that. I think some of the comments about Thompson being less then impressive were due to the fact he mainly went up against W Johnson.

Last edited by Cyclonesrule91; 07-08-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I assume that you left Wesley out by mistake...