Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 149

Our spread offense...

Most spreads are based on speed and 1 on 1 matchups. I think that is where having the spread in Ames is flawed. Basically everyone runs some form of spread in the Big 12. Even the Texas, and Nebraska Pro Style are more spread today because of guys like Colt and NUs current QB Martinez. To be faster then they are we have to out recruit them... hmmm

i think we would be better off mixing it up, going under center sometimes, developing a power offensive line, sometimes using Woody or someone else as a full back etc... You could still go out of shotgun on certain drives etc.. Even on the one yard line we go out of shotgun which is just dumb.

Spread just isnt gimicky anymore.

The only other way to have an effective spread is to spread the field and have a qb that is really accurate and good at reading defenses, like Texas Tech.

Some people just say we dont have the right guys in the system yet. my thoughts would be why dont we have the right system for the guys we currently have then? we have a decent oline and great tailbacks. So, run, run, run... play action, etc to get guys open down field.

Last edited by Tedcyclone; 09-24-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: Our spread offense...

The truth is, is that we really dont have the right kids in here for Hermans spread yet. I think Austen Arnaud would dominate in a Pro Style more than a spread offense. Like he did his sophomore year. Its going to take time to get Rhoads and Hermans kids in here. Thats why most coaches get 5 or 6 year contracts to get their recruited kids in.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,619
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 187

I agree to an extent. When you can't out recruit your opponents then change the game. Look how much trouble people have game planning for Navy. I think a power game might work, but you would also have to have a defense that could defend the spread without ever seeing it from their own teams offense in practice.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 149

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    I agree to an extent. When you can't out recruit your opponents then change the game. Look how much trouble people have game planning for Navy. I think a power game might work, but you would also have to have a defense that could defend the spread without ever seeing it from their own teams offense in practice.

we have a defense that sees a spread every day now and... oops. :)

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 127

I've had similar thoughts in recent days. . . . Install the spread offense now and have the kids fully indoctrinated, or use an offense (e.g., pro) better suited to the current roster that will have to transition as the athletes change?

I'm a whatever the coaches think guy, they know far more than I know about the subject. It's their business, I'm a spectator. I won't second-guess them on this, because I have no reasonable standing to do so (just like so many others here).

For we fans, I believe conventional wisdom is way off the mark. Two of our weakest team areas are ones many of we fans believe to be our deepest and most talented: The OLine and the Wide Receivers. Along with the DLine, these three areas are our most lacking.

CPR has spoken time and again about how our OLine is in transition to a mobile, leaner, more athletic type of player. The flip side of that by implication, our current line is less mobile and much bigger and not so well suited to what the staff wants to do offensively.

So, what does a leaner, mobile line get you? Blocking on the flanks, the speed to get to the point of attack. The spread, I take it, desires to attack any point on the field where it can create a mismatch. ISU can't do that now with this OLine. Which is why, maybe, the power run game has been at the forefront of our game planning last year and this, and why we don't have a full playbook to call upon.

The OLine is limited in what it can do, and that shackles playcalling. Herman doesn't have the tools on offense yet that he needs to do here what he did at Rice.

The other problem, wideouts who drop the ball too much and do not have the speed to stretch the field and thus create underneath gaps in coverage.

We've recruited a couple of smaller, reputed waterbug-type receivers (fr Jarvis West, 5-6, 154, and commit Teddy Lampkin, 5-7, 159), slap them onto the field along with the likes of 6-7 wideout Donnie Jennert and linemen who can run to the edge and watch the fun develop.

CPR has said these guys fit the new mold of athletic, mobile OLinemen:

Jon Caspers, jr, 6-4, 292 (JUCO, redshirting)
    Brayden Burris, so, 606, 290 (starter at RT)
    Carter Bykowski, so, 6-7, 293 (former TE)
    Kyle Lichtenburg, rfr, 6-6, 271
    Ethan Tuftee, rfr, 6-4, 304

and all five freshmen:

Shaban Dika, 6-5, 291
    Tom Farniok, 6-3, 267
    Jacob Gannon, 6-6, 266
    Bob Graham, 6-4, 291
    Ben Loth, 6-5, 300

Seven freshmen and two sophomores in that group. When they're in position to claim the line two-deeps, we'll then be able to accurately judge what our coaches are capable of producing. But, not until then, as I see it.

From top to bottom, seems one can make an argument that our offensive strengths today rate like this:

Running backs
    Quarterbacks
    Receivers
    Linemen

Boy, myself, I'm excited to see the young linemen work their way up the depth chart and to see what our young quarterbacks, James Capello, rfr, and Jared Barnett, fr, and Sam Richardson, commit, are capable of doing in the next couple of years.

We're in for a wholesale change offensively. But this year, if I were a bettor, I'd wager we're not gonna show much offensive power all season, because we don't have the horsepower ready to go yet. In the three years prior to CPR's arrival, the program had, what?, 8 victories in 36 games? Can't see why we fans would think that we're not building from the bottom up, despite last season's remarkable outcome.

Just a few ruminations. I'm going to run all this by CPR during his Monday call-in show to discover what's right or wrong about this thinking.

Last edited by CyValley; 09-24-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 643
    Given: 86

Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    Most spreads are based on speed and 1 on 1 matchups. I think that is where having the spread in Ames is flawed. Basically everyone runs some form of spread in the Big 12. Even the Texas, and Nebraska Pro Style are more spread today because of guys like Colt and NUs current QB Martinez. To be faster then they are we have to out recruit them... hmmm

i think we would be better off mixing it up, going under center sometimes, developing a power offensive line, sometimes using Woody or someone else as a full back etc... You could still go out of shotgun on certain drives etc.. Even on the one yard line we go out of shotgun which is just dumb.

