Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 833
    Given: 217

Blum: Cyclone Psychology

Here's the latest from Brent Blum. I think you'll enjoy this column.

CycloneFanatic.com - Brent Blum with Iowa State Cyclone psychology | Cyclone Fanatic

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

Re: Blum: Cyclone Psychology

Funny, I was listening to the Baylor radio play-by-play of the ISU -Baylor VB match last night, and there was no "making fun" of the Cyclones - more like total respect. Even after winning the first set, they were wary of what was to come.

As Brent finally summed it up - it all comes down to winning. In any sport at ISU, if we get the right coach, and he/she puts in place the right product, there's respect from other schools, not laughter.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Ugh. Brought up some bad memories. The Cyclones just need to start winning again. Imagine if the realignment would have gone down in 2000? Completely different imagine and result.

From 2000-2009, ISU was in the middle or upper half of the B12 in bowl participation at 6 ('00, '01, '02, '04, '05, '09). However, sports fans and meida have a shorts memory, no more than 3 years. Perception is reality. We need some more winning seasons in FB and MBB to improve both.

I think there is a lot that Cyclone Nation could to to improve our own negativity.

"I'm proud to lead this program and this team in whatever we do. Whether it's a community service project, or through practice or winning a bowl game, but you don't do that without the kids believing and being all in, and going out there and accomplishing all [of] the goals and expectations that we set." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 567
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 103

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Funny, I was listening to the Baylor radio play-by-play of the ISU -Baylor VB match last night, and there was no "making fun" of the Cyclones - more like total respect. Even after winning the first set, they were wary of what was to come.

As Brent finally summed it up - it all comes down to winning. In any sport at ISU, if we get the right coach, and he/she puts in place the right product, there's respect from other schools, not laughter.
    Exactly Tornado. Glad that thru my nonsense, the point was somewhat clear. Volleyball is a great example. Thanks for reading.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I remember one write-up on realignment, where the writer was comparing Director's Cup rankings and admitted to being shocked that we were #22 (IIRC) at the time. Again, perception is reality and reality is football. Just ask KU...

"I'm proud to lead this program and this team in whatever we do. Whether it's a community service project, or through practice or winning a bowl game, but you don't do that without the kids believing and being all in, and going out there and accomplishing all [of] the goals and expectations that we set." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 44

I'm an ISU alum and I've lived in a lot of different areas of the country. ISU fans are a psychologically damaged and dysfunctional lot - myself included. Call it "beaten wife syndrome" or something else - we have been abused and show the scars.

"Explode and tear this whole town apart
    Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart
    Find somebody itching for something to start"

"The Promised Land" Bruce Springsteen

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsCy View Post
    I'm an ISU alum and I've lived in a lot of different areas of the country. ISU fans are a psychologically damaged and dysfunctional lot - myself included. Call it "beaten wife syndrome" or something else - we have been abused and show the scars.
    I wonder how much more than other fan bases. The general sports fan base up here in MN is the same. Even when successful they expect the worst to happen to ruin it. The Vikings have several examples. The Gophers are viewed even more fatalistically.

Prospect
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think Dr. Blum deserves his own weekly segment on ESPN. DOCTOR BLUUUUUUM DOCTOR BLUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

It is all about the wins. Within the Big 12 North, I think there are only two teams who haven't won the North and gone onto the Big 12 Championship, if I'm not mistaken. Those teams are Kansas and Iowa State. ISU did have that 2004 season where they were the closest, but still.

However, Kansas had that magical year where they went to the BCS game, and won the Orange Bowl. It should be noted that Missouri got possibly gipped by not getting selected over Kansas that year, though they had won the Big 12 North. Missouri and ISU are the only Big 12 North teams that have not made it to a BCS game.

ISU, on the other hand, has finished with a winning record in the Big 12 play only once (2000 at 5-3). The Cyclones have several 4-4 conference seasons, but quite a few 1-7 seasons as well. That simply isn't going to turn any heads.

Let's face it. Though ISU may not be the worst team in the Big 12, they certainly have sat at or near the bottom a lot. Just like Baylor gets no respect from the rest of the conference, neither does ISU, for precisely the same reasons. Iowa State needs more wins, and needs them consistently, if they expect people to take them seriously. Should be pretty easy, right?

