Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 11,220, Level: 31
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cyfan50438's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Garner, IA
    Posts
    583
    Points
    11,220
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 8

    Twins get swept by Yankees

    The Twins just can't get past the Yankees. Not sure what they need to do. I was worried when they only won two in the last ten games after they clinched the division.

    On to next year.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 63,325, Level: 78
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,525
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    WalkingCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,188
    Points
    63,325
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 200

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    I'm not a Twin fan at all...(I am a White Sox fan)... thus, I don't like them at all.....

    I must say though that I was hoping for them to beat the Yankees. But again the same old song and dance of the worthless "post-season Twins team" that reared their ugly head again .....another year of not winning in the post season is getting lame. Played out of your ***** at the end of the regular season only to get crushed in 3 games. Just makes me wish the Sox would have won the Central.

    Just felt like a big waste of time seeing the Twins win the division....after it was tight for 90% of the season....only to suck like usual in the post season.

    Here's to the Sox getting it done next year and stay healthy to make the Central strong again. And yes, it was a good race this year.... Though, to be kind to the Twinkies....you will be the team to beat in the Central again.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 38,213, Level: 60
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CycloneNorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    2,118
    Points
    38,213
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 13

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    The Twins will be back next year. Hopefully a healthy Morneau makes a difference in the playoffs.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 64,675, Level: 78
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,149
    Points
    64,675
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 50

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    I'm not a Twin fan at all...(I am a White Sox fan)... thus, I don't like them at all.....

    I must say though that I was hoping for them to beat the Yankees. But again the same old song and dance of the worthless "post-season Twins team" that reared their ugly head again .....another year of not winning in the post season is getting lame. Played out of your ***** at the end of the regular season only to get crushed in 3 games. Just makes me wish the Sox would have won the Central.

    Just felt like a big waste of time seeing the Twins win the division....after it was tight for 90% of the season....only to suck like usual in the post season.

    Here's to the Sox getting it done next year and stay healthy to make the Central strong again. And yes, it was a good race this year.... Though, to be kind to the Twinkies....you will be the team to beat in the Central again.

    Here's a good stat for you, the AL and NL Central are a combined 3-27 in their last 30 playoff games.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 194,633, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Dryburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    9,058
    Points
    194,633
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 6

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    I think Gardy just panics or something, and does not know how to get his team up to face the Yankees.

    Seems like he changes what got them there.......like batting Young 4th when he had not batted there for most of the year. They had success batting several left-handed batters in a row and batting Young 7th during the year, so why suddenly change it? It just seems to me that Gardy always tries to adjust for the playoffs rather than just sticking with what has worked. Just my opinion.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 23,145, Level: 46
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,458
    Points
    23,145
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    I think Gardy just panics or something, and does not know how to get his team up to face the Yankees.

    Seems like he changes what got them there.......like batting Young 4th when he had not batted there for most of the year. They had success batting several left-handed batters in a row and batting Young 7th during the year, so why suddenly change it? It just seems to me that Gardy always tries to adjust for the playoffs rather than just sticking with what has worked. Just my opinion.

    Young batted in the following spots this year:

    3rd: 15 games
    4th: 20 games
    5th: 20 games
    6th: 29 games
    7th: 62 games
    8th: 7 games

    Almost all the games in the 7 hole were before Morneau went down.

    Gardy isn't getting it done in the playoffs, but how much should it really fall on the manager to 'get his team up' to face the Yankees in the playoffs? It's the f'n playoffs, the players should be getting themselves up.

    Every year the Twins have been in these games, had the lead in most of them, and then squandered chance after chance to take the game. IMO, this doesn't fall on the manager. The Twins just don't get it done, and I don't understand it.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 194,633, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Dryburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    9,058
    Points
    194,633
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 6

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by jtd9046 View Post
    Young batted in the following spots this year:

    3rd: 15 games
    4th: 20 games
    5th: 20 games
    6th: 29 games
    7th: 62 games
    8th: 7 games

    Almost all the games in the 7 hole were before Morneau went down.

    Gardy isn't getting it done in the playoffs, but how much should it really fall on the manager to 'get his team up' to face the Yankees in the playoffs? It's the f'n playoffs, the players should be getting themselves up.

    Every year the Twins have been in these games, had the lead in most of them, and then squandered chance after chance to take the game. IMO, this doesn't fall on the manager. The Twins just don't get it done, and I don't understand it.
    The point is Gardy got away from what he had used all year in the lineup....using several left-handed bats in a row, even though it had produced one of the most productive offenses in the major leagues this year. He went back to his Left, right, left, right, left, etc. lineup which had not been used most of the year. And this was done even though NY only had one left-handed pitcher in the bullpen.