The only other way to have an effective spread is to spread the field and have a qb that is really accurate and good at reading defenses, like Texas Tech.

Some people just say we dont have the right guys in the system yet. my thoughts would be why dont we have the right system for the guys we currently have then? we have a decent oline and great tailbacks. So, run, run, run... play action, etc to get guys open down field.
    Our Oline has been sub par and our RBs are not what I would consider great. Good? Yes. Not great. It is obvious that this staff has implemented the system then will go out and find the players to fit it. If you suit your system to your players then you have no consistency from year to year since personel is always changing.

It's all snark from here on out

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 643
    Given: 86

we have a defense that sees a spread every day now and... oops. :)
    They also haven't seen a spread yet this year.

It's all snark from here on out

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 884
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 2

The MOST important aspect of the spread is the QB reading the defense and finding the mis-match and the 1 on 1 battle. AA simply can NOT read a defense, before OR after the snap. Herman and CPR know this and so they do not ask him to. They tell him exactly where and when to throw the ball.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Two ways to build a program. Put a sytem in place and recruit players to fit that system. Mold your system to the players you are able to get and have in plcae.

It is funny how people complained when chizdick put in a defensive system and played it even though he didn't have the right personnel. Smithh at MLB in Tampa 2? On the other side of the ball McFarland completely changed his offense in year two to accommodate the personnel he had. Now it is the opposite. Herman has his systetm and is sticking to it while Wally will try anything until he gets the players he needs.

I don't care how the coaches build a program as long as they stick to their plans. once you start flip flopping around, you lose.

So many moving parts to the spread. You need more than an accurate passer. You need good downfield blocking, quick (not necessarily fast)receivers, and a QB that can hit people in stride. Not to mention an OL that can move in space. Wider splits create wider passing lanes for the quick hitters.

I agree about the power running game. I think right now you are starting to see things trend back. The defenses are loading up with smaller faster players, and DCs are figuring it out. You start to see teams revert back to the power running game and over power smaller DLs/LBs. See what we have seen so far this year. Three power running teams. Texas is going there, CU, OU, Nebraska...over half our opponents are power running teams or will be in the future.

"Not at the table Carlos."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYGREG View Post
    The MOST important aspect of the spread is the QB reading the defense and finding the mis-match and the 1 on 1 battle. AA simply can NOT read a defense, before OR after the snap. Herman and CPR know this and so they do not ask him to. They tell him exactly where and when to throw the ball.
    Hmmm. I thought the hurry up to the line, stop, look to the sideline, stop look to the sideline was because our OC was reading the defense and adjusting the play. It has been like that from day one and I doubt it changes with another QB. You see this all across college football and not in just in Ames.

IMO- the most important aspect is that everyone is on the same page and execute together.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,491
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 40

people have been saying "we don't have the right players here to run Herman's offense."

Newsflash! We will not ever get those players!

Are those players found in small towns across iowa? Nope.
    Are those players found in Texas? Yes
    If you were a D-1 player in Texas, being recruited by the big boys (whom also run the spread) would you choose iowa state over the texas/a&m/ok/ok state/ tcu 's of the world? Nope

You know who's good in the midwest? Teams that run inside run offenses. Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska.

The spread will never work here in ames iowa. Its like a snowboard company setting up shop in Afghanistan.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,491
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 40

missouri and KU had good seasons. And they still got their **** rocked by OU

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYGREG View Post
    The MOST important aspect of the spread is the QB reading the defense and finding the mis-match and the 1 on 1 battle. . . .
    I wonder what this says about James Capello. In the preseason, CPR and/or Herman said the young man came into a program in fall 2009 in poor shape but since then has transformed himself in the weight room.

This fall, the thing most noted by the coaches about Capello, seems to me, is his passing accuracy. CPR has made mention of this at least twice that I recall on his call-in show.

So, if while running the spread in practice preseason, Capello showed excellent accuracy, does this likely mean he's doing an exceptional job of reading defenses to find the most likely receiver?

Since watching his high school highlights in the winter of 2009, I've been a James Capello fan. Could be he might seemingly spring out from nowhere to be a powerful factor in next spring's quarterback derby. I'm hoping so, anyway.

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Our Oline has been sub par and our RBs are not what I would consider great. Good? Yes. Not great. It is obvious that this staff has implemented the system then will go out and find the players to fit it. If you suit your system to your players then you have no consistency from year to year since personel is always changing.
    Interesting enough, I thought McFarland did a good job adjusting his system to the players.

I think at ISU, and any program that is building, you have to have some wiggle room in the system. Until we win consitently, you will not always get the players you need for your system.

I think at ISU there has to be a blend of the building philosophies. Herman did that at Rice with James. He moved him around and utilized him. Big difference right now is at Rice, Herman had two NFL players catching balls and playing against Conference USA defenses. At ISU he has no NFL type skill players plaing against BCS defenses.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    people have been saying "we don't have the right players here to run Herman's offense."

Newsflash! We will not ever get those players!

Are those players found in small towns across iowa? Nope.
    Are those players found in Texas? Yes
    If you were a D-1 player in Texas, being recruited by the big boys (whom also run the spread) would you choose iowa state over the texas/a&m/ok/ok state/ tcu 's of the world? Nope

You know who's good in the midwest? Teams that run inside run offenses. Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska.

The spread will never work here in ames iowa. Its like a snowboard company setting up shop in Afghanistan.
    Agree about getting the palyers but the zone read is an inside run game. Most of those runs are between the tackles or are designed that way.

Afghanistan has some good mountains that I would love to snowboard