Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

National Championship predictions

Who do you think will be in the national championship game? Every year people come up with "doomsday" BCS scenarios, but this is the first year I think we might actually see one occur.

I don't see anybody coming out of the SEC with less than two losses. The power is concentrated in the West and all those teams have yet to play each other with the exception of Alabama and Arkansas.

Oregon will lose at least one game. Their defense has had problems at times this year, and they have trouble keeping QBs healthy.

I don't buy that Nebraska and Oklahoma will run the table. The Sooners still have some difficult road games ahead. Nebraska has looked good, but eventually Taylor Martinez is going to have a bad game. He is only a redshirt freshman.

Ohio State is probably the most likely BCS conference team to run the table, but I still think they'll lose to somebody, maybe even at Wisconsin.

That leaves two undefeated teams. One will be Boise State. All the losses of teams in the top five will put the Broncos at #1 by the end of the year. Their computer rankings will be helped by the fact that Oregon State and Virginia Tech will finish in the top three of their conferences. Beating Nevada will also be a nice boost.

The other undefeated team will be Utah in my opinion. The Utes should get by a good Air Force team before a huge home game against TCU. With it being at home, I think Utah will win and move up into the top five. Luckily for the Utes, they have a nice national exposure game the following week at Notre Dame, who may not be great, but beating them still gets people's attention.

There will be legitimate reasons to believe that Boise State and Utah are the two best teams in the country, but ESPN has the BCS this year and they won't let both of them make it to the national title game. Remember, ESPN is the #1 source of information for the voters. They'll concede that one of them should play for the national championship, but will play up one and downplay the other.

Boise State is the team they will choose. Three of their last four games are already scheduled to be on ESPN, including a Friday night after Thanksgiving game against a Nevada team that has a decent chance at being undefeated and in the top 15. Utah, on the other hand, plays all of their games for the rest of the year on the MTN and CBS College Sports, with the exception of the Notre Dame game on NBC.

The national championship game will be 12-0 Boise State vs. 11-1 Ohio State. Undefeated Utah will be left out unfairly.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that's how I see it.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 4

Re: National Championship predictions

You could see the polling segment of the BCS rankings purposely try to keep a non-AQ out (especially the Coach's Poll) if things get really hairy.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    Who do you think will be in the national championship game? Every year people come up with "doomsday" BCS scenarios, but this is the first year I think we might actually see one occur.

I don't see anybody coming out of the SEC with less than two losses. The power is concentrated in the West and all those teams have yet to play each other with the exception of Alabama and Arkansas.

Oregon will lose at least one game. Their defense has had problems at times this year, and they have trouble keeping QBs healthy.

I don't buy that Nebraska and Oklahoma will run the table. The Sooners still have some difficult road games ahead. Nebraska has looked good, but eventually Taylor Martinez is going to have a bad game. He is only a redshirt freshman.

Ohio State is probably the most likely BCS conference team to run the table, but I still think they'll lose to somebody, maybe even at Wisconsin.

That leaves two undefeated teams. One will be Boise State. All the losses of teams in the top five will put the Broncos at #1 by the end of the year. Their computer rankings will be helped by the fact that Oregon State and Virginia Tech will finish in the top three of their conferences. Beating Nevada will also be a nice boost.

The other undefeated team will be Utah in my opinion. The Utes should get by a good Air Force team before a huge home game against TCU. With it being at home, I think Utah will win and move up into the top five. Luckily for the Utes, they have a nice national exposure game the following week at Notre Dame, who may not be great, but beating them still gets people's attention.

There will be legitimate reasons to believe that Boise State and Utah are the two best teams in the country, but ESPN has the BCS this year and they won't let both of them make it to the national title game. Remember, ESPN is the #1 source of information for the voters. They'll concede that one of them should play for the national championship, but will play up one and downplay the other.

Boise State is the team they will choose. Three of their last four games are already scheduled to be on ESPN, including a Friday night after Thanksgiving game against a Nevada team that has a decent chance at being undefeated and in the top 15. Utah, on the other hand, plays all of their games for the rest of the year on the MTN and CBS College Sports, with the exception of the Notre Dame game on NBC.

The national championship game will be 12-0 Boise State vs. 11-1 Ohio State. Undefeated Utah will be left out unfairly.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that's how I see it.
    ESPN has no direct say in who gets to play in the BCS championship game - the computers do. If a 12-0 Boise State and a 12-0 TCU/Utah are 1-2 in the polls, then 2 of those 3 teams will be playing for the national championship, whether ESPN likes it or not.

As far as whether ESPN will "let" this happen, I think there are much stronger influences preventing the scenario from happening than ESPN, including the BCS conferences and corporations that are afraid their sponsorship money would be wasted on a Boise St-Utah/TCU game. In fact, if ESPN is truly interested in keeping the BCS going, it might behoove them to encourage the "non-BCS" Championship game, as the argument that "a non-BCS school cannot possibly win a BCS Championship in the current setup" would be gone forever.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 175

Nebraska vs Oregon

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,396
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 5

Nebraska v. LSU

Thumbs Up

Oklahoma vs. Oregon

"I am so proud... I am so proud to be your football coach!" -- Paul Rhoads

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I'm going to say Boise v. Nebraska. God I hope I'm wrong.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 240

There will multiple one loss teams: tOSU, Oregon, Bama, Auburn (to Bama, so can't win SEC), Neb, Okie.
    That said it will be tOSU and Bama.
    Rose: Oregon v Wisc
    Fiesta: BSU and TCU rematch
    Orange: VT v Okie
    Sugar: Auburn v WVU

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

I like Boise vs Oregon.

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,577
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 729

Oregon vs. LSU

Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 11

Ohio State/ Oklahoma

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 175

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    There will multiple one loss teams: tOSU, Oregon, Bama, Auburn (to Bama, so can't win SEC), Neb, Okie.
    The BCS games would be considered a joke by me if they made Boise play TCU again. I cannot fathom that happening two years in a row. Who ever they play, they will beat. They are into proving things.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    1) Wisconsin isn't going to the Rose Bowl

2) If OSU is in the NC game there is a new clause (goes through 2013) this year that if the Rose Bowl loses the Big Ten or PAC 10 champ to the NC then they MUST take a non AQ school that is ranked in the top 8 of the final BCS standings and one of Boise St/Utah/TCU will be in the top 8 so the Rose Bowl won't be able to take the Big Ten/PAC 10 runner up like in years past.

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

What about Iowa? :) Someone was going to.

Please God not Nebraska.

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 692
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    Ohio State/ Oklahoma
    I think you are on the right track.
    Im really not sure this year, but if I had a gun to my head I'd take your pick.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"