Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 277,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,489
    Points
    277,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 14

    We need a Midnight Madness

    I've always wondered why we don't have one. I think it would be a great thing for us to show off our fan support to big recruits. I'm looking at other schools that bring in numerous recruits to this and wondering why we don't do it. We need to.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 72,808, Level: 83
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,001
    Points
    72,808
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    We've never had a coach who wanted to do one. Maybe we do one next year when we have our 4 transfers and 4 frosh anxious to take the court?



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 216,989, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,241
    Points
    216,989
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 260

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    I think fear of a 1/4 Hilton with a bunch of drunk people.


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 16,868, Level: 39
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    clonefromNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrence
    Posts
    449
    Points
    16,868
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 7

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    We've never had a coach who wanted to do one. Maybe we do one next year when we have our 4 transfers and 4 frosh anxious to take the court?
    Funny thing is that McDermott is doing one at Creighton this year. Granted, it is only at 7:30pm and not midnight.

    Friday's "Bluejay Madness" To Be A Night of Basketball Fun - GoCreighton.com


    "You can observe a lot by watching" ~Yogi Berra

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 277,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,489
    Points
    277,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 14

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I think fear of a 1/4 Hilton with a bunch of drunk people.
    Ya, I forgot our fanbase is filled with people who like to go to bed at 10 .

    Seems to work at other schools.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 313,855, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In a Bunker
    Posts
    14,542
    Points
    313,855
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 21

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    We need one badly they are awesome. I have been to 1 at Illiniois and its electric.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 64,896, Level: 79
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,554
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    5,269
    Points
    64,896
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 60

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    I enjoyed the tip-off classic's or whatever they were called. Tim Floyd coming out fishing was one of the greatest things ever. Maybe once we can have some decent expectations of success again we can bring them back. 2011 tip-off classic sounds good to me!



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 277,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,489
    Points
    277,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 14

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    Kansas is having 12 recruits at their midnight madness this year. Six 5* and six 4*. Must be nice.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 31,095, Level: 54
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    goldmember's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,428
    Points
    31,095
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    Quote Originally Posted by nj829 View Post
    I enjoyed the tip-off classic's or whatever they were called. Tim Floyd coming out fishing was one of the greatest things ever. Maybe once we can have some decent expectations of success again we can bring them back. 2011 tip-off classic sounds good to me!
    I remember this one, there were about 11-12K in attendance too.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 857,335, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,090
    Points
    857,335
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,310
    Given: 1,137

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Kansas is having 12 recruits at their midnight madness this year. Six 5* and six 4*. Must be nice.
    Wonder what it's like to be a top-notch recruit looking at 11 other recruits and wondering if you're good enough to make the cut to continue being recruited.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 113,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,747
    Points
    113,081
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 55

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    Seems like there's a lot of apathy on the parts of coaches and/or administration to do things like this.
    We don't have pre-game Friday night football pep rallies. Lots of schools do.
    We don't even have pre-NCAA tourney basketball pep rallies. Lots of schools do. (ISU did have a small one for the women prior to the UConn game last year).
    We don't do anything for the VB team prior to the NCAA tourney.
    Our spring football game is a very no-nonsense event.



  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 13,559, Level: 35
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    555
    Points
    13,559
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    we tried them for several years and they just fizzled out, really boring. We combined with womens and it just didn't have any flow, wouldn't even do a dunk contest in the last few years. Fill Cyclone Alley up again and then maybe we can talk.

    There are really just a few schools that its a big hit at anymore, ku, Kentucky, UNC.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 83,399, Level: 89
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4,736
    Points
    83,399
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 685
    Given: 39

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Seems like there's a lot of apathy on the parts of coaches and/or administration to do things like this.
    We don't have pre-game Friday night football pep rallies. Lots of schools do.
    We don't even have pre-NCAA tourney basketball pep rallies. Lots of schools do. (ISU did have a small one for the women prior to the UConn game last year).
    We don't do anything for the VB team prior to the NCAA tourney.
    Our spring football game is a very no-nonsense event.
    I don't want to sound like I'm harping, but I'm going to say it. I think a large part of none of those things happening is because of our students infatuation with drinking. Students aren't going to go to a pep ralley on Friday because they'd rather start drinking as soon as they get done with class. They're not going to go to midnight madness because they'd rather be at the bar drinking at midnight. I've been around five different campuses in the midwest now, and haven't seen one other be so fascinated with getting drunk at every chance possible. Don't get me wrong, I drank in college too. But I never let it make my social life decisions for me. Heck, we're probably the only BCS school in the country that has to constantly complain about butts not being in the seats at kickoff and after halftime because people are still drinking. It's kind of like a sad, beer-induced apathy with our student base. That apathy has the huge potential for us to do something like this and look disasterous from no turnout.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 67,237, Level: 80
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    timappelgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Posts
    2,274
    Points
    67,237
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo0D-Edxuq0]YouTube - John Wall's Introduction at Big Blue Madness 2009![/ame]

    Imagine this with our very own Rolls Royce White.



  15. #15
    Cyclone42
    Guest

    Re: We need a Midnight Madness

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    I don't want to sound like I'm harping, but I'm going to say it. I think a large part of none of those things happening is because of our students infatuation with drinking. Students aren't going to go to a pep ralley on Friday because they'd rather start drinking as soon as they get done with class. They're not going to go to midnight madness because they'd rather be at the bar drinking at midnight. I've been around five different campuses in the midwest now, and haven't seen one other be so fascinated with getting drunk at every chance possible. Don't get me wrong, I drank in college too. But I never let it make my social life decisions for me. Heck, we're probably the only BCS school in the country that has to constantly complain about butts not being in the seats at kickoff and after halftime because people are still drinking. It's kind of like a sad, beer-induced apathy with our student base. That apathy has the huge potential for us to do something like this and look disasterous from no turnout.
    Is the student drinking at ISU worse now than 20 years ago? I graduated in 95, and we had alcohol-related "events" (the VEISHEA riots of 93, for example). And yet we still had really good Midnight Madness events while Johnny Orr was here.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM