Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

All ISU Jon Miller Show on Monday

The entire show, as long as everything works right with me putting the audio into the thingamajig late Sunday night, will be ISU football.

All of it.

2-4pm.

I am really looking forward to attending ISU's media day on Saturday. It;'s one of the cool things I like about this new task that I have, getting to know the folks at ISU. I mean that with 100% sincerity. I like Mac, I like Jamie and the ISU fans that I have talked with face to face, I like them too.

I received a few emails from some ISU fans regarding KXNO not being in KC for the B12 media day event, but being in Chicago for the coaches portion of that event.

Simple answer: The B12 chose to host their event over a three day span. Four teams per day. The B10 has all of their coaches talk for 15 minutes, one right after another. Logistically, the B12 is hard to pull off.

I will certainly lobby for it next year, very early, to see if we can't find a sponsor for it. But the radio business is also about dollars, cents and sense.

It was not any slight of ISU; it's just how the B12 does things, it makes it real hard to cover the entire event. You are talking about a lot of money to do that.

Prospect
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    I received a few emails from some ISU fans regarding KXNO not being in KC for the B12 media day event, but being in Chicago for the coaches portion of that event.

Simple answer: The B12 chose to host their event over a three day span. Four teams per day. The B10 has all of their coaches talk for 15 minutes, one right after another. Logistically, the B12 is hard to pull off.

I will certainly lobby for it next year, very early, to see if we can't find a sponsor for it. But the radio business is also about dollars, cents and sense.

It was not any slight of ISU; it's just how the B12 does things, it makes it real hard to cover the entire event. You are talking about a lot of money to do that.
    a 1 day trip to KC to cover mac's appearance wouldn't be "real hard". in fact it would be far less taxing than covering the big 10 in chicago.

stop with the excuses. you just didn't try very hard, jon.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonejunkie View Post
    a 1 day trip to KC to cover mac's appearance wouldn't be "real hard". in fact it would be far less taxing than covering the big 10 in chicago.

stop with the excuses. you just didn't try very hard, jon.
    Amen

KXNO is lame. And the 'hosts' on the current shows aren't trying very hard.

That paycheck must really be worth something. A few tanks of gas maybe...

Walk On
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Mr. Miller

I thank you for coming on an ISU board and telling your thoughts and reasons regarding the ISU media day. I will definitely tune in on Monday to hear your "All ISU Show". It will be a nice day in Ames on Saturday and I hope you enjoy the ISU media day. I wish I could be there but I have other plans so I look forward to hearing your Opinions and thoughts on Monday.

P.S. There is a large ISU/Iowa golf event in Perry, IA during the week, or the week before the big rivalry game. Even if you don't golf, I think it would be neat if you broadcasted live from the golf course. This event gets bigger every year with celebreties present from both the Iowa and ISU athletic departments. I hope you will consider to attend.

Thanks,
    Drews79

Drews79

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Guys, honestly, put on your big boy hats for once in your life. So he didn't go to KC to cover Big 12 media day, boo-freakin'-hoo. He's giving us 2 hours of pure ISU coverage, which I'm sure doesn't appeal much to his normal constituents either.

There is so much coverage of media day through so many outlets, it shouldn't really matter if he is there or not. He even replayed a huge about 20 minute portion of Mac's interview. Some of you guys are just being jerks about this whole thing now.

I do have a quick question for you though Jon, I'm starting a new job on Monday and there is pretty much no way for me to ever listen to your show for a long time. Is it going to be podcast or replayed ever? I'd like to hear some of your shows, especially once the seasons get underway.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45

Thanks...

Easy guys...
    Thanks John for the update.

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2
    I agree with BryceC and HandSanitizer. Thanks for the info John. Hopefully you see some of these later posts and not just those ridiculous first two...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 548
    Given: 346
    Speaking of successful radio shows the Ttravis Justice Big Sports Show on 590 am weekdays from 9-11 got a plug on ISU listeners. He said his listener audience has recently been going up pretty good in the Des Moines area.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    You guys need to calm down and give Jon a chance, he may be a hawk fan (we'll have to work on that) but he does a great job of keeping things fair and I enjoy listening to his show. I am really looking forward to hearing our 2 hours of cyclone talk. Isnt this what you guys want??? A hawk fan is going to talk Cyclone football for 2 hours! Jon, I applaud you.

God Bless America

Walk On
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    I'm glad this thread got righted fairly quickly instead of the Hawkeye/Miller-bashing thread hijacking that almost took place. I appreciate the time you're giving us, for one. Keep up the good work. Jon, I wonder if you have your list of guests you've had on since you started. I'd be interested to know because I've been pleasantly surprised; what's the ratio of Cyclone guests versus Hawkeye guests (and I mean bona-fide institution afiliated guys like Mac versus Ferentz, Pollard versus Barta, etc.)? Much to my appreciation, I'd be willing to guess it's an even 1:1, if not a slight lean to ISU. I'll hear you Monday.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3
    I agree. Jon has done a great job of being fair, all things considered. Don't hate on the guy because of the resources he is given by the station and the logistics dictated by the Big Twelve. I appreciate him coming here and letting us know the why's and wherefore's. I look forward to his show every day and other than an occasional jab, he's very fair to our teams and fans. Thanks and keep it up, Jon!

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I'll add my hat to the pile- I'm still new to the whole "sports radio" concept. I've just started listening to your show in the last three weeks, and I do enjoy it a lot. Thanks for the update. I think most people here understand the Big Ten vs. Big 12 issue and agree that it would be harder to cover in a similar fashion. Keep up the good work.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Jon, I wonder if you have your list of guests you've had on since you started. I'd be interested to know because I've been pleasantly surprised; what's the ratio of Cyclone guests versus Hawkeye guests (and I mean bona-fide institution afiliated guys like Mac versus Ferentz, Pollard versus Barta, etc.)?

ISU: Pollard (twice), McCarney, McDermott
    IOWA: Ferentz, Jack Dahm (baseball coach...sorry, no equal time here), Gary Dolphin
    Van Coleman to talk both Iowa and ISU recruiting, same with Josh Clark
    Phil Steele to talk national, B10, B12, Iowa and ISU
    Beat writers from ISU KSU, Mizzou, Nebraska, OSU, Michigan, MSU, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota
    Brent Blum of CN, twice
    Took on the Basketball Travellers topic and sided with ISU, called Pollard to get him to clarify it for me before I went on the air
    Will have Barta on next week
    I am sure I am forgetting some folks...but I agree that it has been pretty even with guest related angles regarding Iowa and ISU.

This fall, I hope to have Heft on, Walters, Blum, ISU Coordinators, McCarney (once or twice, tops, as he is real busy and i dont want to burden him), Fenelly, Sanderson.

Of course, there will be Hawkeye related guests, like Ed Podolak, Gary Dolphin...but will also have a B12 weekly media guy, one from Big Ten (from the Chicago Tribune), reports from writers from the schools that have the big games that week from both leagues, etc.

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for listening. We likely wont always agree, but I will try to be fair.

Starter
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 840
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2
    jon lost to deace in a ncaa 07 game at a tournament last week on a culbertson kick. hopefully that will be the ending to this years game too.(sorry jon)

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 359
    Given: 150
    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

This fall, I hope to have Heft on, Walters, Blum, ISU Coordinators, McCarney (once or twice, tops, as he is real busy and i dont want to burden him), Fenelly, Sanderson.
    Keep up the good work Jon. I enjoy listening to your show. Just some listener feedback...I love it when you (and other shows) get the play-by-play or color guys on. They know tons about the program and players and unlike the coaches, they will actually speak there mind to an extent. I really enjoy hearing Jon Walters. And I always loved it when Keith Murphy was on Deace, any chance of getting him on too?