Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 279

Undefeatable Utes?

*Note--I wrote this offline Sunday afternoon, but was unable to get CF to load last night...

A funny thing happened on the way to the Top Ten this afternoon…

Punch line? I took a look at Utah’s schedule.

Funny thing was, I was seeing this undefeated, implacable, inimitable 4-0 force. One that was going to waltz into Ames, and show our Cyclones just how the game of football was played. After all, upon checking NCAA stats, the Utes are among national leaders in scoring offense (6th). And both rushing (11th), passing (16th) and total defense (7th)—not to mention pass efficiency defense (17th). What kind of monster had the schedule wrought?

So I determined to check out their schedule, to see what kind of juggernauts these teams had been stymieing.

After all, I knew that they had beaten Pitt in overtime, and the rest of the names on their schedule were certainly familiar. And—Oops!—Utah had blown them all away—as I discovered from the schedule on Utah’s Rivals page.

Well, my first stop was with New Mexico. San Jose State doesn’t have a Rivals page, so the most recent Utah opponent available was the Lobos. You know, that team that that Alford guy coaches in basketball. High seed in the NCAA’s and all that. Surely they had a good team—and a click near that“56-14” score took me to their page. Oops! New Mexico lost to UTEP, and is now 0-5! Obviously closer investigation is required.

Back to Utah’s page, and another click took me to UNLV’s site. Oops! The Runnin’ Rebels lost to instate rival Reno—to drop to 1-4. And their only victory is over—Oops!—the aforementioned winless New Mexico squad.

Now more than a little curious, a stop back to Utah’s page, and another click took me to the team that they had beaten, at home, in overtime. The Pitt Panthers. I have to say that I blew a bit of a sigh of relief to my “Undefeatable Utes” theory when I saw that Pitt is 2-2. After all, they had lost to both Utah and Miami—the good one—and those are both quite respectable teams.

Then I took a look closer. The two Pitt wins were over—Oops!—New Hampshire, and Florida International. Fearsome foes—not! Double Oops!

Now ever more curious, I decided to check out San Jose State. You now, San Jose? Scrappy little team? Puts plenty of players into the NFL? Jack Elway (John’s dad) coached there before taking the Stanford job. Only I had to Google a link for the school, “San Jose State football”. Well, to tell you the truth, the Yahoo page for SJSU was good enough, and I quickly saw that the Spartans were 1-4. A closer look said not only “1-4”, but they had just lost to UC-Davis—Oops!!!—and their only win was over Southern Utah. At home. By the lopsided score of 16-11. Oopsie.

Oops, indeed.

So, Utah’s four opponents thus far have a combined total of four wins. Four. Fifteen losses, if my math is correct.

Huh.

So, um….maybe Utah isn’t so Undefeatable after all?

Last edited by Aclone; 10-04-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 0

Re: Undefeatable Utes?

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    *Note--I wrote this offline Sunday afternoon, but was unable to get CF to load last night...

A funny thing happened on the way to the Top Ten this afternoon…

Punch line? I took a look at Utah’s schedule.

Funny thing was, I was seeing this undefeated, implacable, inimitable 4-0 force. One that was going to waltz into Ames, and show our Cyclones just how the game of football was played. After all, upon checking NCAA stats, the Utes are among national leaders in scoring offense (6th). And both rushing (11th), passing (16th) and total defense (7th)—not to mention pass efficiency defense (17th). What kind of monster had the schedule wrought?

So I determined to check out their schedule, to see what kind of juggernauts these teams had been stymieing.

After all, I knew that they had beaten Pitt in overtime, and the rest of the names on their schedule were certainly familiar. And—Oops!—Utah had blown them all away—as I discovered from the schedule on Utah’s Rivals page.

Well, my first stop was with New Mexico. San Jose State doesn’t have a Rivals page, so the most recent Utah opponent available was the Lobos. You know, that team that that Alford guy coaches in basketball. High seed in the NCAA’s and all that. Surely they had a good team—and a click near that“56-14” score took me to their page. Oops! New Mexico lost to UTEP, and is now 0-5! Obviously closer investigation is required.

Back to Utah’s page, and another click took me to UNLV’s site. Oops! The Runnin’ Rebels lost to instate rival Reno—to drop to 1-4. And their only victory is over—Oops!—the aforementioned winless New Mexico squad.

Now more that a little curious, a stop back to Utah’s page, and another click took me to the team that they had beaten, at home, in overtime. The Pitt Panthers. I have to say that I blew a bit of a sigh of relief to my “Undefeatable Utes” theory when I saw that Pitt is 2-2. After all, they had lost to both Utah and Miami—the good one—and those are both quite respectable teams.

Then I took a look closer. The two Pitt wins were over—Oops!—New Hampshire, and Florida International. Fearsome foes—not! Double Oops!

Now ever more curious, I decided to check out San Jose State. You now, San Jose? Scrappy little team? Puts plenty of players into the NFL? Jack Elway (John’s dad) coached there before taking the Stanford job. Only I had to Google a link for the school, “San Jose State football”. Well, to tell you the truth, the Yahoo page for SJSU was good enough, and I quickly saw that the Spartans were 1-4. A closer look said not only “1-4”, but they had just lost to UC-Davis—Oops!!!—and their only win was over Southern Utah. At home. By the lopsided score of 16-11. Oopsie.

Oops, indeed.

So, Utah’s four opponents thus far have a combined total of four wins. Four. Fifteen losses, if my math is correct.

Huh.

So, um….maybe Utah isn’t so Undefeatable after all?
    oops

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 725

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,197
    Given: 116

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 725

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 295

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

They're good

Prospect
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Look, Utah's schedule has been crap. Nobody can dispute that.

However, thanks to the 52 points ISU put up against Tech, folks (around here anyway) are now starting to re-think the thought that Utah's patsy schedule would continue on until an Oct. 30 date with Air Force.

I don't know much about the Cyclones. I know they had a good win in Lincoln last year, ended the season with a bowl victory and are expected to improve upon that performance this season.

From what I see, ISU looks like they have some good athletes and on Saturday, the run game looked good.

Max Hall hates my baby.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by salUTE65 View Post

However, thanks to the 52 points ISU put up against Tech, folks (around here anyway) are now starting to re-think the thought that Utah's patsy schedule would continue on until an Oct. 30 date with Air Force.

I don't know much about the Cyclones. I know they had a good win in Lincoln last year, ended the season with a bowl victory and are expected to improve upon that performance this season.

From what I see, ISU looks like they have some good athletes and on Saturday, the run game looked good.
    We expect to be better overall this year, but we have a meatgrinder of a schedule. The general thought here is that if we can get back to (and win) a bowl this year, it will be a successful season.

An upset win against a top 10 team will put us right in position.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by salUTE65 View Post

Forgive us, we are simply trying to make ourselves feel better about playing the No. 10 ranked team in the country... and we are giddy as lil school girls that we beat Texas Tech. Not just that we beat them, but HOW we beat them. So we have a bit of confidence now. We had little to none a week or two ago.

It'll be a good game. Enjoy your time in Ames and I think you'll find the fans very hospitable. You'll probably be drinking with them after the game regardless of the outcome.

"The difference between keeping what you have all to yourself and coveting what someone else has lies within your willingness to give versus your desire to take"

- temperflare

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 114

Wow, I'm glad the Ute visitors so far are civil. It's going to be an amusing week around here, last week Tech was horrible and and lock for a "w" but beating them makes us competitive with a top 10 team who's been one of the top programs in the country the last 4 or 5 years.

Rookie
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The Utes are a well coached team that will bring it on Saturday night. I always cross my fingers every time I walk into JTS because I never know what Cyclone team will show up. We've seen how good they can play (Texas T) and how bad (Iowa). I'd love walking in the Jack with no worries, but I think at this point I'm still crossing my fingers just in case.

Loyal Sons for ever True

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 605
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 57

Utah is very good defensively and their passing game will give us problems. We will need to have the running game going and get a good pass rush to have a chance.

Go Cyclones!!

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 335
    Given: 208

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    Wow, I'm glad the Ute visitors so far are civil. It's going to be an amusing week around here, last week Tech was horrible and and lock for a "w" but beating them makes us competitive with a top 10 team who's been one of the top programs in the country the last 4 or 5 years.
    Who was saying that game was a lock? We were pretty beat down from KSU still, I think KU was the only team everyone still had pencilled in as a win.

Rookie
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jay moe View Post
    Utah is very good defensively and their passing game will give us problems. We will need to have the running game going and get a good pass rush to have a chance.
    Pass rush has been a problem. I think we're very low on the list for sacks,rushed passes and flushes out of the pocket.

Loyal Sons for ever True