Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 0

What is the future at QB for ISU? (long)

I think it's fairly obvious to everyone that our offense is really, really bad right now. I think most of us agree that Tom Herman's offense requires a good accurate passer. And I think most of us have seen enough of AA to know that passing ability is not his strength. He's a great kid, and he represents ISU as good as anyone possibly could, but his passing ability and his ability to read defenses is not what it needs to be at this point.

We also know that AA is a senior, and he will not be here next year. So... with that... what does the future hold at QB for ISU right now? Most people assume it's Jerome Tiller's job to lose. He's put in all the time and work to take over next year in his junior season. But... is this the answer?

I don't know how many times I've heard someone say that AA is a "square peg in a round hole"? He's not the QB you need for Herman's system. Which begs the question why in the world Herman tried to force AA to play in a system that doesn't fit his abilities in the first place? IMO, that is not what a good offensive coordinator does, but what do I know?

So then the question becomes... is Jerome Tiller the kind of QB you need to run Herman's offense? Is he an accurate passer that makes good decisions and can make the right reads? I think right now, that answer has to be "no". He's not a good passer. He doesn't find the open guy, because many on here have been saying that he had some WRs and TEs wide open last night that he didn't find. He took some huge sacks as well. Jerome Tiller is a run first, pass second kind of QB. He is a tremendous "athlete", that just happens to play QB IMO. I think he'd almost make a better WR with his abilities than a QB. He's tall and can jump through the roof. He's fast and athletic. And he's a competitor. I could see him making a great wideout, but that's just me.

So if Tiller is another "square peg in a round hole", what is the answer? Well, if he's going to be the QB the next two years, then IMO you MUST change the offense. You have no other choice if Tiller is "the guy". So, is Herman going to change the entire offense to better suit Tiller's strengths or not? That will be the question. Because if not... then I think you HAVE to find a QB that does fit the current system.

If you decide you are too stubborn to change the offense, then the next step is to find someone that can run it effectively. As I've said, I don't think Tiller is that guy. And if he isn't, then who is? What do we have either on the current roster, or coming in next season?

We have James Capello and Barnett on the roster, and have Richardson coming in next year as a true freshman. Are any of these guys the "round peg for the round hole"? I don't know that answer? Does anyone else? I've heard that Capello is a pretty good accurate passer, but is this really so? What about Barnett? Richardson?

I've heard some people argue that we need to wait until Herman has a QB that he recruited to play this offense is running the show before we'll see this offense flourish. Well... how long will that be? Herman didn't recruit Tiller either, right? So is Tiller the answer?

IMO, there needs to be a wide open competition at QB next year. We cannot afford another 2 years of this kind of offense where the QB does not "fit" the system we are trying to run. We just can't. Either we need a different QB or a different system... period. I'm sick of hearing that we don't have the QB to run this system. That is a LAME excuse. Either get one that is, or change the offense. If you're such a great offensive genius, you should be able to design an offense that best utilizes what you have, right?

And I don't mean this to be a knock on Jerome Tiller or Austen Arnaud either. They are both TREMENDOUS athletes, and even better people. I actually feel for both of them. They are being asked to do things they aren't comfortable doing, and aren't their strengths. That is not their fault. But right now, we are looking at an offense that cannot do anything well. And my problem is that I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel either for the future right now. I see another 2 years of having a QB that doesn't fit the system.... that's what I see. Unless Capello, Barnett, or Richardson can do it next year? If they can, then move Tiller to WR and let him best utilize his talents. Because it isn't fair to the ISU fanbase to have us sit through another 2 years of this stuff.

Tom Herman's job performance should be judged on one thing... offensive production... period. No excuses. His offense was awful last year, and is again this year. One of the worst in college football. Don't sugarcoat it folks. UNI's defense dominated our offense last night. And this is what our offense will look like the next two years under Tiller unless we change the system to better suit him. So what are we going to do? What is the future at QB, and for this offense in general over the next several years? What is the plan going forward?

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 13

Re: What is the future at QB for ISU? (long)

if we want to be a 9 win team, we need a heisman candidate at QB.

edit: btw, i think garret gilberts performance in the national championship proved that young guys can come in and make an impact. the guy was a true freshman ... playing against the best defense in college football, on the biggest stage, and did pretty well.

the sooner we get an all-star QB, the sooner we'll be good.

Last edited by dualthreat; 09-26-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Recruit
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    if we want to be a 9 win team, we need a heisman candidate at QB.

edit: btw, i think garret gilberts performance in the national championship proved that young guys can come in and make an impact. the guy was a true freshman ... playing against the best defense in college football, on the biggest stage, and did pretty well.

the sooner we get an all-star QB, the sooner we'll be good.

The problem is an All-Star QB will not want to come here. We need a guy that can play well in the system...alas a system QB

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 646
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I have a therory. Our Qbs are only good for one year. example Meyer and Arnaud were best during there sophmore year. With that said we do what we can this year. next year it will be Capello then Barnett, Richardson the following year and then who ever is next. and we will have a different QB each year.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlooded View Post
    I have a therory. Our Qbs are only good for one year. example Meyer and Arnaud were best during there sophmore year. With that said we do what we can this year. next year it will be Capello then Barnett, Richardson the following year and then who ever is next. and we will have a different QB each year.
    yah, its because we have 0 player development. Our guys don't get any better from year one to year 4. See: todd blythe, meyer, arnaud, ARob from year 2 to 4.

Recruiting 5 star players would help. But how about we get those 3 star guys and turn them into 5 star guys. Nahhh... we'll leave that to the hoks

Rookie
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

I am not an insider but have heard that Barnett will be our qb next year...very accurate, good mechanics, herman's recruit, etc but we all know that freshman qb's can be inconsistant. Tiller was all over the place last night. I think for this year, Arnaud is our best chance to win although he will need lots of help from the receivers (no drops and make plays after the catch).

Prospect
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Northwestern runs a very similiar spread, with comparable athletes to that of ISU. Under the late Randy Walker and currently under Fitzgerald they have been able to plug in QB after QB. Basically what I am saying there are plenty of guys out there that can run Herman's system.

I thought Arnaud would eventually turn out like Kafka or Persa because all 3 guys are built the same way, almost identical systems, same style of play. I am not a ISU fan so I didn't pay close attention to AA mechanics or realized he had so many issues throwing the football.

Last edited by trj; 09-26-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    Faith is like a muscle the more you exercise it the stronger it gets.--Church in Ankeny

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I think it's fairly obvious to everyone that our offense is really, really bad right now. I think most of us agree that Tom Herman's offense requires a good accurate passer. And I think most of us have seen enough of AA to know that passing ability is not his strength. He's a great kid, and he represents ISU as good as anyone possibly could, but his passing ability and his ability to read defenses is not what it needs to be at this point.

We also know that AA is a senior, and he will not be here next year. So... with that... what does the future hold at QB for ISU right now? Most people assume it's Jerome Tiller's job to lose. He's put in all the time and work to take over next year in his junior season. But... is this the answer?

I don't know how many times I've heard someone say that AA is a "square peg in a round hole"? He's not the QB you need for Herman's system. Which begs the question why in the world Herman tried to force AA to play in a system that doesn't fit his abilities in the first place? IMO, that is not what a good offensive coordinator does, but what do I know?

So then the question becomes... is Jerome Tiller the kind of QB you need to run Herman's offense? Is he an accurate passer that makes good decisions and can make the right reads? I think right now, that answer has to be "no". He's not a good passer. He doesn't find the open guy, because many on here have been saying that he had some WRs and TEs wide open last night that he didn't find. He took some huge sacks as well. Jerome Tiller is a run first, pass second kind of QB. He is a tremendous "athlete", that just happens to play QB IMO. I think he'd almost make a better WR with his abilities than a QB. He's tall and can jump through the roof. He's fast and athletic. And he's a competitor. I could see him making a great wideout, but that's just me.

So if Tiller is another "square peg in a round hole", what is the answer? Well, if he's going to be the QB the next two years, then IMO you MUST change the offense. You have no other choice if Tiller is "the guy". So, is Herman going to change the entire offense to better suit Tiller's strengths or not? That will be the question. Because if not... then I think you HAVE to find a QB that does fit the current system.

If you decide you are too stubborn to change the offense, then the next step is to find someone that can run it effectively. As I've said, I don't think Tiller is that guy. And if he isn't, then who is? What do we have either on the current roster, or coming in next season?

We have James Capello and Barnett on the roster, and have Richardson coming in next year as a true freshman. Are any of these guys the "round peg for the round hole"? I don't know that answer? Does anyone else? I've heard that Capello is a pretty good accurate passer, but is this really so? What about Barnett? Richardson?

I've heard some people argue that we need to wait until Herman has a QB that he recruited to play this offense is running the show before we'll see this offense flourish. Well... how long will that be? Herman didn't recruit Tiller either, right? So is Tiller the answer?

IMO, there needs to be a wide open competition at QB next year. We cannot afford another 2 years of this kind of offense where the QB does not "fit" the system we are trying to run. We just can't. Either we need a different QB or a different system... period. I'm sick of hearing that we don't have the QB to run this system. That is a LAME excuse. Either get one that is, or change the offense. If you're such a great offensive genius, you should be able to design an offense that best utilizes what you have, right?

And I don't mean this to be a knock on Jerome Tiller or Austen Arnaud either. They are both TREMENDOUS athletes, and even better people. I actually feel for both of them. They are being asked to do things they aren't comfortable doing, and aren't their strengths. That is not their fault. But right now, we are looking at an offense that cannot do anything well. And my problem is that I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel either for the future right now. I see another 2 years of having a QB that doesn't fit the system.... that's what I see. Unless Capello, Barnett, or Richardson can do it next year? If they can, then move Tiller to WR and let him best utilize his talents. Because it isn't fair to the ISU fanbase to have us sit through another 2 years of this stuff.

