Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 22

Talking WHY DO WE SPEAK ENGLISH!

Many of us are bi-lingual, many aren't. Certainly, quite a talent to have. Vice Admiral Gerald L. Hoewing, Iowa State University grad was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S. , English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies. At a cocktail reception in Geneva, he found himself standing with a large group of officers that included personnel from most of the countries.
    Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages , Americans learn only English. He then asked "Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?"
    Without hesitating, Admiral Hoewing replied, "Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."
    You could have heard a pin drop.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 298

Re: WHY DO WE SPEAK ENGLISH!

WOW - love it!!!!

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone Brian View Post
    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." - General George S. Patton

When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

"Have some french rifles for sale, never used dropped once."

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

"Going to war without the French Army is like going hunting without your accordian" - H. Norman Schwartzkopf

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone Brian View Post
    Many of us are bi-lingual, many aren't. Certainly, quite a talent to have. Vice Admiral Gerald L. Hoewing, Iowa State University grad was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S. , English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies. At a cocktail reception in Geneva, he found himself standing with a large group of officers that included personnel from most of the countries.
    Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages , Americans learn only English. He then asked "Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?"
    Without hesitating, Admiral Hoewing replied, "Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."
    I suspect Admiral Hoewing probably would not be pleased having his name bantered around in this kind of rubbish.

This folktale first surfaced circa 2004. To no ones surprise, this writing may also be found in the archives of the College Conservative Movement (A look into the conservative college mind). See link, third story down.

Archives for the Month of June 2006 on College Conservative Movement

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

On a slightly more serious note about it... I like to point out to people I´ve met from around the world here in Spain that to find a place that speaks another language in Europe, you only have to drive 2-3 hours in most places, or take the EURail a couple of hours... many of our states are as big as many of their countries

In the US (which I´m looking forward to returning to...), I could drive for a day and not find a place that speaks another language. We´ve got a little French to our north, and Spanish to the south, but really not a whole lot either way...

where as say... some people I heard speaking English on the beach were from Sweeden, Austria, Germany, and the Netherlands, and all were atleast tri-lingual: Their native tounge, English (which they´ve had to study since they were 8 or 9), and atleast one of their neighbor´s languages, plus they were learning spanish. Some spoke even more, but that was because they were from really small places. I mean if every state in the US spoke a different language, I imagine we´d all speak 3 or 4 languages as well, but the fact is, we have 1 language for a similar land mass in which they have 23 different languages

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Why are the streets of Paris lined with trees?
    So the Germans can march in the shade.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Also on a more serious note, I think that there should be an international effort to incorporate sign language along with learning the native language of a country. It would be nice to be able to travel abroad (to any country), and have a universal way to communicate.

Imaging being able to travel all of Europe, and you would be able to communicate in every country while only having to learn one language.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Also on a more serious note, I think that there should be an international effort to incorporate sign language along with learning the native language of a country. It would be nice to be able to travel abroad (to any country), and have a universal way to communicate.

Imaging being able to travel all of Europe, and you would be able to communicate in every country while only having to learn one language.
    Rep for you... nice idea!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post

Oh there is an international finger gesture that is recongnized most everywhere... Don´t believe me? Try crossing a street when you aren´t supposed to

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    On a slightly more serious note about it... I like to point out to people I´ve met from around the world here in Spain that to find a place that speaks another language in Europe, you only have to drive 2-3 hours in most places, or take the EURail a couple of hours... many of our states are as big as many of their countries

In the US (which I´m looking forward to returning to...), I could drive for a day and not find a place that speaks another language. We´ve got a little French to our north, and Spanish to the south, but really not a whole lot either way...

where as say... some people I heard speaking English on the beach were from Sweeden, Austria, Germany, and the Netherlands, and all were atleast tri-lingual: Their native tounge, English (which they´ve had to study since they were 8 or 9), and atleast one of their neighbor´s languages, plus they were learning spanish. Some spoke even more, but that was because they were from really small places. I mean if every state in the US spoke a different language, I imagine we´d all speak 3 or 4 languages as well, but the fact is, we have 1 language for a similar land mass in which they have 23 different languages
    I could drive 5 minutes across town and find spanish speaking only.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I had to learn to at least understand and speak a bit of redneck while living in western Nebraska......

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Try being married to someone from the east coast. I can't tell you how many times I had no idea what she was saying when we first met.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Spanish is growing yes... but the meat packing plants hardly account for the bulk of the country... and while signs are starting to be posted in Spanish and English... it´s nothing like some areas around here where signs are posted in 4 languages, sometimes a few more

Not to argue that we don´t have a need to learn more languages, due to immigration a varriety of languages would be useful for Americans to know, I certainly have a lot more sympathy for non-english speakers that come to the US because of my experience in Spain (I don´t speak much Spanish, and no Catalan/Valencian). It is very hard to be a non-native speaker in a place where no one speaks your language either

In addition to Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Japanese are also languages that may be more common in the US, with the occasional community of European languages.

My point though was, on a whole we encounter fewer people that cannot communicate in our first language than do many other people in the world. As a gentlemen I talked to from the Netherlands pointed out, we usually never "need" to communicate in another language, so we don´t bother to try and learn. I tied that in with it´s possibly due to geography reasons (in addition to English being widely spoken anyways)