    You have to put some of this on the manager. Yes, the players are responsible to get themselves in the proper frame of mind too, but so is the manager. Players have changed the last 4 times the Twins have been in the playoffs.......yet the record stays the same......3 and out. The one constant has been Gardy. He cannot beat the Yankees....in the regular season, or in the post-season. Doesn't even seem to matter who is the manager on the other side.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 12,940, Level: 34
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    superman_101680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    809
    Points
    12,940
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneNorth View Post
    The Twins will be back next year. Hopefully a healthy Morneau makes a difference in the playoffs.
    I love my Twinkies but when was the last time Morneau finished a season without missing significant time?



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 440,061, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,988
    Points
    440,061
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 30

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    The point is Gardy got away from what he had used all year in the lineup....using several left-handed bats in a row, even though it had produced one of the most productive offenses in the major leagues this year. He went back to his Left, right, left, right, left, etc. lineup which had not been used most of the year. And this was done even though NY only had one left-handed pitcher in the bullpen.
    Might as well say 2. Rivera is devastating to lefties.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 110,209, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RING4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    6,728
    Points
    110,209
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 150

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by superman_101680 View Post
    I love my Twinkies but when was the last time Morneau finished a season without missing significant time?
    Played in all 163 games in 2008.




  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 489,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    33,031
    Points
    489,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,158
    Given: 822

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    Not sure how much Morneau would have actually helped in this series. He did bat well against the Yankees - 7 for 20, for a .350 average and only 4 Ks, but because the rest of the lineup struggled around him, he only scored 2 runs and had 3 RBIs. Certainly would have helped, especially getting Kubel out of the lineup (who does absolutely nothing against the Yankees except for that one grand slam).

    No, the major problem wasn't that the lineup wasn't that the Twins weren't missing Morneau, the real problem was that the Twins' 3-7 hitters were flat out owned by Yankee pitching. Mauer was flat out worthless, Young, Thome, and Kubel did nothing, and with the exception of his two-run homer, Cuddyer didn't do much either.

    Liriano and Pavano pitched very well, just didn't get adequate run support and the Yankees eventually chipped away at them. Hudson, Valencia, and Hardy were really the only three guys with productive at-bats.

    I honestly don't know what else Gardy could have done. It wasn't Gardy's faulty strategy that caused the Twins to flat out choke any time there were RISP. That being said, Gardy has the same "owned" face that the rest of the Twins had. You could tell that it was over as the Twins walked into the clubhouse following game 2 - it was written all over their faces. There was no fight left in them at all.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 36,657, Level: 59
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,193
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,453
    Points
    36,657
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    I get two teams I like into the playoffs and they win a combined total of 0 games. Depressing.


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 66,028, Level: 79
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    4,076
    Points
    66,028
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 721

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Liriano and Pavano pitched very well, just didn't get adequate run support and the Yankees eventually chipped away at them.
    Didn't Liriano give up 5 runs in 6 innings? Or was that another pitcher?

    Also...awhile back someone told me that Morneau (sp?) was getting some advice about not playing again...ever. Is this still the case? Has anything definitive been stated about the future of Morneau?



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 489,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    33,031
    Points
    489,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,158
    Given: 822

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    Didn't Liriano give up 5 runs in 6 innings? Or was that another pitcher?

    Also...awhile back someone told me that Morneau (sp?) was getting some advice about not playing again...ever. Is this still the case? Has anything definitive been stated about the future of Morneau?
    Liriano gave up 4 in 5 2/3 innings. While that's not a great outing, and Liriano wasn't dominating their lefties the way he should have, he held the Yankees scoreless for 5 innings, and all the Twins could score for him up to that point was 3 runs.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 23,145, Level: 46
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,458
    Points
    23,145
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Twins get swept by Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    The point is Gardy got away from what he had used all year in the lineup....using several left-handed bats in a row, even though it had produced one of the most productive offenses in the major leagues this year. He went back to his Left, right, left, right, left, etc. lineup which had not been used most of the year.

    You have to put some of this on the manager. Yes, the players are responsible to get themselves in the proper frame of mind too, but so is the manager. Players have changed the last 4 times the Twins have been in the playoffs.......yet the record stays the same......3 and out. The one constant has been Gardy. He cannot beat the Yankees....in the regular season, or in the post-season. Doesn't even seem to matter who is the manager on the other side.
    You cannot put 1 for 15 with runners in scoring position on the manager. 1 for 15, in the entire series. When did the 1 hit come? In the 8th inning of game 3. They had their chances, over and over and over again.

    Also, once they lost Morneau... they strayed away big time from the lefty heavy middle of the order so you are wrong there. Anytime they faced a lefty in the second half of the season they had a right handed bat behind Mauer, then another lefty, then another righty, before getting to Thome or Kubel.

    I'll add... what lefty loaded lineup would you have liked to see? You can't put Kubel and his .069 lifetime postseason average in the cleanup spot, or the 5th hole for that matter.


    Last edited by jtd9046; 10-12-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM