Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 90

Seats and Capacity

I'm sure that I didn't have this idea first, but I'm too lazy to search. Why do we sell hillside tickets before all the seats are sold out? The hillsides should be reserved for when we exceed capacity, and capacity should be the number of seats in the stadium. If their afraid people won't buy tickets if they do that, lower the price and put more butts in the seats.

Then when it comes time to bowling in the south endzone, all that needs to be said is that we exceed the capacity of the stadium for all home games.

Whoever had the idea to include the hillside area in the capacity of the stadium should be taken out back and beaten. It should have always been referred to excess capacity.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 0

Re: Seats and Capacity

Winner.

Maybe lowering tickets will bring more fans? Then once we get good, raise them back again.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 79

Pollard has said that he will sell hillsides as long as there is demand. This suggests he would sell tickets up 70k or more if people wanted to buy them.

Starter
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 31

the truth is a ton of familys get hillsides, me included. It just allows my young children some room to move so I dont have to hold them the whole time and is also more affordable when bringing little cyclone club members. Just cant justify paying so much for kids. I also think the empties has a lot to do with the product. Hard to justiy going for some when the sun never shines on our rears.

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by VTXCyRyD View Post
    I'm sure that I didn't have this idea first, but I'm too lazy to search. Why do we sell hillside tickets before all the seats are sold out? The hillsides should be reserved for when we exceed capacity, and capacity should be the number of seats in the stadium. If their afraid people won't buy tickets if they do that, lower the price and put more butts in the seats.

Then when it comes time to bowling in the south endzone, all that needs to be said is that we exceed the capacity of the stadium for all home games.

Whoever had the idea to include the hillside area in the capacity of the stadium should be taken out back and beaten. It should have always been referred to excess capacity.

Ok, marketing genius- What do you do with all the Lil Clone Club kids that paid $50 a kid to come to games and sit on the hill and consume concessions?

The truth is the hillside tickets open up a market to families that would otherwise not be able to come to games week in and week out. These kids wouldn't grow up enjoying the cyclone football experience, so they don't buy season tickets themselves as adults.

The truth is Iowa State does not currently have a product on the field that they can sell to the fans and dictate the terms. They must market to all kinds of people to get butts inside the stadium by any means possible.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

I really dont think ISU is in a place to turn people away or turn them off of ISU FB. We need all the fans we can get in the stadium, in the grass or wherever. I dont think the hill sides are counted as part of the total cap of the staduim.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

Quote Originally Posted by jtdoyle1 View Post
    Ok, marketing genius- What do you do with all the Lil Clone Club kids that paid $50 a kid to come to games and sit on the hill and consume concessions?

The truth is the hillside tickets open up a market to families that would otherwise not be able to come to games week in and week out. These kids wouldn't grow up enjoying the cyclone football experience, so they don't buy season tickets themselves as adults.

The truth is Iowa State does not currently have a product on the field that they can sell to the fans and dictate the terms. They must market to all kinds of people to get butts inside the stadium by any means possible.
    I hope you didn't pay $50/game for your Lil Clone Club kids. Mine were only $50 for the entire year - including all the other sports (except mens' basketball conference games).

That said, I agree that the hillsides are great for families. However, I think what the OP was trying to say is that we should sell reserved seat tickets until the stands are sold out, even if we have to lower the prices, before we sell hillside tickets in order to encourage people to fill the stands. I'm sure you could take your reserved seat tickets and move to the hillside with your family if that is more convenient for you.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 1

You can still have the seats be General Admission (the student section does this) ISU Basketball games has entire section for this and lil cyclone club members.

You move the students to the south endzone. Make the current student section the location where all the people on the hills and current south endzone would go. Then don't allow anyone on the north hills until big games or if demand grows. Same prices and better seats :)

Just my opinion though.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What if ISU just sold the hillside tickets for the North Endzone? Then bowl the South Endzone on the lower deck completely in. Bam. Best of both worlds. Plus the kids can watch the players come down the ramp, which is cool for them.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,384
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 98

Attendance would be much worse without hillside sales. Plain and simple. ISU does not have the fanbase structure to support selling out JTS regardless of how they market the tickets. Even when Mac was winning, the attendance was pretty similar to what it is now.

There's a lot of hillside sales because its all a family can afford. Do you want to turn those people away?

The only way hillside hurts attendance is the fact that people don't have much money tied up in those tickets, so its more likely to justify not going to some of the games.

Last edited by Omaha Cy; 10-12-2010 at 12:06 AM.
    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    I hope you didn't pay $50/game for your Lil Clone Club kids. Mine were only $50 for the entire year - including all the other sports (except mens' basketball conference games).

That said, I agree that the hillsides are great for families. However, I think what the OP was trying to say is that we should sell reserved seat tickets until the stands are sold out, even if we have to lower the prices, before we sell hillside tickets in order to encourage people to fill the stands. I'm sure you could take your reserved seat tickets and move to the hillside with your family if that is more convenient for you.

Correct on the $50 a year for lil clone club, but what I meant is that is a another revenue stream that has to be accommodated.

If all Iowa State sold was the reserve tickets first at face value you would be looking at a stadium of about 25,000-35,000, and empty seats don't spend money at concession stands either.

I don't see why everyone is so quick to bowl in the endzone. Right now it would be a terrible investment. Until ISu can average 55,000 a game there is no point of even thinking about adding capacity.

Last edited by jtdoyle1; 10-12-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 247

I love the the way fans on hillsides look on TV. It makes it seem as if JTS is bursting at the seams, and the overflow crowd has spill out over on them.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 423

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I love the the way fans on hillsides look on TV. It makes it seem as if JTS is bursting at the seams, and the overflow crowd has spill out over on them.
    yeah... someone said the announcers claimed we had a sellout crowd on saturday when we were nowhere close.. wonder if this is why

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    Attendance would be much worse without hillside sales. Plain and simple. ISU does not have the fanbase structure to support selling out JTS regardless of how they market the tickets. Even when Mac was winning, the attendance was pretty similar to what it is now.

Theres a lot of hillside sales because its all a family can afford. Do you want to turn those people away?

The only way hillside hurts attendance is the fact that people don't have much money tied up in those tickets, so its more likely to justify not going to some of the games.

I have friends that will don't want to pay money for real seats so they go hillside. Most of them hate them and some don't go any more because its muddy, wet, 45 degree incline, Kids playing football, bad sightlines. If you sit in the south hills to late you can't even see half the game and the scoreboard.

If you do what I was saying a couple posts above....then you get those hillside people in real seats for the same price. That would be awesome. That would probably get more people there in my opinion. It could take away from higher donations though.....

All this being said. We just need to win. Which I am not so sure about right now:(

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    If you do what I was saying a couple posts above....then you get those hillside people in real seats for the same price. That would be awesome. That would probably get more people there in my opinion. It could take away from higher donations though.....
    I think that is what the the mini packs are for selling off the left over seats for a reasonable price.

You're right that winning would solve a lot when it comes fans in the seats. It would be interesting to see where ISU ranks in attendance vs. winning percentage over the last decade compared to others.