Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 53,851, Level: 71
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,296
    Points
    53,851
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 30

    Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    and it looked exactly like the 2010 Cyclone Offense. In the first quarter they had 5 penalties on the offense, including 2 false starts in a row, and two turnovers. Every time they started to move the ball, there was another penalty or turnover. In the second quarter the team went into the Jet (speed-up) mode and went right through the Gophers for 2 scores.

    What does it mean? I am going to say that the AA and the offense are much less mistake prone when they get up to the line and run the play. Less penalties and less AA being fooled by the coverage.

    In the end, penalties are killing all of the rhythm that the offense has, and the look back for the play just doesn't seem to help the offense move the ball.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,929, Level: 90
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,695
    Points
    84,929
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    and it looked exactly like the 2010 Cyclone Offense. In the first quarter they had 5 penalties on the offense, including 2 false starts in a row, and two turnovers. Every time they started to move the ball, there was another penalty or turnover. In the second quarter the team went into the Jet (speed-up) mode and went right through the Gophers for 2 scores.

    What does it mean? I am going to say that the AA and the offense are much less mistake prone when they get up to the line and run the play. Less penalties and less AA being fooled by the coverage.

    In the end, penalties are killing all of the rhythm that the offense has, and the look back for the play just doesn't seem to help the offense move the ball.
    I thoght the Insight game and NIU were exactly alike. Offense looked efficient then there would be a penalty or a TO.


    "Not at the table Carlos."

  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 9,758, Level: 29
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CycloneJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    756
    Points
    9,758
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    and it looked exactly like the 2010 Cyclone Offense. In the first quarter they had 5 penalties on the offense, including 2 false starts in a row, and two turnovers. Every time they started to move the ball, there was another penalty or turnover. In the second quarter the team went into the Jet (speed-up) mode and went right through the Gophers for 2 scores.

    What does it mean? I am going to say that the AA and the offense are much less mistake prone when they get up to the line and run the play. Less penalties and less AA being fooled by the coverage.

    In the end, penalties are killing all of the rhythm that the offense has, and the look back for the play just doesn't seem to help the offense move the ball.
    I don't quite get why everyone hates the whole look back thing (and I'm not saying you are hating on it). Basically, they are forcing to get the defense to hurry up to the line because we COULD (and sometimes do) hike it quickly. If we don't hike it right away, it gives the coaches & players time to read the defense and see if they still like the play that was called.

    I love the hurry-up, but when we are in hurry-up and throw 3 incomplete passes and go 3-and-out in 20 seconds it really hurts the defense.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 334,917, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,729
    Points
    334,917
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    I thoght the Insight game and NIU were exactly alike. Offense looked efficient then there would be a penalty or a TO.
    Correct. Should have run Minny right off the field, instead we needed them to hand us the game by bouncing a football off their leg.

    NIU should have been a 35+ point win - instead we had to work well into the 4th quarter.

    The offense routinely takes a step forward and then 2 steps back.

    Totally fine with starting a caning policy for every player that commits a penalty...



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 467,717, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,620
    Points
    467,717
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 321

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Correct. Should have run Minny right off the field, instead we needed them to hand us the game by bouncing a football off their leg.

    NIU should have been a 35+ point win - instead we had to work well into the 4th quarter.

    The offense routinely takes a step forward and then 2 steps back.

    Totally fine with starting a caning policy for every player that commits a penalty...
    I'd be okay with forced diamond push ups until their arms fall off...


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,929, Level: 90
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,695
    Points
    84,929
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Correct. Should have run Minny right off the field, instead we needed them to hand us the game by bouncing a football off their leg.

    NIU should have been a 35+ point win - instead we had to work well into the 4th quarter.

    The offense routinely takes a step forward and then 2 steps back.

    Totally fine with starting a caning policy for every player that commits a penalty...
    Electrical shock therapy, caning, sit your butt on the line (although we might not have any players left), you name it, just fix it.
    I have kinda wondered if our big fellas get tired as they work down the field and that is why we get more penalties inside the opponents 35 than anywhere else. They shouldn't be tired. They sit most of the game on the bench but I wonder if they don't get a little tired.
    Maybe we should reach the red zone and then huddle up for a play or two.


    "Not at the table Carlos."

  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 12,258, Level: 33
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    StPaulCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Duh!
    Posts
    663
    Points
    12,258
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    I thought we looked less disciplined in the bowl game and commented after NIU that we seem to be continuing the penalites from the Insight Bowl.

    Oh, and Jesse Smith basically karate chopped that ball out. He is being smushed between to OLinem and and he chops the ball out with his right hand. It is an unbelievable play everytime I watch it. His last play as a Cyclone and he forces a fumble that helps seal the game.


