Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

Capital city league

Did anyone go to the games last night to see how everyone did?

Kyle S. Flander

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Capital city league

Quote Originally Posted by flander1649 View Post
    Did anyone go to the games last night to see how everyone did?
    No CF representation???

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Rookie
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I was there for the second game. It was a great matchup, b/c Diante went against MT, and Juri went up against Brackins. All I can say is that I was very impressed with Garrett, Brackins, and Juri. MT was MT, played great in spurts and not so great in others. Garrett can handle, pass, and get into the lane with ease. The one downside, was he didnt finish at the rim half of the time. Brackins was great inside and out. Very soft touch for a big. Juri played well, and was hustling which was nice to see. This is the only game that i was able to see...

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 9

FYI - They tee it up again this Friday (June 29) at 5:30, 6:45 and 8:00.

No games then until July 6.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I stopped by the games on Wednesday on my way to Omaha for business. Sorry It took so long to post. Have a great fourth everyone.

Atlantic Coca-Cola Bottling

Corey Johnson, ISU- The guy everyone seems to be forgetting about. Cory has lost some of his babyfat and added a little more muscle. I think he will play more of a role this year then most people think. His 3 ball was on and many times he looked like the only D1 player on this team. He works his butt off too much not to play

Erik Crawford, Ex-UNI (ISU asst coach) Ė I was always a fan of Crawford at UNI, he always showed up for their big games (Iowa). He still is in good shape but looks to set up others more then himself. He missed a dunk that really got to him, I think he maybe starting to feel his age.

Bryan Peterson, ISU- very small but a good 3-point shooter and a fundamental ball handler.

Medical Oncology & Hematology

Wesley Johnson, ISU- Added more muscle on his upper body, stills needs one more summer I think before he is ready to start testing the waters. Wes seamed to be working on his driving and 3ís. Both looked very good and he can fly over people. I think he is one of the most well liked members of the team. One of the news teams was there interviewing him. During the whole interview, Clark kept sticking his head in the shot, Garrett was making faces behind the camera, and finally Mike walked by and depantsed him.

Marcus Brister, ISU ĖBigger guard, I think he might need to loose some weight. Right now, he battles more like a post player on the court and has the about same range a post. I think he may turn into a good role player when we need someone physical.

Sean Haluska, ISU A few inches shorter then his brother, but just as athletic. He can shoot and run, if that is what our team needs he will play.

Central Iowa Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine Clinic

Charles Boozer, ISU- To be honest I donít know how he got an offer. He acts very immature and his game is suspect. He reminds me of the kid on your highs schoolís team that thinks he is the best player on the court. I dint like his shot, he pretends to get hurt when things donít workout for him on the court. I would take Barnes as a 10th grader over Boozer right now based on what I saw. (Sorry, I tried to be positive)

Eric Henderson, ISU- The other grad coach. Very loud on the court, I think he was trying to set an example. He gave Barnes a ride home.

Michael Smith, ISU- worked hard but not really a D1 ballplayer

Cameron Lee, ISU- same

Harrison Barnes, Ames HS- Going to be a stud! Went 4-4 from 3 land. Has a very fast smooth shot. Can drive and finish. Their coach wanted the offence to run though him on the post. A to-be 10th grader should not be able to post up a college player and score, or come up with a loose ball. He looks like he has a lot more growing to do as well. Other then Wes, he impressed me the most. If he adds 2 more inches, he will be a top 100 player easy.

Gratias Construction

Alex Thompson, ISU- no show

Jiri Hubalak, ISU- I think he played great. Had the majority of his teamís points and blocked some shots. Thompson would have to be really good to beat him out if he plays that hard all the time. He went 2-4 from 3.

Diante Garrett, ISU- I liked what I saw, which can be a problem with garrett, he is rail thin. I think his quickness makes up for his lack of size. Taylor could not stop him off the dribble. Actually, his coach took him out of the game to keep the score close. He stole two inbounds passes in a row. Iím not sure if it is the street ball nature of the games, because he shined in this game. He did miss some easy teardrops. The highlight of the night was when drove baseline and dribbled it behind his back and though his legs completely breaking his defenders ankles. 20 lbs down the road he will be a great big12 point guard. He has a great feel for the game. One second he is going two miles per hour the next he is wide open for a back door layup. I donít think he will have to many turnovers because of his ability to pass right out of his dribble just like JT. He will start from day one and only get better as his body matures. Shot 1 of 2 from 3 land (very little rotation on his shot).

Peak Performance Program

Rahshon Clark, ISU- finally added the weight he needed, acts much like the team dad. Sorry but his game is the same.

Clayton Vette, ISU- no show

Lucca Steiger, ISU- Great find for Gmac. The best way to describe him is ďjust athletic enough to get the job doneĒ. Great shot and is big for a freshman. I donít think he likes the unorganized games. He never forces anything and is again a better then average passer. He played D on Wes and you could tell he was always trying to out think Wes, but that doesnít help defending a turn-around fade-away jumper released from nine feet in the air. (Wes can be so good if he wants to be)

Plefty, LLC

Craig Brackins, ISU Ė his first play of the game was a dunk over someone. He is fast and knows how to play team ball. But, he is not strong enough to battle yet on the post. It will take a year or two before he could start at the 5 spot. He could not stop Jiri on ether end of the court. Craig can shoot the ball and is great in transition. I think we need to give him a break this year. When he plays, he will be a 4/3. At the end of his game, he was frustrated with Taylor and rolled his eyes several times at Taylorís decisions with the ball.

Mike Taylor, ISU- the kid is nuttier then a squirrel turd. He puts on a show, Iím not really sure what I was really watching (it wasnít basketball for sure). It was like a mix of a standup comedian / daredevil / globetrotter. I could not stop laughing, I was scared for his health, and amazed by the shots he pulled off. I think there is a reason why his team has only won one game this year. He missed a dunk so bad that the ball flew all the way to the free-throw line on the other end of the court.

Brock Jacobsen, ISU- no show

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,434
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Quote Originally Posted by aklclone View Post
    Mike Taylor, ISU- the kid is nuttier then a squirrel turd. He puts on a show, Iím not really sure what I was really watching (it wasnít basketball for sure). It was like a mix of a standup comedian / daredevil / globetrotter. I could not stop laughing, I was scared for his health, and amazed by the shots he pulled off. I think there is a reason why his team has only won one game this year. He missed a dunk so bad that the ball flew all the way to the free-throw line on the other end of the court.

OK, this paragraph is funny. I don't care who you are.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by clone11 View Post
    I was there for the second game. It was a great matchup, b/c Diante went against MT, and Juri went up against Brackins. All I can say is that I was very impressed with Garrett, Brackins, and Juri. MT was MT, played great in spurts and not so great in others. Garrett can handle, pass, and get into the lane with ease. The one downside, was he didnt finish at the rim half of the time. Brackins was great inside and out. Very soft touch for a big. Juri played well, and was hustling which was nice to see. This is the only game that i was able to see...
    For heaven's sake folks, it's Jiri NOT Juri!!! Geez, you'd think this being his 3rd year at ISU our fans would know this by now...

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

"nuttier then a squirrel turd".... HILARIOUS!!

from what I've read on here, it will be interesting to see what MT's playing time will be like with the new players coming in...

I realize the Cap City League is borderline organized street ball, but with the talent coming in and GMac & staff's coaching capabilities, I am way excited for the future of ISU hoops!!

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89

Mike will start. I warn anybody to start projecting anything based on CCL games. They oftentimes don't translate to organized play.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Mike will start. I warn anybody to start projecting anything based on CCL games. They oftentimes don't translate to organized play.
    Yeah, that.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 106

Nice review Aklclone. I have watched the Capital City League 3 times and your comments are dead on. Here is what I have to add.

Brister--he is a pretty wide load for a guard. When I first saw him I thought he looked like Stevie Johnson. He makes some great passes and does a good job penetrating, but I have not seen him finish, not once.

Haluska--He sure would have gotten some minutes last year because he is aggressive on the offensive end. I see him as a spark player off the bench. He is pretty much the polar opposite of McIntosh.

Garrett--He is excellent off the dribble and changes speeds very well, but I don't know what would happen if he played against a big, physical guard. I also wasn't too impressed with his defense. He acts like a Wayne Morgan--go for the steal but don't play fundamental defense--kind of a guy. But this is the Capital City League, and Gmac hasn't had a chance to break him down yet. But he is definitely one reason to come watch these Capital City League games.

Brackins--everyone needs to take a deep breath and settle down. He will not be a dominating presence right out of the gate. He definitely has some special talents, but he has a lot of growing to do in both skills and size.

Taylor-this guy has an infectious personality. I see him playing against the New York Nationals (f/k/a the Washington Generals) in a year or two.

Thompson--has missed the last two games. I also think he goes to the same barber as Gmac.