Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Curious PSU fan!

Hey Cyclone fans,

Just a PSU fan wishing you good luck and in search of a few answers.

I'm here since Chris Babb transferred to you guys earlier this year. He was a rapidly developing player for the Lions, and I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised when he suits up. Every PSU fan I've talked to thinks Babb is a significant loss for PSU.

I also saw a Ross Travis thread on here, he recently verballed to Penn State. He seems to be a very solid recruit, but I'm being cautiously optimistic here. Whats your take on him?

I've browsed around, and it looks like you guys are predicted to finish last -- bottom 3 at best (very similar to PSU). What is your starting five looking like this season?

I saw that you guys picked up Sledge recently. I am also a Seton Hall fan, and most of us wanted Sledge, but he dropped us in the early goings (I'm assuming). So it looks like ISU will be down this season, but are things looking up with the incoming transfers of Babb, Allen (MSU), Sledge, and some other recruits?

I'll be following you guys a little bit this season, and definitely try to catch some games when Babb suits up (I'm assuming hes sitting out this season.. lol).

So from another bottom-feeding-BCS-basketball-fan,
    Cheers!

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Curious PSU fan!

Quote Originally Posted by noobd View Post
    Hey Cyclone fans,

Just a PSU fan wishing you good luck and in search of a few answers.

I'm here since Chris Babb transferred to you guys earlier this year. He was a rapidly developing player for the Lions, and I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised when he suits up. Every PSU fan I've talked to thinks Babb is a significant loss for PSU.

I also saw a Ross Travis thread on here, he recently verballed to Penn State. He seems to be a very solid recruit, but I'm being cautiously optimistic here. Whats your take on him?

I've browsed around, and it looks like you guys are predicted to finish last -- bottom 3 at best (very similar to PSU). What is your starting five looking like this season?

I saw that you guys picked up Sledge recently. I am also a Seton Hall fan, and most of us wanted Sledge, but he dropped us in the early goings (I'm assuming). So it looks like ISU will be down this season, but are things looking up with the incoming transfers of Babb, Allen (MSU), Sledge, and some other recruits?

I'll be following you guys a little bit this season, and definitely try to catch some games when Babb suits up (I'm assuming hes sitting out this season.. lol).

So from another bottom-feeding-BCS-basketball-fan,
    Cheers!
    This statement alone makes me think troll. But then I realized it's half-true of late.

But back to the post itself, we have Chris Babb, Chris Allen, Anthony Booker (SIU, 4* out of HS), and Royce White (Minn, 5* out of HS) coming in for 2011 as transfers alone. We also have Elgin Cook (95 grade on scout) and Tavon Sledge (as you already mentioned) as high school recruits along with a less highly rated guard in Anthony Odunsi. We have a JUCO guy coming in, in 2011, as well that should be our starting PG (Tyrus McGee).

Basically, this season looks bad. It really does. But in 2011-12, we're all very optimistic and have reason to be. That team looks very talented and has the potential to do great things.

This year's starting 5 will be something like...

PG - D Garrett
    SG - Scott Christopherson
    SF - Melvin Ejim
    PF - Jamie Vanderbeken
    C - Calvin Godfrey

That's just my opinion though. We could go a LOT smaller and throw in a guard at the 3, move Ejim to the 4, and JVB to the 5.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I forgot to add that as talented as we all hope Babb is, he'll more than likely be coming off of the bench for us in 2011-12. That's how good we expect to be.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Sorry, not trying to troll - just the vibe that I got from some articles and posts around here.

I wasn't sure if you guys were going to be loaded this season or next. So you have those 4 transfers, and the two recruits (Sledge and Cook). Hopefully the players will gel nicely on the court. Seton Hall had that problem last year with 3 transfers and a few recruits.

Who would Babb be competing with at the 2? Would ISU occasionally play a 3 guard lineup if you guys are stacked at guard?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Sorry, not trying to troll - just the vibe that I got from some articles and posts around here.

I wasn't sure if you guys were going to be loaded this season or next. So you have those 4 transfers, and the two recruits (Sledge and Cook). Hopefully the players will gel nicely on the court. Seton Hall had that problem last year with 3 transfers and a few recruits.

Who would Babb be competing with at the 2? Would ISU occasionally play a 3 guard lineup if you guys are stacked at guard?
    Sorry, I might've mislead you with what I said in my post. We actually have 4 recruits incoming recruits for 2011 - McGee, Cook, Odusni, and Sledge. Sledge and Cook are relatively highly touted and McGee and Odunsi were a bit more under the radar, so to speak.

But to answer your question about Babb, he'll probably be competing at the 2 behind Chris Allen (MSU), BUT I could definitely envision him playing at the 3. He's a bigger guard, for sure, so that wouldn't be too much of a problem theoretically. I've also heard he's a very good defender.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by CloneState1028 View Post
    This statement alone makes me think troll. But then I realized it's half-true of late.
    that's a hell of an understatement

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47

Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post
    that's a hell of an understatement

1995 23-11 6-8
    1996 24-9 9-5
    1997 22-9 10-6
    1998 12-18 5-11
    1999 15-15 6-10
    2000 32-5 14-2
    2001 25-6 13-3
    2002 12-19 4-10
    2003 17-14 5-11
    2004 20-13 7-9
    2005 19-12 9-7
    2006 16-14 6-10
    2007 15-16 6-10
    2008 14-18 4-12
    2009 15-17 4-12
    2010 15-17 4-12

Last edited by JUKEBOX; 09-30-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

We'll have the best scout team in the country next year - seriously. Hopefully we'll at least beat up on Nebraska and CU in league play.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 349
    Given: 745

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    1995 23-11 6-8
    1996 24-9 9-5
    1997 22-9 10-6
    1998 12-18 5-11
    1999 15-15 6-10
    2000 32-5 14-2
    2001 25-6 13-3
    2002 12-19 4-10
    2003 17-14 5-11
    2004 20-13 7-9
    2005 19-12 9-7
    2006 16-14 6-10
    2007 15-16 6-10
    2008 14-18 4-12
    2009 15-17 4-12
    2010 15-17 4-12

06 was Morgan, but we see your point.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneState1028 View Post
    Sorry, I might've mislead you with what I said in my post. We actually have 4 recruits incoming recruits for 2011 - McGee, Cook, Odusni, and Sledge. Sledge and Cook are relatively highly touted and McGee and Odunsi were a bit more under the radar, so to speak.

But to answer your question about Babb, he'll probably be competing at the 2 behind Chris Allen (MSU), BUT I could definitely envision him playing at the 3. He's a bigger guard, for sure, so that wouldn't be too much of a problem theoretically. I've also heard he's a very good defender.
    Thats what I was getting at with the 3 guard question. He was pretty much just a spot up shooter for the first season and a quarter, but towards the end of his stay in State College he started to drive to the basket and develop a mid-range game. If he builds on that, he can definitely play the 3.

Alright, I was just try to get a feel for your program straight from the horses mouth, and not some generalized Yahoo / ESPN reports.

Do you guys have any info on Ross Travis? Curious to hear from a fan base that doesn't wear B&W goggles.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Thats what I was getting at with the 3 guard question. He was pretty much just a spot up shooter for the first season and a quarter, but towards the end of his stay in State College he started to drive to the basket and develop a mid-range game. If he builds on that, he can definitely play the 3.

Alright, I was just try to get a feel for your program straight from the horses mouth, and not some generalized Yahoo / ESPN reports.

Do you guys have any info on Ross Travis? Curious to hear from a fan base that doesn't wear B&W goggles.

I remember when Greg Mcd was here that Ross Travis was the highest rated recruit we were after. I have Iowa friends that we're pretty bummed he went to PSU. I don't think he'll be a program changer, but he should be very solid. Any time you beat an in conference team for a recruit you should be pretty happy even if it was just Iowa. Might be a little skinny right now to contribute in the Big 10

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    06 was Morgan, but we see your point.
    Whoops..

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Yes13 View Post
    I remember when Greg Mcd was here that Ross Travis was the highest rated recruit we were after. I have Iowa friends that we're pretty bummed he went to PSU. I don't think he'll be a program changer, but he should be very solid. Any time you beat an in conference team for a recruit you should be pretty happy even if it was just Iowa. Might be a little skinny right now to contribute in the Big 10
    Hes 6'8 205, said he plans to be 210/215 when he laces up next November.

He mentioned Minnesota was interested in him but they didn't offer because they didn't really need his position. Hopefully there is some truth to that.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Hopefully PSU and ISU both do better than expected.

Walk On
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Thanks for the feedback guys! Hopefully PSU and ISU both do better than expected.
    Well, I think we can all agree on this, "GO STATE!"

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 38

I personally think that Babb will play the 3 in 2011. ISU has what is supposed to be a pretty good 3 in FR Melvin Ejim this year who will likely be a starter. At the 2, they have returning starter Scott Christopherson and JUCO DeAndre Phillips this year, so they'll both be SRs next year along with the MSU transfer Allen. IMO Babb is going to be a 3 and will compete with the Soph Ejim and the FR Cook for time.

I know that ISU was hot after Travis for awhile, but I don't think that Hoiberg was as high on him and with all the transfers, they had other needs in 2011 (back court).