Thread: Detroit Lives

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,183
    Given: 109

Detroit Lives

pretty good documentary on the music/art scene in Detroit, both past and present. Kind of takes the approach that Detroit's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Man, I love me some MC5.

Detroit Lives VBS Part 1 of 3 | VBS Newsroom | VBS.TV

Detroit Lives VBS Part 2 of 3 | VBS Newsroom | VBS.TV

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 578
    Given: 401

Re: Detroit Lives

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    pretty good documentary on the music/art scene in Detroit, both past and present. Kind of takes the approach that Detroit's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Man, I love me some MC5.

Detroit Lives VBS Part 1 of 3 | VBS Newsroom | VBS.TV

Detroit Lives VBS Part 2 of 3 | VBS Newsroom | VBS.TV
    I have to concur that Detroit isn't as bad as the nation makes it out to be. Sure, it has severe unemployment issues (mostly because the area didn't diversify its industrial base - leaning solely on the auto industry - an issue the area is trying to rectify) and has significant crime issues. But since the odds of my family moving up there to follow my job within the next year increases with each and every passing day, I've been up there to visit three times over the last 6 months. I was actually surprised by what I saw. Downtown Detroit was actually one of the cleanest downtowns I have seen, and felt completely safe driving back to my hotel after a Tigers game that ended late. The suburbs have some great houses, and considering the housing market in the metro area, are at absolute steals. Yes, Detroit does have its rough areas (particularly the 8 Mile and Southfield stretches), however, if you're ripping Detroit for rough areas you probably haven't been in the south or east ends of Des Moines lately (which are constantly ripped on CF). Basically, just like any city, it's got its rough areas and its nice areas, it's got things to do there, and, for the most part, as long as you don't go looking for trouble it's not going to come find you.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 3

Re: Detroit Lives

I read an article recently on some tech hiring picking up there due to lower employment costs.

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.