    "I'm proud to lead this program and this team in whatever we do. Whether it's a community service project, or through practice or winning a bowl game, but you don't do that without the kids believing and being all in, and going out there and accomplishing all [of] the goals and expectations that we set." - Coach Paul Rhoads

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 97,068, Level: 97
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,982
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    5,927
    Points
    97,068
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 36

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    I really don't know anything about our offense and how it's designed. I'm wondering if a lot of our problems are on the snap count though and weather or not it changes depending on weather or not it's an audible. IF not, we have some of the dumbest players ever on the line. It's just not that hard to remember the snap count. Granted, it's going to happen here and there, but it's game after game, play after play. It just doesn't make sense to me.

    IMO, these penalties are really what's killing our Offense. I don't think we'd be light the board up for 40 or 50 in games, but 1st and 15 or 2 and 10 make us so one dimensional.It seems that instead of just running plays, we are always fighting to get yards back. Which in turn, puts more pressure on the guys to perform. If the stupid penalties stop, I really believe that our offense would look 200% better. Now remember, I'm only talking 2 more scores per game. But 13 against UNI, I still can't believe how pathetic that is.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 84,238, Level: 90
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,312
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,081
    Points
    84,238
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    I said this in another thread, but we've had 5, 5, 8, and 8 penalties through our first four games. It's not like it's out of hand, but it is annoying and our offense is so terrible that they can't overcome it.

    A good offense could overcome these penalties. Just look around. Other teams get penalties too, and, *gasp*, they still score points.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 53,851, Level: 71
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,296
    Points
    53,851
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 30

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneJames View Post
    I don't quite get why everyone hates the whole look back thing (and I'm not saying you are hating on it). Basically, they are forcing to get the defense to hurry up to the line because we COULD (and sometimes do) hike it quickly. If we don't hike it right away, it gives the coaches & players time to read the defense and see if they still like the play that was called.

    I love the hurry-up, but when we are in hurry-up and throw 3 incomplete passes and go 3-and-out in 20 seconds it really hurts the defense.
    I agree on the 3 and out in 20 seconds being horrible, and I am not hating on the look back. I think it is actually pretty cool, if you can make it work. So far I have not seen that the Cyclones can handle it without making a mistake every third play. The thing I would really like to see is the team just randomly line up and then go. The look back looses a lot of it's effectiveness when teams pretty much know that the Clone QB is going to look back every play. The only time I have see the Clone randomly speed up is when they QB sneak on a 3rd or 4th and short.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 103,918, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    vmbplayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    3,447
    Points
    103,918
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    I said this in another thread, but we've had 5, 5, 8, and 8 penalties through our first four games. It's not like it's out of hand, but it is annoying and our offense is so terrible that they can't overcome it.

    A good offense could overcome these penalties. Just look around. Other teams get penalties too, and, *gasp*, they still score points.
    *gasp* really? Well ****, I guess it would be easier for everyone on our offense just to get better from a talent standpoint so we can overcome 1st and 15 on a regular basis than it would be to just not give away 5-10 yards every single drive.

    Because the easiest way to fix the problem as you clearly point out is to just to have our terrible offense be less terrible. That sounds like something that can realistically happen mid season instead of just not moving before the ball is snapped. You sir have fixed our problem!!! Attention offense, suck less and overcome your own dumb mistakes.

    I guess no one here realized that other teams in the nation are penalized and can overcome those penalties. Thanks for putting that in perspective. EVERYONE FORGET THE PENALTIES THEY AREN'T THE PROBLEM, WE NEED TO ***** MORE ABOUT HOW MUCH OUR OFFENSE SUCKS AND ALL WILL BE WELL!!!!

    Sorry, long day. That rant seemed to make me feel better though.


    "Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,929, Level: 90
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,695
    Points
    84,929
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I really don't know anything about our offense and how it's designed. I'm wondering if a lot of our problems are on the snap count though and weather or not it changes depending on weather or not it's an audible. IF not, we have some of the dumbest players ever on the line. It's just not that hard to remember the snap count. Granted, it's going to happen here and there, but it's game after game, play after play. It just doesn't make sense to me.

    IMO, these penalties are really what's killing our Offense. I don't think we'd be light the board up for 40 or 50 in games, but 1st and 15 or 2 and 10 make us so one dimensional.It seems that instead of just running plays, we are always fighting to get yards back. Which in turn, puts more pressure on the guys to perform. If the stupid penalties stop, I really believe that our offense would look 200% better. Now remember, I'm only talking 2 more scores per game. But 13 against UNI, I still can't believe how pathetic that is.
    We have had as many issues with holding as we have with false starts. Also offensive pass interference or illegal blocks


    "Not at the table Carlos."

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 483,979, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,020
    Points
    483,979
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95

    Re: Just watched the first half of the Insight bowl again

    Our penalties ARE out of hand. Every time we've entered the red zone and not committed a penalty, we've gotten 6. Every time. We're routinely giving ourselves 2nd and 25s. I'm sorry, it really doesn't matter who you have, if you're giving yourself a long field every time you get in the red zone.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM