Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 72
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 170,347, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    6,966
    Points
    170,347
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 15

    Quarterback in 2011

    Am I the only one here who literally has no clue who our starting QB will be next season? I think 3 guys each have legit shots at being the man.

    Tiller - Best athlete of the 3 potentials, good size, big arm, doesn't turn the ball over, most game experience. Horribly inaccurate on short and intermediate routes.

    Capello - Best accuracy on the team, decent athlete, made great strides in the weight room. Still unknown how his game translates to the big 12

    Barnett - Seneca like game, but still unknown. Probably the biggest upside, but no experience. Arm is not ready for the Big 12 yet.


    Any thoughts?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 82,274, Level: 89
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYVADER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    5,215
    Points
    82,274
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    tiller-does turn the ball over, just not against uni and nebbie. i hope if he doesn't improve drastically that it is not him. if he does improve drastically, then it is what it is.

    capello-we have yet to see him throw a pass-how do we know he has the best accuracy other then the fact that you could probably say that about me at this point?

    barnett-seneca like game? really? if so then why the hell is he redshirting?! get him in there now!!!



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 58,093, Level: 74
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    djcubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    2,800
    Points
    58,093
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 9

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Am I the only one here who literally has no clue who our starting QB will be next season? I think 3 guys each have legit shots at being the man.

    Tiller - Best athlete of the 3 potentials, good size, big arm, doesn't turn the ball over, most game experience. Horribly inaccurate on short and intermediate routes.

    Capello - Best accuracy on the team, decent athlete, made great strides in the weight room. Still unknown how his game translates to the big 12

    Barnett - Seneca like game, but still unknown. Probably the biggest upside, but no experience. Arm is not ready for the Big 12 yet.


    Any thoughts?
    Tiller obviously has the edge in experience, but I wouldn't count out Barnett. I thought I read somewhere that he was the guy that Herman wanted and was really accurate.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 122,703, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,322
    Points
    122,703
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Am I the only one here who literally has no clue who our starting QB will be next season? I think 3 guys each have legit shots at being the man.

    Tiller - Best athlete of the 3 potentials, good size, big arm, doesn't turn the ball over, most game experience. Horribly inaccurate on short and intermediate routes.

    Capello - Best accuracy on the team, decent athlete, made great strides in the weight room. Still unknown how his game translates to the big 12

    Barnett - Seneca like game, but still unknown. Probably the biggest upside, but no experience. Arm is not ready for the Big 12 yet.


    Any thoughts?
    Tiller will be a WR or transfer, IMO. Job comes down to Barnett and Capello. I think Capello has a better arm but why the hell didn't the kid throw when he was in there on Saturday?



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 475,798, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    18,676
    Points
    475,798
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 6

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    If Capello is more accurate, and can read the defense, you gotta look at him. I've heard Barnett just isn't quite ready yet (doesn't mean he won't be legit down the road), but Tiller has worse accuracy/touch than Arnaud.

    If Tiller was really interested in helping the team, and getting to the next level, he'd look into playing WR. No reason he couldn't do the Kerry Meier thing and be both a QB and WR.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 59,699, Level: 75
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    DRCHIRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    2,204
    Points
    59,699
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    If Capello is more accurate, and can read the defense, you gotta look at him. I've heard Barnett just isn't quite ready yet (doesn't mean he won't be legit down the road), but Tiller has worse accuracy/touch than Arnaud.

    If Tiller was really interested in helping the team, and getting to the next level, he'd look into playing WR. No reason he couldn't do the Kerry Meier thing and be both a QB and WR.
    Agree,

    I'm just not sold on Tiller and hope one of the two other guys gives the staff a reason to move him to another position.

    We don't need a burner back there in this offense, just someone who makes good decisions and is accurate in the short and intermediate passing game.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 475,798, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    18,676
    Points
    475,798
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 6

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by DRCHIRO View Post
    Agree,

    I'm just not sold on Tiller and hope one of the two other guys gives the staff a reason to move him to another position.

    We don't need a burner back there in this offense, just someone who makes good decisions and is accurate in the short and intermediate passing game.
    Some running ability is required, I'd think though. Hard to do the zone read w/Drew Bledsoe.

    I agree that we need a guy who is a better passer than runner, but some running ability is required in this offense.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 170,347, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    6,966
    Points
    170,347
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 15

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    tiller-does turn the ball over, just not against uni and nebbie. i hope if he doesn't improve drastically that it is not him. if he does improve drastically, then it is what it is.

    capello-we have yet to see him throw a pass-how do we know he has the best accuracy other then the fact that you could probably say that about me at this point?

    barnett-seneca like game? really? if so then why the hell is he redshirting?! get him in there now!!!
    The coaches have said Capello is the most accurate thrower, and I never said Barnett was as good as Seneca, just that he plays a similar style. Tiller has been very good with ball security.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 62,260, Level: 77
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 990
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    azn4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    DSM
    Posts
    3,089
    Points
    62,260
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Some running ability is required, I'd think though. Hard to do the zone read w/Drew Bledsoe.

    I agree that we need a guy who is a better passer than runner, but some running ability is required in this offense.
    Drew Bledsoe is the prototype Wildcat operator.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 170,347, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    6,966
    Points
    170,347
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 15

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Some running ability is required, I'd think though. Hard to do the zone read w/Drew Bledsoe.

    I agree that we need a guy who is a better passer than runner, but some running ability is required in this offense.
    I really think that Herman runs the zone read simply to utilize Arnaud's running ability more. I rewatched some of Rice's last bowl game under Herman, I don't recall their QB running the ball at all. This offense needs Todd Reesing to be successful, not Tim Tebow.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,007, Level: 80
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    d4nim4l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    4,780
    Points
    67,007
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    Herman will run the zone read based strictly on what he has.

    Which is also one reason our offense has stumbled this year. Once Austen hurt his shoulder the zone read all but disappeared until a few appearances against Utah.



    Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 59,699, Level: 75
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    DRCHIRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    2,204
    Points
    59,699
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Some running ability is required, I'd think though. Hard to do the zone read w/Drew Bledsoe.

    I agree that we need a guy who is a better passer than runner, but some running ability is required in this offense.
    Yup, I think people fall in love with Tiller because he is the most athletic one. Capello may not be as fast, but I think will be serviceable running the zone read.

    Having a accurate QB can allow you to use the pass to set up the run rather than vice versa.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,716, Level: 90
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,695
    Points
    84,716
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    I really think that Herman runs the zone read simply to utilize Arnaud's running ability more. I rewatched some of Rice's last bowl game under Herman, I don't recall their QB running the ball at all. This offense needs Todd Reesing to be successful, not Tim Tebow.
    Rhoads has said we need a QB that can run for our offense to work. We don't have a QB on the team that can't run the ball if that is what the defense is giving him, including Capello. Thing about Reesing was he was enough of a threat to run that it kept teams honest.


    "Not at the table Carlos."

  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 52,974, Level: 71
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,076
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,177
    Points
    52,974
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 6

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    I don't know as that we can throw Tiller out of the running at QB because of his UNI game. I know CPR said after the game that he was disappointed in Tiller's throwing and that he is a much better passer than he showed in that game. He may have been too hyped up because he was starting the game.

    I would like to see Tiller and Capello get some playing time in the next two weeks, because I think both these games are going to get out of hand pretty quickly.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 475,798, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    18,676
    Points
    475,798
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 6

    Re: Quarterback in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    I really think that Herman runs the zone read simply to utilize Arnaud's running ability more. I rewatched some of Rice's last bowl game under Herman, I don't recall their QB running the ball at all. This offense needs Todd Reesing to be successful, not Tim Tebow.
    I thought Rice's QB had at least 500 rush yards?

    Todd Reesing could scoot, too. We don't need Tim Tebow or Taylor Martinez, we just need someone mobile enough to keep the defense honest.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM