Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Solution to the Agent Problem

It's really pretty simple and something MLB actually does right. The player's association in the NFL and NBA needs to require all agents to be attorneys and active members of the Bar Association. Now, this will probably never happen since the agents basically run those unions, but one could hope... As it is now, any yayho off the street can be an 'agent' in a matter of days.

If you require agents to be attorneys you can add transparency to the whole process. In baseball, players have 'legal advisors' that guide players through the process and can stay with them for years before any money goes in either direction. The players often announce who will be advising them so everyone knows. If there were any evidence of anything going on another agent could easily report them to the bar, effectively ending that agent's career. The problem in the NBA and NFL is there is no governing body for the agents and they obviously won’t police themselves.

When it comes down to it, the NCAA can't possibly control the actions of these so called agents, they can't punish them. The players associations have to step in and do the right thing... Unfortunately, it probably wont ever happen...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 40

Re: Solution to the Agent Problem

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    It's really pretty simple and something MLB actually does right. The player's association in the NFL and NBA needs to require all agents to be attorneys and active members of the Bar Association. Now, this will probably never happen since the agents basically run those unions, but one could hope... As it is now, any yayho off the street can be an 'agent' in a matter of days.

If you require agents to be attorneys you can add transparency to the whole process. In baseball, players have 'legal advisors' that guide players through the process and can stay with them for years before any money goes in either direction. The players often announce who will be advising them so everyone knows. If there were any evidence of anything going on another agent could easily report them to the bar, effectively ending that agent's career. The problem in the NBA and NFL is there is no governing body for the agents and they obviously won’t police themselves.

When it comes down to it, the NCAA can't possibly control the actions of these so called agents, they can't punish them. The players associations have to step in and do the right thing... Unfortunately, it probably wont ever happen...
    There's a better chance of the NCAA compensating players. And that's never going to happen.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post

I agree that the MLB system would work best for both the NBA and NFL. It appears that the NCAA and NFL owners may attempt to strongarm the NFLPA to enforce stricter contact rules for agents. The best solution is to have NFLPA decertify agents if they break contact rules along with states jailing or fining agents if contact rules are broken.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79

Schools need to be the ones to make a difference. If a school gets a penalty from the NCAA for a player/agent issue, they need to go after the agent to the fullest extent of the law. For public universities, I would assume that the state could bring the suit if the school doesn't want to. If this happens a couple of times, then that should give agents enough deterrent to at least limit what they can do. Essentially, the NCAA needs to reward the good ones by allowing contact and let the schools punish the bad ones legally. Let's be honest, the issue here isn't that players are getting paid. The issue is that schools are the only ones that are facing the consequences long after the said player is gone.

This does, however, bring up an interesting solution to the player pay. What if the NCAA allowed the agents to pay players a small amount, say $500/month. I know that not every NCAA player would get money, but if the NCAA is even thinking about compensating players why not let the agents come up with that money? A lot of my issues with player pay is that it will cause a burden on schools and cause a bigger difference between the big and small schools. If you can find a way to regulate agents paying players, then you can solve both problems.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

i agree with homer on that one. if the schools and/or agents are held reliable for their actions, they would either have to get more creative in how they do it or stop doing it all together. to place all the blame on the students makes no sense at all. if someone agreed to give you thousands of dollars and free stuff you would be an idiot not to take. i realize they are in college and should know better, but they are still only 18-22 year olds who still need to grow up. the agents should be the mature ones and follow the rules.

of course this will never happen but we can always hope

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    Schools need to be the ones to make a difference. If a school gets a penalty from the NCAA for a player/agent issue, they need to go after the agent to the fullest extent of the law.
    What laws are being broken? Are there actually federal or state laws stating that an agent can't pay money to a college player?

