Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 86

UNI's Superbowl??

My girlfriend works at the country club in New Hampton (IA), and recently UNI held a coaches golf outing there. They had a little program in the club house, and she mentioned that every single UNI coach mentioned how much they were gunning for Iowa State, especially the football program, talking about how we passed on all the guys they recruited, to pick up out of state players. This confirms what I've felt about playing UNI. They go absolutely balls out against, bringing their top game plan, and in the past (under Dan) we always seemed so lacksidasical and unprepared, as if we weren't taking this serious, and last year we were a couple of feet from it biting us in the ***. I have a total faith that Chizik will not take this game lightly, yet at the same time the passion that UNI brings at us (being as they are mostly wannabe Hawkeyes) scares me a little. This is a game I really wish we didn't play...

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: UNI's Superbowl??

I am an Iowa State fan 1st and a UNI grad 2nd. I understand your point, but in the overall picture I would rather see UNI get the money for this game than some out of state school with no fan appeal.

When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,075
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 46

I'm not going to call anything anyone's "Superbowl." Yeah, I understand that some games are more emotional than others, but in the realm of college football every game is make or break. The elite programs don't have any "superbowls" because they essentially play one every weekend - they've been there before.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    talking about how we passed on all the guys they recruited, to pick up out of state players.
    That's what 1AA teams have to do. Let's be honest, recruiting at UNI would be the easiest job in the world. Follow up on all the local recruits that wanted to play but didn't pan out for ISU, Iowa, MN, or Wisconsin.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I won't condescend to UNI fans by inferring it's their Superbowl. That's too much like what Iowa fans try to do to us. They actually played in the 1AA Superbowl a couple of years ago.

It's a great game for them financially, and I think Dan could have lost a couple if we had been doing home and home instead of playing all games in Ames.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Come on guys, you know who we sound like don't you?

Every team has a game that they value more than others, even if they don't want to admit it.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    Come on guys, you know who we sound like don't you?

Every team has a game that they value more than others, even if they don't want to admit it.
    Exactly! I cringe every time I hear the phrase "it's their Superbowl". It's like a rite of passage for our neighbors to the east to use this phrase on at least 50 occasions during their lifetime.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

It's a great game for them financially, and I think Dan could have lost a couple if we had been doing home and home instead of playing all games in Ames.
    Considering we set the single game attendance record against UNI, it's a pretty good game for us financially too. I would love to play them every year.

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 257

I wont bash UNI. If they get all powered up for this game and see it as important, than it is. They are a well rounded team and for them to play us so hard, its an honor. I view them as a respected brother. With Iowa, i see them as a bitchy half-sister.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Don't lower yourself to certain schools level by raising ISU on some pedestal. When a team wants to beat you bad, it should be taken with great respect, and you should do so in return. This is what college sports are all about. UNI has played ISU tought in the past to say the least, and we are in no position to look down on them.

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 257

Quote Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
    Don't lower yourself to certain schools level by raising ISU on some pedestal. When a team wants to beat you bad, it should be taken with great respect, and you should do so in return. This is what college sports are all about. UNI has played ISU tought in the past to say the least, and we are in no position to look down on them.

Exactly. We of all fans should not look down on competition. Look at the supposed "lesser" teams that have beat us in various sports. Its a crapshoot. We should never play down to anyone and go balls out every game every day.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    This confirms what I've felt about playing UNI. They go absolutely balls out against, bringing their top game plan, and in the past (under Dan) we always seemed so lacksidasical and unprepared, as if we weren't taking this serious, and last year we were a couple of feet from it biting us in the ***.

This is a game I really wish we didn't play...
    First...replace UNI with Iowa State, Iowa State with Iowa, and Dan with Kirk above and you sound like Hawkeye fan talking about the Iowa/ISU rivalry.

Second...How is a 45-0 shellacking not being prepared??? Cyclones Overpower Northern Iowa in Season Opener, 45-0 - CYCLONES.com—The Official Web Site of Iowa State University Athletics

I do agree that two of the last three meetings were WAY too close for my comfort!!. 17-10 in 2003 and last years 28-27 score with a missed last second FG by Brian (Mr. Automatic) Wingert.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

I would like to see a team that executes a game plan precisely rather than relying on emotion. Emotion has its place, but especially in football, can bring bad results; i.e. overpursuit, missed assignment. I'm a sucker for an all-business, stoic, grind it out, old school beatdown type team.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I personally wish that we wouldn't play UNI. First off, many of their players are ****** because ISU didn't want them, so their team is fired up. Second, any success that UNI has hurts our walk-on program. We want kids to walk-on at ISU rather than take a scholarship at UNI. So, I hope that their program is ground into the dirt. Third, ANY loss to UNI is a coach killer. Chizik would be able to survive a loss to them this year (not that it will happen) just because it's his first year. But if Mac would have lost to them last year, he would have been fired even earlier and NO ONE would have complained.

BTW, looking at the future FB schedules, I think someone agrees with me. We're playing NDSt, SDSt, no UNI. At least through 2013.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    I would like to see a team that executes a game plan precisely rather than relying on emotion. Emotion has its place, but especially in football, can bring bad results; i.e. overpursuit, missed assignment. I'm a sucker for an all-business, stoic, grind it out, old school beatdown type team.
    I think that's what we have in Chizik. Mac was perfect for ISU when he got here. He fired the team up, picked up a few good victories, and drug the team into mediocrity (which was a huge step up). Now we need someone who is all business. We need better talent and execution, not more emotion.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX