Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 13

Second half of the season

Here's the scenario I'm hanging on to, and will continue to hang onto unless a piece of it fails to materialize.

Thus far we've lost to two excellent teams, and a KSU team with one loss to an undefeated Nebraska squad that may just win the Big 12 on their way out. (Which I can live with as long as they're building another juggernaut just in time to square off against the Hawks every season.)

I'm hanging on to the hope that we beat KU on homecoming and CU on the road and head into the final game of the season 5-6. One game, at home, with a chance to earn a bowl berth. Mizzou is entering a 5-game stretch where they could conceivably go 0-5 or 1-4. Not exactly a confidence-building stretch of games before they come to Ames.

Mizzou may be looking for a bit of revenge after Iowa State stole the Insight Bowl bid from them last season, but I like the way things could potentially set up for that game.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 0

Re: Second half of the season

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    Here's the scenario I'm hanging on to, and will continue to hang onto unless a piece of it fails to materialize.

Thus far we've lost to two excellent teams, and a KSU team with one loss to an undefeated Nebraska squad that may just win the Big 12 on their way out. (Which I can live with as long as they're building another juggernaut just in time to square off against the Hawks every season.)

I'm hanging on to the hope that we beat KU on homecoming and CU on the road and head into the final game of the season 5-6. One game, at home, with a chance to earn a bowl berth. Mizzou is entering a 5-game stretch where they could conceivably go 0-5 or 1-4. Not exactly a confidence-building stretch of games before they come to Ames.

Mizzou may be looking for a bit of revenge after Iowa State stole the Insight Bowl bid from them last season, but I like the way things could potentially set up for that game.
    This is what I think although we may have a better shot at Texas than Mizzou. I just can't get a hold on how good Mizzou really is.

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 254

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post

I gotta agree. We've been blown out by some good teams, but barely lost to a pretty decent K-State, and beat a Tech team that is a hell of a lot better than Kansas. We'll be heavy favorites for Kansas and around even odds in Boulder. I think we'll be the underdogs when Missouri comes around, but that game is definitely winnable.

I think Texas is closer to K-State this year than the top teams. I don't think we have a good chance to win that game, but if we can hang with them and keep in it I'll feel a lot better about beating Missouri.

Legend
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 504
    Given: 346

That's what I hope too. Even if we have a "shock the world" win against OU/Tex/Neb we could easily lose @CU to still make Missouri a nail biter game to get to 6.

Beat KU, beat Colorado or one big upset, play for a bowl at home last game of the year. LET'S GO!

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    I just can't get a hold on how good Mizzou really is.
    We will definitely learn a lot about Mizzou over this 5-game stretch. We're going into 2 tough games that won't really tell us much (barring an upset). Take care of business against KU on homecoming, and see where the season takes us from there.

I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but there is a plausible scenario out there that still gives me a reason to hope. Besides, most of us had this pegged as a 4 or 5-win season anyway.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 68

We could get a good idea of Missouri's offense this weekend when they play A&M. The ability to truly evaluate their defense will depend on A&M's ability to not turn over the ball. Turnovers are a huge problem for A&M right now.

Rookie
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    I gotta agree. We've been blown out by some good teams, but barely lost to a pretty decent K-State, and beat a Tech team that is a hell of a lot better than Kansas. We'll be heavy favorites for Kansas and around even odds in Boulder. I think we'll be the underdogs when Missouri comes around, but that game is definitely winnable.

I think Texas is closer to K-State this year than the top teams. I don't think we have a good chance to win that game, but if we can hang with them and keep in it I'll feel a lot better about beating Missouri.
    It's still early to draw a ton of assumptions regarding most teams. One that I'm pretty confident in is that Kansas is flat terrible. I'm talking as bad as life in the '90s as a clone football fan terrible. Other than that, I'm struggling to make many predictions on the rest of the season. I pointed out on Saturday night that our games thus far haven't shown me much about us. Iowa and Utah are just too good. However, what were UNI and TTech? I think we beat UNI 9 of 10 even if they knew how to take care of the ball. However, the same can't be said for Tech. They're an average to slightly above average team this year going through a major transition. We were fortunate that they didn't come to play up here.

The KState game is the only one that gives me some confidence right now. That was a game that we didn't get all the breaks. It was a pretty even game that they did just enough to win (300 yds rushing is a little scary though). So with that being said, we have one win on the schedule left with KU that would be a huge upset to lose. CU is next. CU still doesn't know what they are. Are they the team that played Cal or the team that beat an average Georgia team. That game will make or break the season. We beat CU, I think we can beat Mizzou and head to a bowl. We lose to Cu, and we're looking at 4-8.

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 12

definitely enough to keep us entertained until the colorado game. We can lose to OU. Lose to Texas. ... We better beat KU... ... Lose to Nebraska ... And still be in decent shape to make a bowl game.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 14

K State sucks, they are not a good team. We played against them like a 7th grade team. Our offense was simply freaking awful in that game or we win by double digits. KSU is bad. But we have been beat by 2 really good teams, yes.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,832
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 2

ISU will get KU. I just can't see CPR losing that game considering he wins the games he's supposed to win. Colorado is still a huge question mark. They beat a bad Georgia team with great athletes, but got shut out by Mizzou. We'll know a lot more about CU in the next 2 weeks. They get Baylor and Tech at home. Unfortunately it looks like Hawkins will still be the head coach by the time ISU plays them.

Nebraska scares me. ISU gave up 300 rushing yards to KSU. What the heck is Martinez gonna do? 500 rushing yards?

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 254

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    It's still early to draw a ton of assumptions regarding most teams. One that I'm pretty confident in is that Kansas is flat terrible. I'm talking as bad as life in the '90s as a clone football fan terrible. Other than that, I'm struggling to make many predictions on the rest of the season.
    Well yeah, I don't disagree. Mizzu, Texas, and Colorado are all question marks. We won't know for a few more weeks into conference play where the teams really stack up (and not for sure until we play them). I predicted 5-7 give or take one game before the season started, and I think now I'll upgrade that to 5-7 or 6-6. I'm just updating my guesses for now. We'll all continue guessing every week. But for now I think Kansas and at least one of Mizzu, Texas, and Colorado will be a win. Hopefully two.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 64

Kansas and Colorado will be wins. Nebraska will not turn it over 8 times - they'll bulldoze us no problem, and might give the Utah score a run for its money. It will come down to Mizzou, final game of the season. Hopefully, I can score me a ticket to that one and watch ISU battle for a bowl!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    K State sucks, they are not a good team. We played against them like a 7th grade team. Our offense was simply freaking awful in that game or we win by double digits. KSU is bad. But we have been beat by 2 really good teams, yes.
    This...KState is not good.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 966
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    This...KState is not good.
    ISU and KSU are both average teams. As is CU.

KU is terrible. Which is no surprise since they finished 1-7 in the Big 12 last year and lost their 3 best players. Why anyone in the media thought they would be decent this year is beyond me. Gill is already being forced to circle the wagons only 6 games into his gig. The fans and media are jumping all over him.

NU is the best team in the North, but I think the KSU waxing was an anamoly. I don't think we can handle them, but I wouldn't expect a Utah beatdown.

Agree with others. Bowl game is still there on the table. KU is bad. CU is average. MU is better than ISU, but at home. NU is much better, but again at home. 4 chances to win 3, and three at home. Got to have faith.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 35

KSU did beat UCLA, a team that totally crushed Texas.