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeh8r View Post
    i agree with homer on that one. if the schools and/or agents are held reliable for their actions, they would either have to get more creative in how they do it or stop doing it all together. to place all the blame on the students makes no sense at all. if someone agreed to give you thousands of dollars and free stuff you would be an idiot not to take. i realize they are in college and should know better, but they are still only 18-22 year olds who still need to grow up. the agents should be the mature ones and follow the rules.

of course this will never happen but we can always hope
    Why should the agents worry about the NCAA eligibility rules? Most of these guys getting paid are legit NFL talents, they are going to be drafted whether they're suspended for a couple games or not. If payng the kid a couple grand now costs him a couple games but gives the agent a big time star under contract for the next several years, it seems like a good business decision for the agent.

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Lou Holtz actually had a good idea for once on Mike & Mike this morning. Any agent that gives a NCAA player money or benefits is banned from ever being an agent again. I think this might actually cut down on some of the illegal benefits actually if these guys livlihood would be at risk if they are caught.

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    Lou Holtz actually had a good idea for once on Mike & Mike this morning. Any agent that gives a NCAA player money or benefits is banned from ever being an agent again. I think this might actually cut down on some of the illegal benefits actually if these guys livlihood would be at risk if they are caught.
    Banned by who? It's not the NFL or NBA's job to worry about NCAA rules. Agents aren't breaking any laws when they pay players, the players are just violating NCAA rules.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 531
    Given: 276

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    What laws are being broken? Are there actually federal or state laws stating that an agent can't pay money to a college player?
    Yep, I am not certain any drastic measures need to be taken. Sorry, but it seems like a victimless crime, and frankly no big deal to me.

Players have their hands out, agents give them money. Not sure who is actually hurt by this transaction. Some college players get some spending cash, and an agent has a little less cash and an in with a future client. This is a pretty victimless crime.

You could argue that the NCAA is hurt by this (and it probably is)... but the NCAA and its member institutions have proven long ago that revenue producing college sports are all about generating money (just look at the conference shakeups and TV deals if you don't believe me). Nick Saban may complain about it but he is as big of a dirt ball as any agent or any player who accepts money.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181

Thats what I am saying. If each agent is required to be a member of the bar then this will happen. But, the players association has to make that change and the PA in both the NBA and NFL is run by the agents, so this wont happen.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Banned by who? It's not the NFL or NBA's job to worry about NCAA rules. Agents aren't breaking any laws when they pay players, the players are just violating NCAA rules.
    I see it as more of a "joint effort" kind of thing. The NFL and NBA both have age restrictions so in the best interests of these kids if you make a hard stance on agents by making the consequence of illegally paying a player a ban on them being able to represent a professional athlete in their league I think it would be effective.

I know the NFL and NBA don't have anything to lose when a college kid takes money but as a college sports fan wouldn't you be glad to see a professional sports association willing to be proactive on a problem like this and work along side with the NCAA to crack down on it? The schools wind up the biggest losers when this happens while the players, agents, even coaches all pretty much come out unharmed because in the end they got what they wanted while the schools get hit with the penalties and sanctions over an individual's wrong action.

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 371
    Given: 703

I don't really agree with the original poster, mainly because why should they just be limited to Attorneys? Why can't a CPA or a Certified Financial Advisor be an agent?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I see it as more of a "joint effort" kind of thing. The NFL and NBA both have age restrictions so in the best interests of these kids if you make a hard stance on agents by making the consequence of illegally paying a player a ban on them being able to represent a professional athlete in their league I think it would be effective.

I know the NFL and NBA don't have anything to lose when a college kid takes money but as a college sports fan wouldn't you be glad to see a professional sports association willing to be proactive on a problem like this and work along side with the NCAA to crack down on it? The schools wind up the biggest losers when this happens while the players, agents, even coaches all pretty much come out unharmed because in the end they got what they wanted while the schools get hit with the penalties and sanctions over an individual's wrong action.
    I would love for them to work with the NCAA to get something set up but it's not going to happen. Just like the age limit rule, everything they do is in the best interest of their own league.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It could add transparency, sure, but it would require several governing bodies, and I'm sure even then people would find a way around it.

As for player compensation, I think it was Brewster who recently mentioned stipends for players as a solution? Pretty much buy them off before the agents can, and reduce the temptation. But my counterargument to that is that no matter how little a school/the NCAA gives them, there will always be somebody else willing to pay more to land really good athletes.