I am so excited that we continue to be ranked in the top ten for attendance in WBB, and don't get me wrong, Bill has done amazing things in his time here, but why can't we recruit more top players from around the nation?
Please don't take this as a slam on the players or the coaching staff, I have gone to see more women's games in the past few years then men's games, including the second round loss to Georgia in this past NCAA tourney. I just think that the fan support and the coaching staff that we have should be a huge selling point.
AMES, Iowa – Iowa State women’s basketball ranked seventh nationally in NCAA Division I attendance, the NCAA officially released recently. The Cyclones averaged 8,906 fans per game to rank in the top 10 for the eighth straight season.
“To again finish in the top 10 nationally in attendance shows that our fans appreciate the efforts of our players and staff,” head coach Bill Fennelly said. “They have created one of the most special environments in the country at Hilton Coliseum. They make it a fun place to play and watch college basketball.”
The Big 12 Conference was the Division I conference attendance leader for the eighth consecutive year. The Big 12 set a NCAA record with a total attendance of 1,023,576 fans for an average of 5,170 per game last season. Iowa State was one of three teams from the league ranked in the NCAA’s top 10. Texas Tech ranked third (10,668), while Oklahoma was fourth (10,437). Ten of the conference’s 12 teams ranked in the top 50 nationally and six were in the top 25.
“It is amazing that for the eighth straight year the Big 12 led all conferences in attendance,” Fennelly added. “In a relatively short time the Big 12 has really established itself as a premier conference and the fans have certainly shown their support. Our student-athletes play in a great environment every night.”
Cyclone fans also ranked fifth nationally in total attendance for all games. A total of 240,296 fans saw Iowa State play last season at home, on the road or at a neutral site. And the Cyclones had the ninth largest attendance increase from the previous season. The Cyclones’ home attendance rose from 7,667 in 2005-06 to 8,906 in 2006-07, giving Iowa State an increase of 1,239 fans per game.
Tennessee was the NCAA Division I leader last season with an average of 14,678 fans per game.
Iowa State finished the 2006-07 season in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Cyclones went 26-8 on the season, collecting the third most wins in school history. ISU finished tied for fourth in the Big 12 regular-season standings and made it to the championship game of the Big 12 Championship before earning its eighth NCAA Tournament berth and the 10th postseason bid in the last 11 years.