Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 16

Boat advice

I am going to buy a boat. I have a chance to purchase a new Glastron 205. It is a new boat, but a hold over model.

My question to you is... Is Glastron a quality boat? I am 55 years old and want something that will last me through the next 10 - 15 years.

I don't need a "Cadillac" boat, but one that is reliable and not going to cost me a fortune in maintenence and repair.

Your opinions are valued.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 3

Re: Boat advice

Like most things if you take care of it then it will last. Does it have a wood floor or a fiberglass floor? Also what type of outdrive does it have?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by SLCyclone View Post
    I am going to buy a boat. I have a chance to purchase a new Glastron 205. It is a new boat, but a hold over model.

My question to you is... Is Glastron a quality boat? I am 55 years old and want something that will last me through the next 10 - 15 years.

I don't need a "Cadillac" boat, but one that is reliable and not going to cost me a fortune in maintenence and repair.

I have boated all my life and I don't think Glastron is what would be considered a "quality" boat. Glastron has always been an entry level boat.

Now, that all being said, does it mean Glastron is a bad boat? I don't think so, but my bet is you have to buy it right or will be worth nothing later. If you own for 10-15 then that isn't a valid argument.

Where are you located? Try traveling to Okoboji for a weekend and shop the dealers here and get opinions from them.

Boats are fun though, so have fun.

Addict
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,780
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 36

I don't need a "Cadillac" boat, but one that is reliable and not going to cost me a fortune in maintenance and repair.

Middle of the road.

My $.02. If you want it to last 10 - 15 years take a look at several models/brands and get exactly what you want. Put a lot of thought in to what you want to do with it.

Fishing? Tubing? Cruising? How will you tow?

Fanatic #25

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Middle of the road.

My $.02. If you want it to last 10 - 15 years take a look at several models/brands and get exactly what you want. Put a lot of thought in to what you want to do with it.

This. Don't rush out and buy one just to get one because you will probably regret it.. You will look back and say I wish I had this or that.

The only thing I really know about Glastrons are that their big selling point is making a boat with a lot of features and style like higher end models, but with the smaller price tag. You figure out where they cut the costs, but I would imagine they are a couple steps down from your top-end boats when it comes to ride, durability, and material quality.

Like people said before its going to be a lot about how you take care of it that makes it last as long as you want it to. But make sure you look around and do your research first.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Boats devalue very very fast, I'd buy a used boat. If you buy new and are unhappy with it, you're pretty much screwed and will have to live with it. My father bought a used 1999 21'4" Bryant boat with a Mercruiser 454 I/O in 2001 and probably saved $20,000+ by buying a boat that was 2 years older. It still runs great to this day and we take it out on Lake Superior all the time and put plenty of hours on the engine.

Glastron is a good boat, definitely no Cobalt or Crownline but better than your average Bayliner. I'd check into Bryant Boats (probably same price range as Glastron), they have no wood in their designs so rotting is something that you wouldn't have to worry about.

Also, buy a boat with a good powerful engine, it's terrible to open it up and max at 40 mph, not satisfying... Hell, my dad was thrilled doing 65 mph with his 7.4 litre 454 at first, but in his next purchase he is probably going to do a 454 magnum (but I heard they stopped making the big block 454s) or step it up to an 8.1 litre 501 and do 75+ to show those cigarette boats up.

I'm not saying you have to go all out and put in a big block, but I'd suggest at least have a V-8 small block otherwise you'll regret it. A V-6 is underwhelming when doing watersports especially if you're pulling a skier that weighs 200lbs+, makes it very difficult for them to get up.

If skiing/watersports will be the main use for your boat, than an outboard engine with at least 200 hp won't disappoint, outboards are 2nd to inboards for skiing (will have to spend a lot of money to get a good inboard these days like a Malibu or Ski Nautique or Mastercraft).

I'm under the impression you just want it for family fun/recreation/sitting out and drinking beers but all I'm saying is you'll be stuck with it for awhile unless you're loaded so make sure you make the right decisions.

EDIT: Bryants are probably little a bit more pricey than a Glastron

Last edited by cycoOJfan89; 09-29-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Middle of the road.

I agree a lot with this statement.

Here are some of my thoughts and how I would rank your basic runabout in this area.
    Cobalt – Top of the Line and top price (not worth it IMO)
    Crownline – Above average and a step down from Cobalt in quality and price (great entry level boat but can be higher $$$, also higher quality but not Cobalt quality)
    Galstron and Rinker (fancy Bayliner) – Just below a Crownline
    Bayliner – A step down from Galstron

You can’t go wrong if you have a Cobalt. If I recall, they warrant against hull cracking out to 10 years. Very impressive but you pay for that. Most others care a 1-5 year warranty.
    Mechanically, the engines are all made by the same manufacture, either Mercury or VolvoPenta so the reliability should be relatively the same. If you go with an outboard then I don’t know much about those and there are more engines to choose from.

As for overall package and no hassle, the further you go down the list above, the greater the risk of issues you’ll have to deal with over the life of the boat. You may get lucky and get a boat lower on the list that just has great fit and finish. You also may get a Cobalt that has more minor issues than you care to deal with but those are few and far between.

As stated above, don’t just jump into it. Look around and go shopping on some of the web sites for used boats. You can find some very, very, very good deals out there. Here are a few sites I look through from time to time.

http://www.boattrader.com/
    http://glencovemarine.com/listings/index.php?cur_page=0&action=searchresults&sortby=Make&sorttype=ASC
    http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/

If transporting from a distance is an issue 1 time, let me know and I can help you out. Have truck and will tow J See pics of my boat in my profile. Love it.

Hopefully this helps.

You can have it Fast, Cheap, Reliable.....Please pick TWO!

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

There are a lot of good used boats on the market. I would take your time, look around and get something you can enjoy. Look at the various lengths of the boat and what you want to do with it. If you plan on hauling around 5-7 people some of the time I would suggest at least a 21ft. boat. Boats set different in the water as well. I have a 23ft. Sea Ray and it sets up high out of the water. A friend of mine has a Four Winns and we always get soaked riding in it because it sets deep in the water. I would also suggest at least a 5L motor if you are hauling around people and want to ski, tube.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 19

It's always better to have a friend with a boat than own the boat yourself IMO.

Money pit.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    It's always better to have a friend with a boat than own the boat yourself IMO.

Money pit.
    BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

The first question you need to ask yourself:

Is the boat going to have a striper pole on it?

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneGB View Post
    BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand

Best 2 days i owned a boat, the day i bought and the day i sold. Bad investment.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 46

I agree with the above statements. Middle of the road boat, but nothing wrong with it. Same motor and outdrive options as upper end and lower end boats. With that size of a boat if you want to ski or tube I'd get a V8 option. Check out iboats, those guys on that forum have a lot of boat knowledge.

Prospect
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Should be a good family boat. Good brand, not the best, but the price compensates. 205 is good size, should accomodate 6-8 people easily, easy to tow behind the truck, should handle well. Not a fishing boat, not a competition ski boat, but you can ski behind it.

I have a Reinell 205 and really like the boat. They are very similar.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It all depends on what you plan on doing. Fishing, hunting, recreational?I am a hardcore fisherman. We have a 2005 Lund Mr. Pike and I love that boat to death. Then again it's all about what you plan on using it for and how much you can shell out. I've never heard anything good about Glastrons. If you want a good quality boat look no farther than a Lund. But of course with quality comes a high price tag.