Data compiled from Wikipedia page on Big 12 football. Note that the data does not differentiate between ties for standings.

Brett Blume
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well said edr. And big fan of the circle graphs!

Twitter.com/brentblum

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StPaulCyclone View Post
    Ugh. Brought up some bad memories. The Cyclones just need to start winning again. Imagine if the realignment would have gone down in 2000? Completely different imagine and result.

From 2000-2009, ISU was in the middle or upper half of the B12 in bowl participation at 6 ('00, '01, '02, '04, '05, '09). However, sports fans and meida have a shorts memory, no more than 3 years. Perception is reality. We need some more winning seasons in FB and MBB to improve both.

I think there is a lot that Cyclone Nation could to to improve our own negativity.
    Wouldn't have mattered with alignment. heck Kansas was on the outside looking in and they have MBB and recent success in football.

"Not at the table Carlos."

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 41

It all comes down to how long can we give CPR? My thinking is that we give the guy DMAC type of patience. Frankly, if we are patient with CPR, continue to support football for the next few years he's got a chance to really turn the corner into respectability. 6-8 win seasons on a near constant basis.

Our insane coaching turnover (both head coach and assistant) has been the death of ISU football the last 7-8 years...it's as simple as that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    Exactly Tornado. Glad that thru my nonsense, the point was somewhat clear. Volleyball is a great example. Thanks for reading.
    Good article. I say this about ISU fans allthe time. We expect bad things to happen and expect to lose. When we are winning and something bad happens, you can feel it in the stands. It is the "here we go again" feeling. Prime examples in my lifetime...KSU come back in 1999, ISU vs Oklahoma in 2002, 2004 Missouri game, @005 Nebbie, KU and Missouri game, 2007 Oklahoma game, 2008 Kansas game. Even games we have won but teams start to come back CU last year, Iowa 2007, NIU this year.

In all those games, we were playing well and/or winning. All of those games a play was made by the other team and ISU fans everywhere murmured "here we go again." When it is a home game, you can feel the energy sucked out of the crowd. Heck against NIU this year, when we had the 18 yard punt and gave them the ball at the 40, the stadium just died. Against iowa when Shaggy was getting ready to kick, I heard more "he is going to miss this" than anything.

Our fanbase just has a "here we go again, another kick to the groin" attitude and we need to reverse that.

"Not at the table Carlos."

Brett Blume
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    Good article. I say this about ISU fans allthe time. We expect bad things to happen and expect to lose. When we are winning and something bad happens, you can feel it in the stands. It is the "here we go again" feeling. Prime examples in my lifetime...KSU come back in 1999, ISU vs Oklahoma in 2002, 2004 Missouri game, @005 Nebbie, KU and Missouri game, 2007 Oklahoma game, 2008 Kansas game. Even games we have won but teams start to come back CU last year, Iowa 2007, NIU this year.

In all those games, we were playing well and/or winning. All of those games a play was made by the other team and ISU fans everywhere murmured "here we go again." When it is a home game, you can feel the energy sucked out of the crowd. Heck against NIU this year, when we had the 18 yard punt and gave them the ball at the 40, the stadium just died. Against iowa when Shaggy was getting ready to kick, I heard more "he is going to miss this" than anything.

Our fanbase just has a "here we go again, another kick to the groin" attitude and we need to reverse that.
    Very true. Now the million dollar question: How do you find the balance between having high expectations and having enough patience and support to let the coaches build a program? That's the tough part.

Twitter.com/brentblum

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    It all comes down to how long can we give CPR? My thinking is that we give the guy DMAC type of patience. Frankly, if we are patient with CPR, continue to support football for the next few years he's got a chance to really turn the corner into respectability. 6-8 win seasons on a near constant basis.

Our insane coaching turnover (both head coach and assistant) has been the death of ISU football the last 7-8 years...it's as simple as that.
    This x1000. Hopefully you guys can find a coach that can lead the Cyclones to wins (with the exception of the Iowa game ). And then stick with that coach as long as you can!

Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post

Well, with that, you have both the negative people, but you also have a fair share of people who believe that "reverse psychology" will somehow trick fate/God/the football. Also, you have people who purposefully lower expectations so that if something goes wrong, they can say "I told you!".