Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 100

My East Coast Trip Recap

A few people asked a few weeks ago to recap my trip to the east coast, so here goes. I waited to do this, hoping that my friend would have given me his pictures, but I haven't received them yet, so I figured what the heck. Picture link at the end.

Friday - We headed out of Cedar Rapids for South Bend, Ind. Took I-80 out there and got stuck in traffic south of Chicago for about an hour and a half. Thought maybe it was going to cause us not to make it to the College Football Hall of Fame, but we finally made it there with a little over an hour to spend there. The place was awesome. Right when you walk in, they have the helmets of the AP Top 25 hanging from the ceiling, which was cool. When we walked around we actually started with the new era and worked our way back. Figured if we only had an hour, we wanted to make sure we saw the new stuff first. It was all very cool, especially the display of the BCS Game trophies and the National Championship Trophies from every level of college football. After walking around for awhile, we headed over to Notre Dame's Campus. The stadium was cool, but not what I thought it would be. They remodeled in 1995 and I didn't realize they had. It was still cool to see, but not as expected. Walked around and saw the Golden Dome and Touchdown Jesus. Those were pretty cool. After South Bend, we headed to Cleveland for the night.

Saturday - Started the day off by going to Jacobs Field and the Q. Jacobs Field was nice, as you could see in from the outfield, which I find cool at stadiums. They were having a fantasy baseball game at the time, but wouldn't let us in, as we weren't related to any of the players. The Q was right next to the Jake, so that was easy to get to. They were getting ready for the Finals game that was to be played there on Tuesday, so they were hanging banners and all that fun stuff, so we pretended like we were there for the finals and took pictures like we were going to the game, too bad we weren't dishing out $500 per ticket for the game. After the Q, drove down by Cleveland Browns Stadium and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Nothing to see at the stadium and the HOF looked small, so we headed down the road to Canton, Ohio. The Pro Football Hall of Fame was no doubt worth the money. They had numerous displays set up in the four buildings. We really enjoyed the Super Bowl display, where they had many things from various Super Bowls, but they had a ring from every champion, so that was cool. It was cool seeing all the head statues from the Hall of Fame members, especially Marv Levy's from Coe College where I work. Not every day your going to see D3 Coe College at the NFL Hall of Fame. After leaving Canton we continued on our quest of seeing stadiums, so we headed to Pittsburgh. After sitting in traffic for two hours, we decided to take a short cut into the city. Big Mistake. Traffic got worse. Come to find out, there was a huge Kenny Chesney concert at Heinz Field that was causing all the problems. After spending a total of five hours in traffic in Pittsburgh (ran into more traffic backups from construction trying to leave) we were finally on the turnpike heading to Elkton, Maryland.

Sunday - Pretty much bummed it most of the day, trying to recover from the 17 hours of driving the previous two days. Drove up to Philadelphia to get a cheesesteak at Pat's. Pretty much one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life.

Monday - Went to Baltimore to tour the Inner Harbor. That was pretty cool, even though I had been there before. Ate at the Hard Rock Cafe, which is never a bad decision. Saw some fudge being made at the shops there. Also went to Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Again, I love that stadium because you can walk along the outfield fence and see inside the park. It's also where they filmed the Major League movies, which are my favorite movies. Drove over to M & T Stadium after that, but there wasn't anything exciting there.

Tuesday - Went to Hershey Park in Hershey, Penn. It was a pretty cool park. Day started out really hot, but then the rain came and pretty much spoiled the day. We were able to go inside Chocolate World and see how everything was made, which was kind of cool, even if it wasn't the real thing.

Wednesday - Went to the Phillies-White Sox game at Citizens Bank Park. Game went back and forth for awhile until Aaron Rowand came in and had a pinch hit RBI to tie the game for the Phillies. They kept him in the game and two innings later hit a Grand Slam in the bottom of the 7th. It was pretty cool, first grand slam I have ever seen in person.

Thursday - Went flying in a personal plane. Flew up over New Jersey and saw the Atlantic Ocean. Was pretty cool just floating around in a plane that low. After the flight, we drove down to Dover to see the Dover Speedway. The place was pretty big and still had some stuff set up from the race the week before. After that we headed down to Washington, DC. We were able to see the Washington Monument, WWII Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, the White House and the Capitol all within two hours. After stopping at the ESPN Zone for dinner and a stop at the Hard Rock, we headed over to Arlington Cemetery. We pulled in at 7:20, only to find out the area closed at 7 p.m. We didn't realize it was so close, otherwise we would have gone earlier. After that we drove by RFK Stadium (complete dump) and FedEx Field. The area getting to FedEx Field from the Interstate was not very good.

Friday - Headed up to New York City Friday Morning. Drove my Giants Stadium on the way into the city. First stop was taking the Subway to the Statue of Liberty. Instead of going to the Island itself, we just took the Staten Island Ferry over and back. Was able to go right by the statue. I would recommend just doing that, unless you want to be on the island. After that we went over to Ground Zero. That was kind of cool to see all the construction going on, if you could consider something like that to be cool of any sort. We then walked over to Madison Square Garden and the Empire State Building. After that we checked into the hotel and watched some of the Mets-Yankees game before heading back out. We went to 30 Rockafeller Plaza (Home of NBC) and were able to go up to the top, which is called "Top of the Rock." We went up at 9:45 p.m., which was really cool to be on the top of one of the tallest buildings at night.

Saturday - Surprised my dad with tickets to the Yankees-Mets game at Yankee Stadium for Father's Day. None of us were Yankees or Mets fans, but going to Yankee Stadium before they tear it down after next year was something we wanted to do. Needless to say, after Friday's 2-0 game, we saw all the offense we needed to. A-Rod and Jeter both hit Home Runs, as well as two guys from the Mets. It was 8-6 in the 6th inning when the rain came and we headed out. It was fun to watch all the interaction and fights between the two sets of fans. It was something I had never seen before.

Sunday - Headed out at 9 a.m. eastern time and arrived back to Boone to drop my brother off at 1:17 a.m. central time. We made pretty good time on the way back.

All in all it was an awesome trip. I'd love to go into any more detail if anyone is wondering about anything for any future trips they might be taking. Here is the link to the photos, which I'll be updated again at a later time when my buddy sends me his photos, but I had most of them anyway.

Photos

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Re: My East Coast Trip Recap

Sounds like you packed a lot in that trip - nicely done!

Skimmed through some of the photos, very nice shots. Especially of the Yankee-Mets game. What camera/lens did ya use? :)

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 781

Nice pictures..... Yankee Stadium pics are out of this world...wow!

curious on one of them... is this a legal pitch?

-keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I used a Nikon D70 with a 70-300 Tamron Lens. We were about 12 rows into the upper deck at Yankee Stadium when I took all of those pictures.

Not sure if that is illegal or not, I assume he had his foot in front of the mound, then pushed off.

My buddy has a few pictures of more Iowa State things that were at the College Football Hall of Fame, but my camera died. When he gets me those, I'll post them on here.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I used a Nikon D70 with a 70-300 Tamron Lens. We were about 12 rows into the upper deck at Yankee Stadium when I took all of those pictures.
    That's a damn nice camera/lens to be getting those kind of shots from where you were. I could tell you location was in the upper deck from some of the other photos. Nice job!

(impatiently waiting until I can get my Canon 30D)

I noticed Tamron makes the same lens for the 30D. I've added it to my list of lenses to research further when I'm ready to buy. Thanks for the shots and camera info!

Last edited by ISUFan22; 06-28-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    That's a damn nice camera/lens to be getting those kind of shots from where you were. I could tell you location was in the upper deck from some of the other photos. Nice job!

(impatiently waiting until I can get my Canon 30D)
    Beings that it was a very nice, bright sunny day helped. I was using the same camera/lens when I took the photos of the Phillies game, but it was a dark, gloomy day.

Here's my Favorite Picture...A Rod going Yard!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I was reading the review on that lens. It struggles in the lower lighting, which shows some in the photos from the Phillies game. Still great shots though.

And in placed where you can have a tripod, lower lighting (and lack of IS on this lens) won't be all that bad.