Sammy Hill
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sammy Hill

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 29,035, Level: 52
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    zdorr40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,349
    Points
    29,035
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 24,147, Level: 47
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    psycln11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,607
    Points
    24,147
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Sammy Hill

    Hey Hillbilly!!

    LOL


    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 222,660, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,523
    Points
    222,660
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 475

    Re: Sammy Hill

    Loved Sam Hill. Johnny would turn around and yell at the crowd "what the hell is Sam Hill doing out there".



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 119,826, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,182
    Points
    119,826
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Sammy Hill

    Gotta love Sammy! He could really work that high post that Johnny loved to run!



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 271,794, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,536
    Points
    271,794
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

    Re: Sammy Hill

    When we played Michigan State at their house with Grayer, Hill, etc., Sam Hill was sitting on the bench at the end of the game and when the camera flashed to him he flipped it off. I have it recorded on VCR..LOL.

    We were up in that game and Grayer went for 39pts. and then we collapsed at the end. Sam let everyone know how he felt about losing that day.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 44,430, Level: 65
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,120
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cydar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,369
    Points
    44,430
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 335

    Re: Sammy Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    When we played Michigan State at their house with Grayer, Hill, etc., Sam Hill was sitting on the bench at the end of the game and when the camera flashed to him he flipped it off. I have it recorded on VCR..LOL.

    We were up in that game and Grayer went for 39pts. and then we collapsed at the end. Sam let everyone know how he felt about losing that day.
    If I remember correctly, Grayer had an awesome 2 handed reverse dunk in that game.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 734,954, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    49,073
    Points
    734,954
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,185
    Given: 1,041

    Re: Sammy Hill

    Sam Hill also had the "alleged" travel in the Big 8 tournament too, didn't he? He was one of my favorites from that team.



  8. #8
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Sammy Hill

    Oh Sammy, great guy, but maddening on the court.

    I remember 87 game vs Dayton at home. Sam had tweaked his ankle in an earlier game, and everytime his guy scored, or he took a bad shot, well if he was a horse, you would have shot him that leg bothered him so much.

    But if he blocked a shot, or made a good play, and could get out and fill the lanes, he was like Secretariat (sp).

    On consecutive trips, he forced a shot, then gave up an offensive rebound for two, and it was a close game. Johnny pulls him for Daryl Spinks (aka hands of stone), Sammy tries to walk to the end of the bench (Johnny was so mad he couldn't speak), Orr grabs him and pulls him down next to him so he can let him have it, when he could speak again. The entire student section, and most of the rest of Hilton simultaneously went OOOOOOHHHHH. Maybe my funniest moment at Hilton.

    If Hornacek would have had one more year, I think that Sammy might have made it in the NBA. He was terrified of Horney, and always played hard with him on the court (I think that it was mostly out of fear).


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 119,826, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,182
    Points
    119,826
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Sammy Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Sam Hill also had the "alleged" travel in the Big 8 tournament too, didn't he? He was one of my favorites from that team.
    I think you are referring to the 1985 Big 8 Championship game that we lost to OU 71-73 (if I recall correctly). I believe Sammy tied the game up but was whistled for traveling (which as I recall, I did not agree with at all!). Boy in 85 we drilled CU and then drilled a top 10 KU team to get to OU. I believe OU was in the top 5 and we should/could have beaten them.

    The 86 Big 8 Tourney was great also...drilled CU, beat NU, and then lost a heart-breaker to KU by the same 71-73 score as the previous year if I recall correctly. I think KU might have been ranked number 1 in the country at the time.

    Those two years really were the start of Kemper being considered "Hilton South".



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  10. #10
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Sammy Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    I think you are referring to the 1985 Big 8 Championship game that we lost to OU 71-73 (if I recall correctly). I believe Sammy tied the game up but was whistled for traveling (which as I recall, I did not agree with at all!). Boy in 85 we drilled CU and then drilled a top 10 KU team to get to OU. I believe OU was in the top 5 and we should/could have beaten them.

    The 86 Big 8 Tourney was great also...drilled CU, beat NU, and then lost a heart-breaker to KU by the same 71-73 score as the previous year if I recall correctly. I think KU might have been ranked number 1 in the country at the time.

    Those two years really were the start of Kemper being considered "Hilton South".
    Actually, it was the game against KU that Sammy was called for the travel.

    We came from 13 down to pull it to withing two, and Hornacek stole a pass from Greg Dreiling. He drove down the court, and Calvin Thompson fouled him at least twice (of course no call), he found Sammy, who drove to the hoop, and got drilled.

    The ref on the call gave a foul, but good old Woody Mayfield had the travel call, and the game was over.

    It was a crusher, but a week later, we got Michigan, and that took some of the sting of the KU game away.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM