Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 77

James Capello - his arm on video

Lately, there have been a couple or three threads here about the looming 2011 quarterback battle. I have read that JC's arm is reputedly the most accurate of any ISU quarterback (Herman statement, iirc, but maybe CPR).

Here's a video of JC's high school senior year highlights:
    James Capello 2008 Highlights on Vimeo

Lots of running early on, but the second half of the video shows off his arm. Several sideline throws, hurried throws, downfield throws. I particularly was impressed with his passes while on the run. Rivals lists him at 4.7. He seems to have a very nice instinct for pressure and moving to get away from it.

IIRC, JC was Pennsylvania's first team all-state QB in the big school division. Rivals lists him with offers from ISU, Central Michigan, and Bowling Green. His height (6-0 per Rivals) might have been a limiting factor in his recruitment opportunities.

In this preseason, CPR said JC came here in the fall of 2009 a bit pudgy and out of shape but since then has been a sort of weightlifting maniac and has undergone a dramatic physical change. I'd love to see practice highlights of his game today.

I'd like to know what others here, particularly coaches who have first-hand experience with player evaluation, think of JC's game. If you will.

Thanks.

(To JC's parents: Love to see you here at CF. Hope you don't mind too much an open discussion about your son's football abilities. I've been a fan of James's since seeing his highlights film during his recruitment in winter 2009.)

Last edited by CyValley; 10-13-2010 at 01:32 PM.
    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Recruit
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: James Capello - his arm on video

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    Lately, there have been a couple or three threads here about the looming 2011 quarterback battle. I have read that JC's arm is reputedly the most accurate of any ISU quarterback (Herman statement, iirc, but maybe CPR).

Here's a video of JC's high school senior year highlights:
    James Capello 2008 Highlights on Vimeo

Lots of running early on, but the second half of the video shows off his arm. Several sideline throws, hurried throws, downfield throws. I particularly was impressed with his passes while on the run. Rivals lists him at 4.7. He seems to have a very nice instinct for pressure and moving to get away from it.

IIRC, JC was Pennsylvania's first team all-state QB in the big school division. Rivals lists him with offers from ISU, Central Michigan, and Bowling Green. His height (6-0 per Rivals) might have been a limiting factor in his recruitment opportunities.

In this preseason, CPR said JC came here in the fall of 2009 a bit pudgy and out of shape but since then has been a sort of weightlifting maniac and has undergone a dramatic physical change. I'd love to see practice highlights of his game today.

I'd like to know what others here, particularly coaches who have first-hand experience with player evaluation, think of JC's game. If you will.

Thanks.

(To JC's parents: Love to see you here at CF. Hope you don't mind too much an open discussion about your son's football abilities. I've been a fan of James's since seeing his highlights film during his recruitment in winter 2009.)

We don't mind at all just part of the game and when your son is a q/b you better have broad shoulders. I think ISU fans will be pleased when and if James gets his chance. His escapeability in high school was something to see, and he felt pressure in the pocket very well. After seeing other q/bs in this league i know james can play in the big 12,but that of course is coming from a parent. Go Cyclones

Thumbs Up

I'm didnt watch his Highschool video just because it's highschool and not college. But I am excited to see him play at ISU. I liked what I saw when he faked that handoff for his first TD at ISU!

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Capello View Post
    We don't mind at all just part of the game and when your son is a q/b you better have broad shoulders. I think ISU fans will be pleased when and if James gets his chance. His escapeability in high school was something to see, and he felt pressure in the pocket very well. After seeing other q/bs in this league i know james can play in the big 12,but that of course is coming from a parent. Go Cyclones
    Strong arm for a high schooler. Reminds me of Chase Daniel (little under sized, but can throw a nice ball).

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 145

It looks like he's used to playing behind a line that gives NO pass protection. Heck, that TD run the other night looks like something he was very accustomed to doing in high school. I wondered about mechanics since he was always rolling out and throwing from his back foot, but when he was able to step into it, the release seemed fast and his accuracy was not a question mark.

Here are comments from Cyclones.com:
    James Capello will also test his wares this spring after a prep career in which he threw for 2,963 yards 31 touchdowns in Lebanon, Pa. en route to Pennsylvania Class AAA Player-of-the Year honors in 2008.
    “James Capello goes into the spring as our most accurate thrower,” Rhoads said. “That is a pretty important trait when it comes to the quarterback position. He will have the opportunity to perform in 15 practices and prove whether he deserves attention for playing time or not. He provides your third running style. He isn't large, he is shorter, and he has changed his body since he arrived. He runs the football, gains 12 yards and moves the sticks. In the end production is what matters.”

Final stats I just found for his 2008 senior season:
    220/326 Comp/Attempts (61.4%)
    2897 yards passing (13.2 yards per pass)
    31/9 TDs/INTs
    8 TDs rushing
    792 yards rushing
    1 INT for TD

Led his team to the FIRST ever playoff birth according to the article. http://blogs.lancasteronline.com/jef...tar-team-2008/

Last edited by stateofmind; 10-13-2010 at 03:12 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ha that right guard his HUGE and slow! But he dwarfs everyone out there!!

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

I was surprised by the number of times he was either running or throwing on the run in his highlight video. He may not have played behind the best offensive line in high school.

I know Yancy spoke very highly of Jame's transformation during the off season conditioning. He does seem to have a bit of moxie in his highlight video. I hope he continues to push himself in practice without getting discouraged.

You never know when your opportunity will come. If he keeps pushing he will earn that opportunity to prove himself on the field.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Looks very impressive, but I know there are a lot of things that are different in the Big XII vs. high school. Many of these WR's he hits have no one even around them and leave a huge window for where you can place the ball. Then there are basic mechanics on planting your feet in getting behind your throws and things that seem like they are lacking. Of course I know nothing about QB play other then what I watch, but I believe our coaching staff will take these basic skills and tune them to where we need him to be.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 17

from what i've seen, james> tiller > richardson > barnett

IMO
    I love the fact that he's our most accurate passer. that. is. huge.

i'd like to know a few things about capello:

who recruited him? Was it Chiz or CPR? Who specifically?
    i'd really like to know how fast he is. Like really know. Not some 40 time. :)
    ... His speed on his video looks great.

And to the poster who said, yea its just against HS competition.... You may be right, but the coaches know that. They have to evaluate him as a player. His decision making. His speed. His accuracy and consistency. His foot work and ball handling skills and pure athletic ability and leadership qualities. THOSE things stand through whoever he's playing against.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

stats... ie: "man he played great, he had 300 yards!" That means very little.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 29

I didn't realize he was as mobile as his video indicates. He does throw the ball on the move fairly well. I did not see a three step drop and throw the a wideout, which AA throws about every game. In the video JC threw several balls to the middle of the field, between LB's and DLmen, which attests his accuracy (at the HS level). Someone else commented that his Oline did not appear to protect real well, that's what I saw as well, yet he still found receivers at all places of the field to deliver the ball to.

There's a noticeable difference between the HS game speed and the college game. The question is, under pressure, how does he make decisions. He will definitely add competition at the QB position next year, which is crucial to the team's success.

"I think that people are responding to someone standing up and saying this is what we want to do and let's not be afraid to go for it,'' Pollard said. "I think Iowa State has a very conservative, modest background. We never pound our chest and say `Let's do it.' It's OK to set a goal. You can't do it if you don't say what you want to do. You should be proud of it.''

Jamie Pollard, 6/2/2006

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

if you buy time in the pocket as long as he did... receivers will eventually get wide open... so don't knock him for that, give him props!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 41

I caught a glimpse of #76 on the O-Line. It appears we missed out on him. He signed with Pitt.

Arthur Doakes Iii Football Profile - Lebanon High School 09-10 - MaxPreps

He's only 6'6 and weighs 363 lbs.

"The difference between keeping what you have all to yourself and coveting what someone else has lies within your willingness to give versus your desire to take"

- temperflare

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Not often do I enjoy hs footage like I did there. His accuracy is very impressive.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    if you buy time in the pocket as long as he did... receivers will eventually get wide open... so don't knock him for that, give him props!
    I think part of the lack of separation by our receivers is due to our offense and AA. Timing/anticipation, looking off the DBs, and routes create separation as much as athletic ability. When you are staring at a WR and waiting for them to get open on the same 10 yard curl route over and over again, the DB will be there over and over again.