Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 17,986, Level: 40
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cysocool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    770
    Points
    17,986
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    I was listening to Jan Mickelson last week or so and he made a comment about how ISU's athletic department receives state funding which is true. He then made some comment about how the UofI doesn't take money to fund its department comparing the two.

    When President Gregory Geoffroy was making difficult budget decisions at ISU with cutbacks in state funding with across the board cuts and furloughs. The U of I was happy to take Fed stimulus money so they didn't have to do the same.

    Read this article and note how the university spun it. I love how the media digs us for the little in state funding our athletic department receives then completely ignores their friends in iowa city when they get paid.

    UI external support jumps 9 percent to record $466.5 million

    "The major up-tick in funding includes more than $40 million in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funding."

    "The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act provided an extraordinary opportunity for faculty to compete for higher risk research funding aimed at advancing health and science and helping stimulate the economic recovery. Our faculty competed very effectively for these funds, garnering 165 ARRA grants, including 11 prestigious NIH Challenge Grants," Cohen said.

    "We are fortunate to have strong faculty, staff and students pursuing external resources to generate knowledge and discoveries and improve employment in Iowa," Reighley said.


    Last edited by cysocool; 10-14-2010 at 12:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 135,503, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,275
    Points
    135,503
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 261

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    What is your point here? Iowa State gets lots of money from grants, including from the NIH, and I am sure that even if we didn't get any money from federal stimulus (And I would be very suprised if we didn't), we were surely applying for it.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 38,028, Level: 60
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    acrozier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In van down by the river!
    Posts
    2,595
    Points
    38,028
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    Iowa State got ARRA money. This is a stupid argument.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 24,083, Level: 47
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,496
    Points
    24,083
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    And ISU doesn't take any federal money for research grants?



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 355,810, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,895
    Points
    355,810
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 38

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    It's not a stupid arguement when fans claim the University to be self sufficient. We don't say we are because we aren't. They say they are but aren't. It is most certainly valid.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 135,503, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,275
    Points
    135,503
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 261

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyescott View Post
    And ISU doesn't take any federal money for research grants?
    If you think this is bad, wait until he figures out that University of Iowa students can get Federally backed student loans!



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 355,810, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,895
    Points
    355,810
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 38

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    Also, I would venture to say that we contribute more back to the economy of our state through research and things just because of what a lot of ISU does and what the state does.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    365
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyescott View Post
    And ISU doesn't take any federal money for research grants?
    The point is how funding has been spun in the media.



  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    365
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    If you think this is bad, wait until he figures out that University of Iowa students can get Federally backed student loans!
    and football players Section 8 housing!



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 24,083, Level: 47
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,496
    Points
    24,083
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    It's not a stupid arguement when fans claim the University to be self sufficient. We don't say we are because we aren't. They say they are but aren't. It is most certainly valid.
    They claim the athletic department to be self sufficient, which it is, I'm not sure I have heard anyone say the University is because for the University to be they would stop taking federal stimulus money for research and grants and that would be stupid.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 21,921, Level: 45
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 629
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    HawkFanISUalum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    789
    Points
    21,921
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    It's not a stupid arguement when fans claim the University to be self sufficient. We don't say we are because we aren't. They say they are but aren't. It is most certainly valid.
    Fans don't claim the University is self-sufficient. They claim that the Athletic Department is self-sufficient, which it is.



  12. #12
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    365
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyescott View Post
    They claim the athletic department to be self sufficient, which it is, I'm not sure I have heard anyone say the University is because for the University to be they would stop taking federal stimulus money for research and grants and that would be stupid.
    Not entirely true.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 135,503, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,275
    Points
    135,503
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 261

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHouston View Post
    The point is how funding has been spun in the media.
    If you want to complain about something like this, then complain about how all Iowa residents with cable subsidize Iowa athletics via the Big 10 network.

    Nobody has ever claimed that any university in the state is self supporting. They talk about the athletic departments. If you can't understand the difference then I hope you didn't actually graduate from Iowa State.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 25,940, Level: 49
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 610
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,417
    Points
    25,940
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    It's not a stupid arguement when fans claim the University to be self sufficient. We don't say we are because we aren't. They say they are but aren't. It is most certainly valid.
    The argument is that Iowa's ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is self sufficient.....and the link provided does nothing to disprove that.

    Federal research funding is given to ACADEMICS not ATHLETICS. Every school in the country gets a large number of research grants...and for good reason. The federal government realizes that universities make discoveries that advance civilization....that seems like a good thing to fund with our tax dollars...IMO.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 19,287, Level: 42
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    crash_zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tiffin, IA
    Posts
    1,625
    Points
    19,287
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

    Re: Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

    I think it is stupid/short sighted the way UofI fans/media spin the whole "ISU Athletic Dept. gets state money" bit. There are only a handful of colleges in the US that can claim that they don't use state money and actually pull a profit. Congrads, UofI, you are one of them (thanks to the B10 network). Do you want to see every other college in the US shut down that can't pay their own, or just ISU? Get over it already.

    Also, notice how they didn't start saying that Athletic Depts. should be off the state books until AFTER they were?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM