Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 10,261, Level: 30
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    wcamnclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    289
    Points
    10,261
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

    Last semester of classes

    So I went in and talked with my advisor a couple weeks ago, and have decided to pick up an accounting minor to go with my finance degree. Since I only need 9 more credits and 12 total to graduate, I figured this is a logical thing to do.

    So my options are to take three of the four following classes, Acct 383, 384, 386, and 485. I just want to hear some opinions on what they suggest to take, and any advice on the matter. I was thinking about taking 384, 386, and 485. What can I look forward to or what should I expect with a schedule like this to go along with mgmt 478?



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,596, Level: 90
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    azepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    3,962
    Points
    84,596
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

    Re: Last semester of classes

    Quote Originally Posted by wcamnclone View Post
    So I went in and talked with my advisor a couple weeks ago, and have decided to pick up an accounting minor to go with my finance degree. Since I only need 9 more credits and 12 total to graduate, I figured this is a logical thing to do.

    So my options are to take three of the four following classes, Acct 383, 384, 386, and 485. I just want to hear some opinions on what they suggest to take, and any advice on the matter. I was thinking about taking 384, 386, and 485. What can I look forward to or what should I expect with a schedule like this to go along with mgmt 478?
    What kind of career are you looking for?



  3. #3
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 10,261, Level: 30
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    wcamnclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    289
    Points
    10,261
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

    Re: Last semester of classes

    Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    What kind of career are you looking for?
    Well, I'm pretty open right now as I don't have a job lined up yet. I was thinking about going into commercial real estate, auditing, or a financial analyst. Any other advice?



  4. #4
    Recruit
    Points: 9,344, Level: 28
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    101
    Points
    9,344
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

    Re: Last semester of classes

    Quote Originally Posted by wcamnclone View Post
    Well, I'm pretty open right now as I don't have a job lined up yet. I was thinking about going into commercial real estate, auditing, or a financial analyst. Any other advice?
    Read the descriptions and take what interests you and be prepared for the real learning when you take a job. If you want to do analytical work, hold out for a job that includes that and avoids cold calling (within reason).

    I prepared almost exclusively for a career in equities in college only to work in fixed income, but I prefered to be able to work in the capital markets and do analysis rather than sell stocks or personal financial plans...



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 51,621, Level: 70
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    isukendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    1,848
    Points
    51,621
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 63

    Re: Last semester of classes

    I'm in the last semester of my PhD at Colorado State, and I had to take a class to stay on assistantship. So I'm taking FTEC 460: Brewing Science and Technology. We brew beer in class.

    That doesn't really answer your question.... I just wanted to point this out.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 73,776, Level: 84
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,074
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyballz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    874
    Points
    73,776
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 12

    Re: Last semester of classes

    Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    I'm in the last semester of my PhD at Colorado State, and I had to take a class to stay on assistantship. So I'm taking FTEC 460: Brewing Science and Technology. We brew beer in class.

    That doesn't really answer your question.... I just wanted to point this out.



    read this post quickly - it might not last long

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 432,923, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,826
    Points
    432,923
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

    Re: Last semester of classes

    DO NOT TAKE ACCOUNTING 485! My helpful advice.

    383: Intermediate Managerial - Easy B
    384: Accounting Information Systems - Take with Diane Janvrin: EASY A
    386: Intermediate Financial - Took it with Robert Gary who has since left, but I've heard its still not bad.

    Note: I'll have my BS in Accounting in May. 485 is by far the worst accounting class, and nothing even comes close. 387 blows, but 485 is a ton worse.

    Also, if you're looking into auditing, Acct 497 is the auditing class. Put in no effort and you'll get a B.


    Last edited by IcSyU; 10-08-2010 at 01:12 PM.

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,596, Level: 90
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    azepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    3,962
    Points
    84,596
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

    Re: Last semester of classes

    First advice - if you're going into your last semester expend as much energy as possible figuring out what you want to do and getting a job. I'm going to guess that auditing is probably not an option at this point - most CPA firms look for candidate who will graduate with 150 hours and at least 24 hours of accounting (excluding 284, 285, 215, and 316) so they can sit for the CPA exam.

    That said, here are my thoughts:

    1. Take the tax class. It's boring as hell, and it's not easy, but it may be helpful for all of those careers you mentioned - you need to know the tax implications of your financial analysis/commercial real estate transactions. Plus, it's a good life skill to be able to do your own taxes and minimize the amount of money you have to give to the government.

    2. 386 and 387 are related. 386 focuses on the left side of the balance sheet - assets. 387 covers the right side - liabilities and equity. Many people find these courses challenging. Do you want to take a challenging class to end up knowing how to do half of your books (taking 386 without 387)? These classes are the meat and pototoes of financial accounting, so they will give you the best understanding of how accounting really works and provide the basis for a comprehensive understanding of preparing and reading financial statements. These skills would be very good tools for a financial analyst.

    3. 383 - I don't remember a lot of details about this one. Just that I found it pretty easy. Take it for the easy grade.

    4. 384 = garbage, if you're not getting into IT. The only hard thing about this class was convincing myself to go. And I have never ever used anything I learned in this class.

    So I guess I would take 383, 386, and 485.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 44,627, Level: 65
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,801
    Points
    44,627
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: Last semester of classes

    384 is definitely a different type of accounting course, and I thought her periodic quizzes were difficult, but the midterm and final were not difficult at all. Plus, you can talk about SQL in interviews after taking that course, and employers eat that up.

    I didn't think 485 was difficult at all, but the two tax professors there when I took them have since moved on, and I have yet to hear a good thing about that class since. If you have to take three of the four, I think it's a no brainer. 383, 384, and 386.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 44,627, Level: 65
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,801
    Points
    44,627
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: Last semester of classes

    Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    First advice - if you're going into your last semester expend as much energy as possible figuring out what you want to do and getting a job. I'm going to guess that auditing is probably not an option at this point - most CPA firms look for candidate who will graduate with 150 hours and at least 24 hours of accounting (excluding 284, 285, 215, and 316) so they can sit for the CPA exam.

    That said, here are my thoughts:

    1. Take the tax class. It's boring as hell, and it's not easy, but it may be helpful for all of those careers you mentioned - you need to know the tax implications of your financial analysis/commercial real estate transactions. Plus, it's a good life skill to be able to do your own taxes and minimize the amount of money you have to give to the government.

    2. 386 and 387 are related. 386 focuses on the left side of the balance sheet - assets. 387 covers the right side - liabilities and equity. Many people find these courses challenging. Do you want to take a challenging class to end up knowing how to do half of your books (taking 386 without 387)? These classes are the meat and pototoes of financial accounting, so they will give you the best understanding of how accounting really works and provide the basis for a comprehensive understanding of preparing and reading financial statements. These skills would be very good tools for a financial analyst.

    3. 383 - I don't remember a lot of details about this one. Just that I found it pretty easy. Take it for the easy grade.

    4. 384 = garbage, if you're not getting into IT. The only hard thing about this class was convincing myself to go. And I have never ever used anything I learned in this class.

    So I guess I would take 383, 386, and 485.
    Auditing for a CPA firm may not be an option, but internal auditing would absolutely still be an option. And they love SQL.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,596, Level: 90
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    azepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    3,962
    Points
    84,596
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

    Re: Last semester of classes

    Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    Auditing for a CPA firm may not be an option, but internal auditing would absolutely still be an option. And they love SQL.
    Very true.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM