Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 23,291, Level: 46
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    psycln11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,600
    Points
    23,291
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    DesMoinesRegister.com

    ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision
    BY TOM WITOSKY
    REGISTER STAFF WRITER
    June 29, 2007

    Upon further review, a group of Iowa State faculty members are more comfortable with Gregory Geoffroy’s approval of a religious advising position for the Cyclone athletic department than they initially thought.

    William David is a music professor and leader of a petition drive that challenged a request from football coach Gene Chizik to have a non-department paid chaplain on his staff.

    “After reviewing President Geoffroy’s statement more closely, I am a lot more encouraged that he listened to all sides of this issue and made a sincere effort to make sure that this very important and critical issue was addressed appropriately,” David said today.

    Geoffroy gave his approval Thursday to establishing a “volunteer life skills” position for the department to provide faith-based counseling and referrals to athletes as long as the adviser doesn’t coerce, directly or indirectly, student-athletes to participate in any type of religious activity.


    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    Another instance of a vocal minority imposing their will upon the silent majority.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 12,576, Level: 33
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    SlyCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Liberty, Iowa
    Posts
    804
    Points
    12,576
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    Sounds like someone is trying to cover their arse...

    It's no different than what was requested...just different language.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,565, Level: 73
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,485
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,523
    Points
    55,565
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    Quote Originally Posted by SlyCy View Post
    Sounds like someone is trying to cover their arse...

    It's no different than what was requested...just different language.
    It proves they were never paying attention in the first place. And then they didn't even listen to what was being said by the Athletic Council when they made their recommendation. Not exactly shedding a good light on said academia. Then again, he is just a music teacher..



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 18,636, Level: 41
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    TxCycloneFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bastrop TX
    Posts
    1,483
    Points
    18,636
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    I took piano lessons from him back in the 80s. I still can't play the #$%%ing piano.


    Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 380,795, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    55,552
    Points
    380,795
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 114

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    The losers are trying to turn defeat into victory. Just like Congress.


    Hope Wild Bill the Killer Deal David is not the volunteer.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 95,063, Level: 96
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,185
    Points
    95,063
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    As stated in a leter to Geoffroy and in response to two recent fundraising calls, all my donations will now be exclusive to the athletic department as long as David is employed by the university.

    In a somewhat realted topic, I would like to encourage everyone to stop Balding Denial Syndrome. The chemical imbalance of disproportional hair weight distribution often results in intellectual convenience and naysaying. Be on the lookout for windowless vans and the tendency to oppose ideas without offering alternatives. The affected can usually be found looking for opportunities for self promotion through knee jerk reactions.






  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 26,010, Level: 49
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ornryactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    26,010
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Then again, he is just a music teacher..
    Hey- bring it on. I agree wholeheartedly about Dr. David- I think his argument was ridiculous and his backpedaling, flipflopping circus act was even more so. I am irritated that a professor from my department is pulling these stunts and giving it a bad name. But you do not say someone is "just a teacher", music or otherwise. You want to diss one person, or a group of people, great. But don't you dare insult teachers, current, future, or former, unless that specific person deserves it. I'm going into teaching for a number of reasons, but I can certainly tell you up front that I'm not doing it for all the fame and fortune to be had teaching high schoolers. As for the subject, if you would like a handful of papers and research reports on why music education is so important in our schools, PM me and I will be thrilled to provide them to you.

    I'll treat this one as an ignorant slip of the tongue. Sorry to come down so hard, but I'm sick and tired of people ragging on all teachers in existence every time one dumb*ss professor says something stupid.


    True and Valiant

    I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

    God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 717,821, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    45,689
    Points
    717,821
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 245

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post




    Geoffroy gave his approval Thursday to establishing a “volunteer life skills” position for the department to provide faith-based counseling and referrals to athletes as long as the adviser doesn’t coerce, directly or indirectly, student-athletes to participate in any type of religious activity.
    Call me cynical, but whose definition of coerce are we using? It kind of sounds like a sexual harassment situation. It breaks the ground rules if the recipient of the counseling does not wish to receive the suggestions. There are some in our society who seem to think that the mere mention or discussion of God in their presence creates pressure on them to conform. I think it leaves a lot of gray areas, and I believe that is why they are happy with the wording.


    Last edited by Cyclonepride; 06-30-2007 at 07:05 AM.

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,565, Level: 73
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,485
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,523
    Points
    55,565
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    Hey- bring it on. I agree wholeheartedly about Dr. David- I think his argument was ridiculous and his backpedaling, flipflopping circus act was even more so. I am irritated that a professor from my department is pulling these stunts and giving it a bad name. But you do not say someone is "just a teacher", music or otherwise. You want to diss one person, or a group of people, great. But don't you dare insult teachers, current, future, or former, unless that specific person deserves it. I'm going into teaching for a number of reasons, but I can certainly tell you up front that I'm not doing it for all the fame and fortune to be had teaching high schoolers. As for the subject, if you would like a handful of papers and research reports on why music education is so important in our schools, PM me and I will be thrilled to provide them to you.

    I'll treat this one as an ignorant slip of the tongue. Sorry to come down so hard, but I'm sick and tired of people ragging on all teachers in existence every time one dumb*ss professor says something stupid.
    Yeah, it was just a little joke. I have no ill will towards music teachers... except my elementary school music teacher, she wouldn't always let me play the glockenspiel.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 47,574, Level: 67
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    StLouisClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    2,708
    Points
    47,574
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Call me cynical, but whose definition of coerce are we using? It kind of sounds like a sexual harassment situation. It breaks the ground rules if the recipient of the counseling does not wish to receive the suggestions. There are some in our society who seem to think that the mere mention or discussion of God in their presence creates pressure on them to conform. I think it leaves a lot of gray areas, and I believe that is why they are happy with the wording.
    I'm afraid you're right. We may not have heard the end of this. Some of these faculty members may try to cozy up to members of the football team and seek out "problems" that really aren't there. How would they like it if their job descriptions were under as much scrutiny as this volunteer's?



  12. #12
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    Careful what is being said about music teachers. I happen to be a band director and a 2006 grad of the ISU Music Dept. Just for the record I believe Geoffroy is making the right move - he is essentially appeasing both sides. But here's the other question - does/did Chizik have plans of establishing a chaplain program for athletic teams similar to the one at Auburn? That certainly won't fly here, or at least it seems. Does this mean that the line separating church and state is much more obscured in the South - or at least at Auburn? One thing is for sure, Geoffroy wants to make sure that ISU remains on the state-side of this debate when you look at this issue and the fact that he recently denied tenure for a prof. that was a major proponet of Intelligent Design.



  13. #13
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    927
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    Some of these faculty members may try to cozy up to members of the football team and seek out "problems" that really aren't there.
    That is truly funny!



  14. #14
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    927
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    If Gene turns this into an Auburn style "coerced" Christianity, we have big problems. I don't believe that's going to happen here. We have adults minding the store.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 717,821, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    45,689
    Points
    717,821
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 245

    Re: ISU petition leader applauds Geoffroy's decision

    Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    If Gene turns this into an Auburn style "coerced" Christianity, we have big problems. I don't believe that's going to happen here. We have adults minding the store.
    I'm sorry, but I am not of the opinion that there are individuals out there that are so weak minded that talking about faith and God will somehow brainwash them. Making that available to your players is a good thing.

    I have Mormons that stop by my house every Saturday, and I take their literature, read it, and spend a little time talking to them. I respect what they believe, even if their beliefs are not my own. So far, after two or three years of that, I have somehow by God's grace not fallen under their wily spells.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM