Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Re: Chrysler to build cars in China

Zhongxing Automobile is planning to export 50,000 pickups and SUVs to Mexico this year as a springboard to break into the U.S. market within two years. The vehicles will on average be a fifth cheaper than comparably equipped brand-name competitors.
    That is one way to get vehicles in the United States, let the illegals drive them in.
    Lord I apologize.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Did I hear somebody say "Our trade deficit with China isn't big enough yet"? I must have.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Supposedly, they're going to sell them for less than $10,000. However I don't see that happening. Toyota developed a car not too long ago that they planned to sell for $5500 brand new in the US, but the labor unions won't let that happen because no one would make any money on them.

They did say on the news that there is no safety info for these cars though. They haven't done any testing from USDOT or the insurance companies from the US yet. It will be interesting to see if they are actually safe or not.

TRUE & VALIANT

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 27

I am telling ya, buy a foreign car, tell the US automakers you will not buy anything not built in the US. My Nissan was made in Kentucky, my wifes honda van was built in us too.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 12

The cars that Chrysler will be building in China are all going to be sub compacts. A subcompact simply can't be built in the United States given the wages of American workers and the health care costs built into each vehicle. Every subcompact (Versa, Fit, Yaris, Aveo) sold in the United States is built in Asia.

If Chrysler wants to get into the subcompact market, they simply have to team with an Asian car maker if they want to turn even a minuscule profit on the vehicle.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The cars that Chrysler will be building in China are all going to be sub compacts. A subcompact simply can't be built in the United States given the wages of American workers and the health care costs built into each vehicle. Every subcompact (Versa, Fit, Yaris, Aveo) sold in the United States is built in Asia.

If Chrysler wants to get into the subcompact market, they simply have to team with an Asian car maker if they want to turn even a minuscule profit on the vehicle.
    Problem is, subcompacts will never work in the US. I would love to get one, but I would get killed if someone ran over me in a tahoe. And it would literally be running one of them over.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Problem is, subcompacts will never work in the US. I would love to get one, but I would get killed if someone ran over me in a tahoe. And it would literally be running one of them over.
    You and I aren't going to buy one, but they are selling. The Aveo for Chevrolet has been a surprising success for them. I've also seen plenty of Fits and Yaris' (Yari?) zooming around Omaha.

They may not be huge volume sellers, but they will be of increasing importance, especially as the government increases the manufacturer mile/gallon requirements. If Chrysler doesn't do anything about that they will be in even deeper ***** than they are now, considering probably 1/3 vehicles they sell has a Hemi.

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 302

When I went to Europe last year, every other car was a MB Smart car. They would make an excellent city car but you wouldn't want them out on the interstate.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 38

I want a car that I can fit my golf clubs in. These little cars are great for the big city or in dense populated countries where space is limited - but in good old Iowa I will like to keep my SUV and 4 door sedan. Try driving 1000 miles in one of those rice burners, you will spend the next three days in the doctors office trying to get your back out of knots.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    I want a car that I can fit my golf clubs in. These little cars are great for the big city or in dense populated countries where space is limited - but in good old Iowa I will like to keep my SUV and 4 door sedan. Try driving 1000 miles in one of those rice burners, you will spend the next three days in the doctors office trying to get your back out of knots.
    Yeah but driving 1,000 miles in an SUV will send you to your banker the next day to get a home equity loan to pay off that gas bill.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Double post.

Last edited by ornryactor; 07-04-2007 at 03:23 PM.
    True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.

Victory before honor.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    When I went to Europe last year, every other car was a MB Smart car. They would make an excellent city car but you wouldn't want them out on the interstate.
    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Try driving 1000 miles in one of those rice burners, you will spend the next three days in the doctors office trying to get your back out of knots.
    Actually, neither of those are true, in my opinion. I got to ride in a Smart car when I was in Europe and was surprised at how comfortable and large it was. Also surprising was its ability to handle interstate speeds just fine. If there is any problem taking one onto American interstates, it would be inconsiderate drivers in giant trucks or SUVs potentially posing a threat to the Smart car; I have no idea on how that would play out. The American fortwo version isn't exactly microscopic, though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-i30r0dXIw"]YouTube - Smart - Bigger then you think[/ame]

On the topic of uncomfortable foreign subcompacts, I really suggest people try out the Honda Fit. I've started seeing a lot of them recently. It had just come out when I was shopping for a car last summer, so I test-drove one a couple of times. There were still some minor kinks to work out, but it was really, really comfortable and roomy. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 205. Not massive, but more than big enough to make riding in most vehicles a pain. I fit into the Fit (hah!) with lots of room in every direction. Plus, $16k for a new fully-loaded vehicle is a pretty good deal compared to just about anything else. I think after one more model year, that's going to be a formidable car to compete against- it can be classified as a subcompact, a CUV, or a sedan equally.

True and Valiant

Victory before honor.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

In 1985, I bought a Honda Civic HF, and it got 55mph on the hightway and 40+ in town. I loved that car and have never understood why Honda or others could not duplicate the incredible gas mileage in later years. I saw the Smart car in Paris three years ago. Like the Scion, it is so ugly that it is cute. But neither gives the mileage of the 1985 Honda.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 323

Quote Originally Posted by throwittoblythe View Post
    Supposedly, they're going to sell them for less than $10,000. However I don't see that happening. Toyota developed a car not too long ago that they planned to sell for $5500 brand new in the US, but the labor unions won't let that happen because no one would make any money on them.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but last time I checked the Japanese automakers didn't have to deal with unions because they pay their employees so well and give them such great benefits that for the employees to go union would ruin the "good thing." Therefore, Toyota shouldn't be influenced by the unions as to what price to set. As a matter of fact, no automaker should be influenced directly by unions as to what price to set - that is set by what the market will allow and what they can cover their operating costs with.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.