Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 137

Question Opinions/Insight Requested -- Is this a cable company issue, or a me issue?

Situation. I was all ready to switch to Direct TV/Quest (for phone/internet/TV) until I called up Mediacom and they low balled and floated a price that was more competitive if I stayed. I agreed on the condition they set up me up with the multi--room DVR option that DirectTV was offering . They did.

The problem. To provide me the multi-room DVR option, Mediacom had to come out and switch out my current DVR. Fine, expect that in doing so, my universal remote is no longer probably programmed (e.g..can't get any volume) to operate my home theater and my Denon Audio/Video receiver's settings have been changed. Note: In setting up my system originally, I paid the electronics' store to come out and program everything. Because of this, I'm a bit ignorant on how to get the system back to where it was.

Question: Should I hold Mediacom responsible to get me to the place I was before they installed the new DVR, or is that unfair to expect given the complexity of the home theater system? At one level, I think the Mediacom technician should do this, but on the other hand, I can't imagine how they'd be able to be up-to-speed on programming all the different remotes and more importantly, the different options offered by different components (i.e.ůmy Denon A/V on my system). I know the electronics' store home theater technician that set me up originally was challenged (I have an older universal remote) and it took him a long time to get everything right.

Thoughts? Opinions? There is a Mediacom tech scheduled to come out to my place Thursday afternoon to look at this, but I'm just not that convinced he's going to be able to handle and thus, not sure how hard I should push back. I'm willing to acknowledge the possibility that I chose to have a more complex system, so I am responsible for understanding it to some level and troubleshooting. Is it reasonable to expect the Mediacom guy to be an audiophile to the level he can come in and setup any home theater system? I'd like to know what others think (since I don't really want to have to pay the electronics' store guy to come back out). I've tried looking at the instructions a bit myself, but it truly makes my head hurt.

NOTE: pls, no Mediacom hater comments. I think it is fair to say this question could still be valid if you took out Mediacom and insert Dish or DirectTV.

CCG

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 223

Re: Opinions/Insight Requested -- Is this a cable company issue, or a me issue?

You should have gotten a instruction booklet with the new remote. It has instructions on how to program it for your various audio-visual gadgets.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Programing your remote is pretty simple. Tell me the model of your remote and I will help you.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I'm not much of a Mediacom fan, but it seems like a bit much to me to expect them to program a surround sound system. As an aside, I have no idea how they would have changed your AV settings. It should have been rather simple to swap your old DVR for a different one.

It doesn't seem too out of line to expect them to program the Mediacom remote to operate other equipment though, or at the very least provide you with a good explanation of how to do so.

Seneca Wallace.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    You should have gotten a instruction booklet with the new remote. It has instructions on how to program it for your various audio-visual gadgets.
    I did, and I've actually programmed the entire system myself prior to when I upgraded my A/V receiver. The new A/V is pretty complex however, and that is why I paid for the electronics store tech to come and get everything up and running.

Getting the remote to work is only part of my issue. The bigger issue is that the A/V settings are not coming up the same as prior to when Mediacom switched out the DVR.

I guess I'll see what happens on Thursday. I was surprised how long it took the guy from the electronics' store to get everything set and working correctly. I just don't know if it is realistic to expect the Mediacom guy to have the expertise. That said, it is a little disappointing (as I mentioned earlier) that they couldn't swap out the DVR and keep my system configurations in place.

CCG

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HerkyKiller View Post
    Programing your remote is pretty simple. Tell me the model of your remote and I will help you.
    Thx for the offer. I'll see what happens on Thursday. I may check back with you.

CCG