Tom Herman's job performance should be judged on one thing... offensive production... period. No excuses. His offense was awful last year, and is again this year. One of the worst in college football. Don't sugarcoat it folks. UNI's defense dominated our offense last night. And this is what our offense will look like the next two years under Tiller unless we change the system to better suit him. So what are we going to do? What is the future at QB, and for this offense in general over the next several years? What is the plan going forward?
    I've said it before and I will say it again. If people think the only thing wrong with our offense is the QB then people are extremely blind. Our QB did not cause penalties in scoring position last night. Our QB did not block poorly Our QB is not the reason we got little to no separation against a FCS team that ranks 79th in pass defense(after our poor showing last night, they were worse).

Yes, we need an accurate passer but even when our QB throws for a good % and hits receivers, we struggle on offense.

To answer your question...Barnett or Richardson will be our future at QB or we will need to change our offensive philosophy. I really like Richardson.

Last edited by tazclone; 09-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.
    "Not at the table Carlos."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 263

I thought our oline looked like a sieve yesterday. They have a long ways to go to show that they can play as a unit.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I just really hope Tiller isnt our starter next year. We need to just go ahead and go with Barnett in my mind unless Capello or Richardson beats him out. Tiller is a Pro Style QB. Barnett, Capello and Richardson all ran this offense in high school.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    yah, its because we have 0 player development. Our guys don't get any better from year one to year 4. See: todd blythe, meyer, arnaud, ARob from year 2 to 4.

Recruiting 5 star players would help. But how about we get those 3 star guys and turn them into 5 star guys. Nahhh... we'll leave that to the hoks
    Name an offensive 2 star that iowa turned into a 5 star. Particularly in an offensive skill position. Shonne Greene, and he had 6 other BCS offers and was a 2 star due to grade issues. Other than that most of their player development happens on defense at DT and LB. Even on OL they get mostly 3 and 4 star guys. They even take 5 star guys and get nothing out of them Dan Doering is a prime example

We need to follow Kansas' example on offense and iowa's example on defense. Kansas took undersized tweeners and sprinkled in some highly rated recruits and became an offensive machine. We need our Todd Reesing or Chase Daniels and our Kerry Meier. Maybe Barnet is Reesing and Tiller is Meier

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    I just really hope Tiller isnt our starter next year. We need to just go ahead and go with Barnett in my mind unless Capello or Richardson beats him out. Tiller is a Pro Style QB. Barnett, Capello and Richardson all ran this offense in high school.
    Nope, leave the redshirt on Barnett and go with AA the reat of the year if he is healthy. He can show that at times, he can run the offense...Minny, NIU. Leave Barnett's RS on and have him throwing to the other RS WRs on the scout team and build chemistry in that unit

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    Nope, leave the redshirt on Barnett and go with AA the reat of the year if he is healthy. He can show that at times, he can run the offense...Minny, NIU. Leave Barnett's RS on and have him throwing to the other RS WRs on the scout team and build chemistry in that unit
    I said NEXT YEAR.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Prospect
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Name an offensive 2 star that iowa turned into a 5 star. Particularly in an offensive skill position. Shonne Greene, and he had 6 other BCS offers and was a 2 star due to grade issues. Other than that most of their player development happens on defense at DT and LB. Even on OL they get mostly 3 and 4 star guys. They even take 5 star guys and get nothing out of them Dan Doering is a prime example

We need to follow Kansas' example on offense and iowa's example on defense. Kansas took undersized tweeners and sprinkled in some highly rated recruits and became an offensive machine. We need our Todd Reesing or Chase Daniels and our Kerry Meier. Maybe Barnet is Reesing and Tiller is Meier

I would need to do some checking, but Iowa has had a TE drafted in the last 7 NFL drafts and practically every year of the Ferentz era. Not all those guys were 3 or 4 star recruits. Dallas Clark wasn't......Robert Gallery moved to tackle. Need to check on Riesner.

Interesting point on the undersized tweener qb, there are plenty of them in texas. For what it is worth, Drew Tate is exactly what you are talking about, also Drew Brees took a similiar path to Purdue.

Faith is like a muscle the more you exercise it the stronger it gets.--Church in Ankeny

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 14

I've said it before and I will say it again. If people think the only thing wrong with our offense is the QB then people are extremely blind. Our QB did not cause penalties in scoring position last night. Our QB did not block poorly Our QB is not the reason we got little to no separation against a FCS team that ranks 79th in pass defense(after our poor showing last night, they were worse).

Yes, we need an accurate passer but even when our QB throws for a good % and hits receivers, we struggle on offense.

To answer your question...Barnett or Richardson will be our future at QB or we will need to change our offensive philosophy. I really like Richardson.
    First, I basically agree.

However, the opposing argument is this: a great QB would save us from ourselves. Fast enough to avoid holding penalties. Accurate enough to make up for receivers getting poor separation or "the drops". Mobile enough to avoid the occasional missed blocking assignment.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)