Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 517
    Given: 147

Cyclone Wrestling: Media Day Notebook

Here's a great report on wrestling media day from our Ian Smith. Enjoy.

Iowa State Wrestling: Media day notebook | Cyclone Fanatic

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Re: Cyclone Wrestling: Media Day Notebook

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Here's a great report on wrestling media day from our Ian Smith. Enjoy.

Iowa State Wrestling: Media day notebook | Cyclone Fanatic

Small nitpick - Spangler is not the returning starter at 165. Reader wrested 165 last year. Spangler was a backup at 65/74 and Sorenson was the starter at 57.

And while I hope I am completely wrong....man that lineup looks weak.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thanks, SouthJersey - got it cleared up.

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/IanWsmith3

Walk On
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well i think you are a little wrong....

125 - will be serviceable w/ Hunter, and i have read that KJ said if Ryak wins midlands he will be the 125 (a long shot but could happen)....
    133 - This will be a weak weight class....
    141 - This is very solid and KJ thinks Drouin will contend for a National championship.
    149 - I think CArr could be very good here as long as his weight is under control, this weight class clears out a lot from last year and we've never really seen a healthy Carr.
    157 - Weatherman - I think he could contend for AA honors..
    165 - Spangler or Sorenson will probably contened for AA honors although 165 is pretty loaded.
    174 - Reader will contend for a National championship.
    184 - Lots of options and you heard KJ say that Gadsen is the most athletic guy in the room, Riley's no slouch and Schafer is decent.
    197- WArd or Hawes - Ward should contend for AA honors so if Hawes beats him its probably a good thing.
    HWT - 2 good options in Gibson and Simonson, Simonson went like 20-6 last year and hung w/ some top 197lber's, and Gibson whopped up on Thompson either last year or the year before at the cyclone open or kauffman open....

Overall we have a lot of question marks but we certainly have the talent in the room. The only real weak spot we have is 133....

Rookie
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by crooksie_26 View Post
    Well i think you are a little wrong....

125 - will be serviceable w/ Hunter, and i have read that KJ said if Ryak wins midlands he will be the 125 (a long shot but could happen)....
    133 - This will be a weak weight class....
    141 - This is very solid and KJ thinks Drouin will contend for a National championship.
    149 - I think CArr could be very good here as long as his weight is under control, this weight class clears out a lot from last year and we've never really seen a healthy Carr.
    157 - Weatherman - I think he could contend for AA honors..
    165 - Spangler or Sorenson will probably contened for AA honors although 165 is pretty loaded.
    174 - Reader will contend for a National championship.
    184 - Lots of options and you heard KJ say that Gadsen is the most athletic guy in the room, Riley's no slouch and Schafer is decent.
    197- WArd or Hawes - Ward should contend for AA honors so if Hawes beats him its probably a good thing.
    HWT - 2 good options in Gibson and Simonson, Simonson went like 20-6 last year and hung w/ some top 197lber's, and Gibson whopped up on Thompson either last year or the year before at the cyclone open or kauffman open....

Overall we have a lot of question marks but we certainly have the talent in the room. The only real weak spot we have is 133....
    Lets hope you are right

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Unfortunately I think you laid out the absolute best case and most optimistic scenario, crooksie_26. You have to remember KJ's job is to stay positive and like most coaches he blows a lot of smoke. This is not a strong lineup, but we are rebuilding and you will have that sometimes. I see 2-4 AAs with a couple being low AAs. We'll be better 1-2 years down the road so I'm comfortable with this season being a rebuilding year.

And, as a caveat, our coaching staff hasn't proven much of anything at this point. The jury is still very much out.

My take:
    125: Hunter got manhandled by Iowa's 3rd or 4th stringer last year. I'm glad we have him, and he's the best we have, but I don't see him as a potential AA. The RS needs to STAY on Finch. He's not going to win the Midlands unless something unforseen happens with Mcdonough and really a bunch of other good kids.
    133: Rough
    141: Druin wasn't even an AA last year. He could this year. He also may not.
    149: Carr sucked serious wind at 157 last season. I will be impressed if he can hang at a lower weight and even then I don't see him making much noise at the NCAAs. Maybe he will surprise.
    157: This is a tough weight. I think Weatherman needs a year to grow into this weight strength-wise. Again he could surprise.
    165: Another loaded weight and again Sorenson couldn't AA at 157 last year.
    174: Reader wasn't even an AA last year and now he is moving up a weight. He's got a lot to prove on the college mat, IMHO. The talent is definitely there and I do see him as an AA at least.
    184: This will be another weak weight for us. Gadsen might be athletic but he has a long way to go before he can compete at a high level in college. We should keep the RS on him unless there is an injury. Schafer, I do not see doing much at the NCAAs.
    197: I think Ward will do well here, about like he did at 184. I don't think he has the offense to be at the top of the podium and he has yet to AA but he has a good chance.
    HWT: Either guy will be solid but again not expecting much at the NCAAs.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 282

Since Reader will be making 163 for the World University champs, why is he bumping up to 174 for the season? Is there a difference in weight cutting rules?

Just wondering because I have to think that cut could come back to haunt him in terms of strength against guys that are cutting hard to make 174.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by SPOONER View Post
    Unfortunately I think you laid out the absolute best case and most optimistic scenario, crooksie_26. You have to remember KJ's job is to stay positive and like most coaches he blows a lot of smoke. This is not a strong lineup, but we are rebuilding and you will have that sometimes. I see 2-4 AAs with a couple being low AAs. We'll be better 1-2 years down the road so I'm comfortable with this season being a rebuilding year.

And, as a caveat, our coaching staff hasn't proven much of anything at this point. The jury is still very much out.

My take:
    125: Hunter got manhandled by Iowa's 3rd or 4th stringer last year. I'm glad we have him, and he's the best we have, but I don't see him as a potential AA. The RS needs to STAY on Finch. He's not going to win the Midlands unless something unforseen happens with Mcdonough and really a bunch of other good kids.
    133: Rough
    141: Druin wasn't even an AA last year. He could this year. He also may not.
    149: Carr sucked serious wind at 157 last season. I will be impressed if he can hang at a lower weight and even then I don't see him making much noise at the NCAAs. Maybe he will surprise.
    157: This is a tough weight. I think Weatherman needs a year to grow into this weight strength-wise. Again he could surprise.
    165: Another loaded weight and again Sorenson couldn't AA at 157 last year.
    174: Reader wasn't even an AA last year and now he is moving up a weight. He's got a lot to prove on the college mat, IMHO. The talent is definitely there and I do see him as an AA at least.
    184: This will be another weak weight for us. Gadsen might be athletic but he has a long way to go before he can compete at a high level in college. We should keep the RS on him unless there is an injury. Schafer, I do not see doing much at the NCAAs.
    197: I think Ward will do well here, about like he did at 184. I don't think he has the offense to be at the top of the podium and he has yet to AA but he has a good chance.
    HWT: Either guy will be solid but again not expecting much at the NCAAs.

You should at least mention that what you have laid out is the absolute worst case scenario.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 922
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Since Reader will be making 163 for the World University champs, why is he bumping up to 174 for the season? Is there a difference in weight cutting rules?

Just wondering because I have to think that cut could come back to haunt him in terms of strength against guys that are cutting hard to make 174.
    It mostly has to do with the fact that 165 is probably going to be the toughest weight in the country this year, with Howe returning as national champ, and Burroughs from Nebraska bumping up. Reader was never a big 65 pounder, but they feel he has a better chance of winning it all at 174 than he does at 165. I'm hopeful that he's lifted his way into the new weight class, but his international future is definitely at 163.5. I wish he wasn't cutting down immediately before the season starts, but hopefully they've got a plan to handle it.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFine View Post
    You should at least mention that what you have laid out is the absolute worst case scenario.
    I don't know about absolute worst, but it is a more grim scenario, that's for sure. The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle, and that's not a real good thing for ISU wrestling, unfortuantely.