Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 218
    Given: 50

Gene Smith: No more B10 expansion?

I came across this in which Gene Smith said he does not expect any expansion unless schools approach the B10. Maybe it's only lip service but it makes me feel a little better. Sorry if posted already.

The Lantern

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 0

Re: Gene Smith: No more B10 expansion?

So really he's not saying anything. I'm sure that when expansion was rumored that Nebraska was on the phone quickly to ask the Big10 if they were interested. I hope that even as unlikely it would be that Jamie also made that call. The only school that this would affect is Notre Dame. They won't be the ones to ask the Big10 for inclusion.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Gene Smith said he does not expect any expansion unless schools approach the B10
    I think that is a safe statement. It could have many meanings.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think Big 10 expansion has cooled down for now. When the Big Ten announced it was looking at candidates for expansion, the CFB world got their panties in a bunch. Especially since nobody knew how many teams the Big Ten was going to add. Was it going to be just one? Three? Five? (Assuming the Big Ten would expand to 12, 14 or 16)

Then the Pac-10 got into the game, and with all the rumors flying around, it became a crazy free-for-all, with everybody trying to figure out how to keep their conferences afloat, and perhaps how to improve their conferences.

Once it became apparent that the Big Ten was content with Nebraska, the onus fell on the Pac-10(12) and the Big-12(10) to figure out what they were going to do. Actually, it was really to figure out what Texas was going to do. When Texas decided to stay in the Big 12, the situation calmed down.

Personally, I don't think expansion is over. I think the Big 10 is still eying TV markets out East and perhaps even a bit down South. There's still the entire Notre Dame issue as well. If the Big 10 somehow lands ND (as unlikely as that may be), they might still look to pick up another "big market" school.

The Pac 10 has made it clear that they're looking to cash in on the whole conference media thing. Wouldn't surprise me if they look to pick up a few more schools themselves. The Big 12 is probably going to look for a couple candidates to replace the two schools they lost. And you can bet the SEC, ACC and Big 12 are watching carefully.

Super-conferences are on their way, IMO. Just a matter of time.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110

Notre Dame in the Big Ten would be a perfect fit on so many fronts...its a shame it will probably never happen. Texas would be a massive get for the conference for TV markets and expanding the league's footprint and name brand.

I think both the Big Ten and Pac 10 aren't going to sit on 12 teams for long.

ABC - Always Be Closing

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91

Quote Originally Posted by edr247 View Post
    I think Big 10 expansion has cooled down for now. When the Big Ten announced it was looking at candidates for expansion, the CFB world got their panties in a bunch. Especially since nobody knew how many teams the Big Ten was going to add. Was it going to be just one? Three? Five? (Assuming the Big Ten would expand to 12, 14 or 16)

Then the Pac-10 got into the game, and with all the rumors flying around, it became a crazy free-for-all, with everybody trying to figure out how to keep their conferences afloat, and perhaps how to improve their conferences.

Once it became apparent that the Big Ten was content with Nebraska, the onus fell on the Pac-10(12) and the Big-12(10) to figure out what they were going to do. Actually, it was really to figure out what Texas was going to do. When Texas decided to stay in the Big 12, the situation calmed down.

Personally, I don't think expansion is over. I think the Big 10 is still eying TV markets out East and perhaps even a bit down South. There's still the entire Notre Dame issue as well. If the Big 10 somehow lands ND (as unlikely as that may be), they might still look to pick up another "big market" school.

The Pac 10 has made it clear that they're looking to cash in on the whole conference media thing. Wouldn't surprise me if they look to pick up a few more schools themselves. The Big 12 is probably going to look for a couple candidates to replace the two schools they lost. And you can bet the SEC, ACC and Big 12 are watching carefully.

Who are they going to get to make that media thing happen? The only way they were going to get that big contract is if they got Texas. With the way that ended this summer, I doubt the Pac12 will stick their head out and try to get them again. The only way that they get any stronger is if TAMU goes to the SEC. That will clear the way for Texas to ask for the Pac12 invitation and breakup the Big12. If not, I can see the Big10 and the SEC as the only two conferences with the ability to go to 14 or 16.

On a side note, if Boise gets a NC game invite I think that might really affect some of these conference expansion ideas. Why would Alabama want 4 more tough schools added to their schedule if it may hurt their chances of a NC? I'm getting sick of hearing about the big schools complaining about how hard their schedule is while at the same time trying to form super conferences. If you want the cash grab from a super conference, then you have to deal with the consequences of having a tough schedule. Don't tell us that Boise doesn't deserve a shot when they go undefeated.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,450
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think the B10 presidents/chancellors are too eager to go further. A 14/16-team B10 completely changes the dynamic of that conference.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 9

I still do not think the Big 12 is stable. Something tells me that the Texas regents are the only reason the Big 12 still exists. If you spend some time on the Texas and Texas A&M boards, you will find that those folks just plain do not like each other. They have absolutely no respect for each other. They make the Cyclone/Hawkeye rivalry look like an orgy of love.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

IMO- It is done. the Big 10 was looking to blow up the Big East in order to froce Notre Dame's hand. Once the Big 12 told Notre Dame that their non football sprts have a home if the Big East ever goes away, it ended everything. Not Notre Dame doesn't need to worry about their non football sports and the Big Ten gains very little by grabbing Big East teams.

Last edited by tazclone; 09-30-2010 at 08:21 AM.
    "Not at the table Carlos."

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 3

You may be right, but take a close look at the two programs the Big 10 has added in the past 20 years... two of the most respected/storied/accomplished football programs in college football history. There was a lot of talk of Mizzou, Rutgers, Pitt, etc. as obvious contenders, and maybe they were. I thought Mizzou was going to be the pick, because of that TV market. But what seems apparent now is that, as long as Delaney is steering the ship, mediocre (and even good) programs need not apply. I think he only has interest in bringing in ELITE football programs, and by elite I mean those that have a tradition as one of the nation's premier programs, whether they're playing that way now or not, and can attract a national TV audience.

There aren't a lot of those out there that would be ripe for the picking. If history's a guide, I just don't see the Rutgers of the world making the cut.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    You may be right, but take a close look at the two programs the Big 10 has added in the past 20 years... two of the most respected/storied/accomplished football programs in college football history. There was a lot of talk of Mizzou, Rutgers, Pitt, etc. as obvious contenders, and maybe they were. I thought Mizzou was going to be the pick, because of that TV market. But what seems apparent now is that, as long as Delaney is steering the ship, mediocre (and even good) programs need not apply. I think he only has interest in bringing in ELITE football programs, and by elite I mean those that have a tradition as one of the nation's premier programs, whether they're playing that way now or not, and can attract a national TV audience.

There aren't a lot of those out there that would be ripe for the picking. If history's a guide, I just don't see the Rutgers of the world making the cut.
    But mediocre to below average academically sure can. Football gaining a school entre to the CIC is a really spooky thought.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    I still do not think the Big 12 is stable. Something tells me that the Texas regents are the only reason the Big 12 still exists. If you spend some time on the Texas and Texas A&M boards, you will find that those folks just plain do not like each other. They have absolutely no respect for each other. They make the Cyclone/Hawkeye rivalry look like an orgy of love.
    It is called a rivalry. Doesn't mean they can't remain in the same conference. look at Mich/tOSU, USC/UCLA, Auburn/Alabama, etc, etc, etc. aTm fans are bad rightnow because their FB program is way behind. Just wait until they ctch up, and they will.

"Not at the table Carlos."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,450
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post

That's a great point. The only direction I see the B10 going is south and making a run at some of the better ACC teams. And I don't see that happening until the dust settles from the last round of reshuffling.

I think we are in a bit of a hiatus period for a number of years. The football landscape could look very different then.

Martin Luther King Jr.