Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Talent / Expectations

Already posted this on CR, but thought I'd post it here as well.

---

With the talent we have on our team right now, you can only do so much. I feel that Rhoads is getting about as much as he can out of the talent we have on our team, and that's really all you can do.

We're very competitive with the average, middle of the pack teams. We win some of those games (Baylor, Colorado, Minnesota, Texas Tech), and we lose some (Kansas State (twice), Kansas). We seem to beat all the teams that we do have the talent edge against (NDSU, Kent State, Army, UNI, Northern Illinois), and we lose (and against the much better teams, lose badly) against teams that have an obvious talent advantage over us (Texas A&M, Okie State, Mizzou, Iowa (twice), Utah) - and it took a major fluke of a game against Nebraska for us to pull that one out. If they don't turn it over eight times (five in our red zone), that game's a big loss too.

Until we can upgrade our talent, that's pretty much how it's going to be. Something that's interesting to me after typing all this out, is that as inconsistent as some of the scores seem from game to game, the trend is actually VERY consistent. The 'better' teams just beat us down, and do it with ease. Last year A&M, Oklahoma State, and Iowa all beat us pretty badly. This year's been the same so far - the much better teams just handle us.

We still have a shot at a few more wins, because Kansas and Colorado are teams we are fairly equivalent with talent-wise and I like our coaching staff a lot - but beyond that (Outside of Mizzou maybe) we may be in for a few more beatdowns if the trend continues, which hopefully will not be the case.

Hopefully this staff can upgrade the talent level of our team because once we do that, I think we'll be in great shape. They've already proven they can win games against teams with equal or lesser talent, so once we have the talent to compete with the big dogs, I'm sure we will get our share of those wins.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 112

Re: Talent / Expectations

ISU has a 3-3 record at the mid-point in the season. At the beginning of the season this is where the Clones should be. Although I expected the them to beat Kansas State instead of Texas Tech. I felt that at the beginning of the season ISU would make a bowl game if they were 3-1 in the non-conference schedule. But now they are 2-2 in non-conference which means they will finish either 6-6 or 5-7. I am still optimistic that this team could make a bowl game.

Iowa State still has 6 games against Big XII opponents and in all reality how many teams are better than Utah? Oklahoma? Nebraska? Maybe Texas? That still leaves 3 more chance for wins against the likes of Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri. Missouri might have just as much talent as Texas Tech. If the Cyclone can't be competitive against those three foes than they don't deserve a chance to be in a bowl game. I do not want a 5-7 ISU team in a bowl game.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52

When can we expect to see ISU's increase in talent level?

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    That is the question.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Nebraska going to the Big 10 will help recruiting quite a bit. No reason for Texas kids to go to Nebraska anymore when their friends and family can never see them play. May as well go to KU, K-State or ISU.

I think Rhoads has done a fabulous job in his 1.5 years. He took over a program that won 9 games in three years and took us to Tempe on New Years Eve in year 1 and has us in bowl contention year 2, despite the tougher schedule.

It's going to take this staff AT LEAST 2 more years before we can expect to be competitive with high level teams. Not surprised at all Iowa and Utah had their way with us. I'm sure OU will, too. It happens.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    Nebraska going to the Big 10 will help recruiting quite a bit. No reason for Texas kids to go to Nebraska anymore when their friends and family can never see them play. May as well go to KU, K-State or ISU.
    I would comment on this but you guys would just accuse me of being a jerk, so I will refrain.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 712
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Being in- and out of Texas under the new Big XII should help... just a observation

www.landthieves.com Al Gore's favorite invention

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 2

Not until we string together a few bowl games in a row. We won one last year. This year and next year will be tough.

As long as we don't see 3 win seasons for a while, it can't get any worse. I think we'll slowly see recruiting getting better, but it won't be a whole lot better until we are consistently going to bowl games. It's going to take a few years. Having some consistency with our coaching staff will help, too. We need to keep our staff intact as much as possible.