Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,123
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 263
    Given: 109

What happened to the punt and kick cover teams?

I know Utah was very good at returning kicks and punts, but the coverage for ISU has been fairly decent until the Utah game. What I saw on the replay was horrible and unacceptable. On the kick return the guy ran right between two tacklers and he was gone. The punt returns were even worse. On the long return Shaky caught the ball and just stood there for 2 seconds, waiting for the blocks to develop, and then he stopped again 40 yards down field and waited for the blockers to reengage the cover team! It was like everyone was so scared that he was going to get by them they were afraid to go after him.

What ever happened to the guys that would drill the punt return guy before he caught the ball, even that is better than what happened last week.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 794
    Given: 525

Re: What happened to the punt and kick cover teams?

We must have been saving it for the next game. They must have done a good job in holding up our first two people going downfield. Can we use Bo Williams as a tackler on punts? He might be able to catch them.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,029
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 341

I think we got exposed in this area of the game by a team who takes ST very seriously. Utah is great because they do the little things right and are prepared in every facet of the game. I think a big issue with our punt coverage is Kirby's punting. He has a great leg and will be a very good punter but as of now he just catches the ball and boots it as far as he can, and while he gets good yardage on his punts that gives a great return game team like Utah a chance to set up their return and thats like playing with fire. When you give guys like Smithson a little room he's tough to bring down.

Walk On
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Utah had the best special teams I have seen in years! How many times did we get passed the 20 or 21 yard line on kick returns? Great kick returns, great punt returns, and they even blocked an extra point! I was absolutely amazed by what I saw Saturday.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by TuckerBlayze View Post
    Utah had the best special teams I have seen in years! How many times did we get passed the 20 or 21 yard line on kick returns? Great kick returns, great punt returns, and they even blocked an extra point! I was absolutely amazed by what I saw Saturday.
    I agree. Probably the best special teams I've ever seen.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Completely agree. I'm not sure theres a better coached team in the country. With USC going through their problems and Andrew Luck more than likely being in the NFL next year, I expect Utah to be competing for Pac-12 championships immediately.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 356
    Given: 836

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I know Utah was very good at returning kicks and punts, but the coverage for ISU has been fairly decent until the Utah game. What I saw on the replay was horrible and unacceptable. On the kick return the guy ran right between two tacklers and he was gone. The punt returns were even worse. On the long return Shaky caught the ball and just stood there for 2 seconds, waiting for the blocks to develop, and then he stopped again 40 yards down field and waited for the blockers to reengage the cover team! It was like everyone was so scared that he was going to get by them they were afraid to go after him.

What ever happened to the guys that would drill the punt return guy before he caught the ball, even that is better than what happened last week.
    It boiled down to poor discipline. Guys chasing the ball rather then staying in their lanes. As soon as the punt returner made a cutback there was nobody in front of him. We were pretty shocked in our section that they kept kicking the ball to them. Angle the damn thing out of bounds. Geez.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,274
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    I think we got exposed in this area of the game by a team who takes ST very seriously. Utah is great because they do the little things right and are prepared in every facet of the game. I think a big issue with our punt coverage is Kirby's punting. He has a great leg and will be a very good punter but as of now he just catches the ball and boots it as far as he can, and while he gets good yardage on his punts that gives a great return game team like Utah a chance to set up their return and thats like playing with fire. When you give guys like Smithson a little room he's tough to bring down.
    Probably would have been better to kick it out of bounds in the Utah game, but then the haters would have been complaining about 32 yard kicks and how he shanks it way to much.

The first long punt return was actually pretty good. Long, lots of hang time. We had plenty of time to get down there. I'm pretty sure there was one guy right there and two more guys close. He just made him miss.

In Kirby's defense, I only remember one punt that was your typical low line drive returnable kick. The rest either seemed to have good hang time or have good angles. Problem is, that kick returner was just too good.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    Probably would have been better to kick it out of bounds in the Utah game, but then the haters would have been complaining about 32 yard kicks and how he shanks it way to much.

The first long punt return was actually pretty good. Long, lots of hang time. We had plenty of time to get down there. I'm pretty sure there was one guy right there and two more guys close. He just made him miss.

In Kirby's defense, I only remember one punt that was your typical low line drive returnable kick. The rest either seemed to have good hang time or have good angles. Problem is, that kick returner was just too good.
    Yea, I think KVK was just doing what he was told and I think we've got a heck of a punter especially for a freshman. From a coaching standpoint theres no excuse for punting to Shakey after the first return but its easy to say that afte the fact. Either way those punt returns were just one of the several facets of the game we were outplayed in and its not like we lost because of a couple of plays on special teams.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 142

Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post

Some people around me were saying there was an obvious block in the back on that long return. Anyone else see that or were they full of it? I'm leaning toward the latter, because in the 2nd quarter one of them was chanting for Tiller to come into the game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 36

We were very good at coverage last year. This year....not so much. Something I noticed well before Utah got to town.

Walk On
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    We were very good at coverage last year. This year....not so much. Something I noticed well before Utah got to town.
    I will give you two reasons - Knott and Klein!
    They seemed to be the ones making all the tackles last year on special teams.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 916
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Some people around me were saying there was an obvious block in the back on that long return. Anyone else see that or were they full of it? I'm leaning toward the latter, because in the 2nd quarter one of them was chanting for Tiller to come into the game.
    Not a true "block" (no hands out in front), but yeah, he was run into. it happened so quick, and shaky was by him so fast, they it was tough to notice.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I will give you two reasons - Knott and Klein!
    They seemed to be the ones making all the tackles last year on special teams.
    They're still there, at least on punt coverage. Don't remember if they're on the other units, but I know they're on the Punt team.

The difference is last year they were back-up LBs and starting special teams guys...this year they start at both, and play every single snap of defense unless they've been pulled off for a play because of injury, or when we were well ahead of UNI. If we had the depth at LB to sub them out, they'd be "fresher" for special teams...or if we had depth on special teams and could let Knott and Klein focus more on LB.

I think we saw the same thing with Jeremy Reeves, who I've seen on punt, punt return, and kickoff. Not sure about kickoff return. Oh, and he's also an every play corner when we're in the nickel package. He was toast in the late 3rd/4th quarter because of playing on special teams all night in addition to corner. Was kinda surprised that instead of going to Anthony Young and keeping TB at nickel, they moved TB back to corner and put Jacques Washington at nickel, but JW was servicable and looked like a solid back-up to TB.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 546

I believe the stat was we had given up 35 punt return yards in the entire CPR era until last weekend when that was blown to crap in a play.